#21 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 01 September 2011 - 08:29 AM

Just wanted to jump back into this thread. This beer is fantasic and beats the pants off of any commercial pumpkin ale. I LOVE pumpkin ales and have tried a good number of them, but this version has it all. Aroma, color, malt, and layered spices throughout. Many of the commercial versions I've had either are over the top for me (Schlafly, Southern Tier Pump-king, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale) or not enough (O'Fallon, Shipyard Pumpkinhead, New Holland Ichabod). I've heard good things about Smuttynose but haven't had a chance to try it. Mine is now fully carbed and it just oozes the feeling of Fall. Hope everyone's turns out as good as mine!Cheers!

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 01 September 2011 - 12:23 PM

Just wanted to jump back into this thread. This beer is fantasic and beats the pants off of any commercial pumpkin ale. I LOVE pumpkin ales and have tried a good number of them, but this version has it all. Aroma, color, malt, and layered spices throughout. Many of the commercial versions I've had either are over the top for me (Schlafly, Southern Tier Pump-king, Dogfish Head Punkin Ale) or not enough (O'Fallon, Shipyard Pumpkinhead, New Holland Ichabod). I've heard good things about Smuttynose but haven't had a chance to try it. Mine is now fully carbed and it just oozes the feeling of Fall. Hope everyone's turns out as good as mine! Cheers!

Nice! Probably brewing mine next week with WLP001 with the plans of having it on tap in mid-October. Cheers Amigo!

#23 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:54 AM

Doing this one on Monday. I have not done a pumpkin spice beer for a few years. Last one was a pumpkin porter that was very nice but want to try something else. A local museum is having a beer tasting event again this year that home brewers are invited to. I am planning on serving this alongside a citra wheat. I plan to caramelize some of the pumpkin puree a bit before mashing it.Ken, what efficiency are your recipes calculated with?

#24 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:48 AM

Doing this one on Monday. I have not done a pumpkin spice beer for a few years. Last one was a pumpkin porter that was very nice but want to try something else. A local museum is having a beer tasting event again this year that home brewers are invited to. I am planning on serving this alongside a citra wheat. I plan to caramelize some of the pumpkin puree a bit before mashing it. Ken, what efficiency are your recipes calculated with?

I typically assume 75% but my calcs have ranged from 72 into the low 80s. Assume 75 and you'll be fine.

#25 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87103 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:03 PM

brewing this on monday ;)

#26 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 03 September 2011 - 06:12 AM

Doing this one on Monday. I have not done a pumpkin spice beer for a few years. Last one was a pumpkin porter that was very nice but want to try something else. A local museum is having a beer tasting event again this year that home brewers are invited to. I am planning on serving this alongside a citra wheat. I plan to caramelize some of the pumpkin puree a bit before mashing it. Ken, what efficiency are your recipes calculated with?

I was up at Schlafly Bottleworks here in St. Louis yesterday afternoon and blended their Oatmeal Stout with their Pumpkin Ale and it was out freaking standing! Two parts Oatmeal Stout and one part Pumpkin Ale...a delicious Fall treat! :blush:

#27 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87103 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 05 September 2011 - 09:42 AM

mash water on!!! smack pack smacked :cheers:

#28 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 12:51 PM

mash water on!!! smack pack smacked :cheers:

Nice. I am making a German Helles tomorrow and plan to make the spiced pumpkin ale later in the week with WLP001. Cheers!

#29 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:35 PM

Just brought mine to the fermentation chamber. Made one screw up though, used 1.5 tsp instead of 1.5 tablespoons for the spices. It may be offset by having to use a can of pumpkin pie mix instead of straight pumpkin as that was all I could find. Still smelled good going into the fermenter.

#30 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 05 September 2011 - 01:54 PM

Just brought mine to the fermentation chamber. Made one screw up though, used 1.5 tsp instead of 1.5 tablespoons for the spices. It may be offset by having to use a can of pumpkin pie mix instead of straight pumpkin as that was all I could find. Still smelled good going into the fermenter.

I would rather have too little spice than too much, I guess you could always dry spice it.

#31 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 05 September 2011 - 02:16 PM

I would rather have too little spice than too much, I guess you could always dry spice it.

I agree with that. Ken's recipe does call for a dry spice and I plan to do that but I am going to split the spice up to 2 separate additions. Add one and then taste and if it needs the rest add that in. No way to come back from too much other than to blend.

#32 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87103 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 06 September 2011 - 08:07 AM

well, final on mine was 1.051... also had to swap the American Pale for Maris Otter... should be a fine change though...

#33 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 05:02 PM

Had to go to three different stores to find the can of plain pumpkin squishins. The first two stores had "pumpkin pie mix" which was pumpkin, sugar, spices and a couple other things that slip my mind now. I thought... I can't use THIS! but I'm not sure if I could or couldn't. I kept looking and found a 30-ounce can (just plain pumpkin) and I also picked up some good brown sugar as well. So I have all of the ingredients including the pumpkin pie spice and I plan to brew this beer on Thursday with Hallertau Tradition as the hop addition and WLP001 for the yeast. It will be a good, quick ferment (probably low 60s), then some time in secondary with the spice and hopefully into the keg and served by mid-October. I'm short on beer so I see no reason why this one won't get to the taps by then. Cheers!

#34 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 06:43 PM

Mine is chugging away at 67. I only had light brown sugar so I put a bit of molasses in with it. Maybe a tablespoon. The airlock smells damn good right now. :P

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 08 September 2011 - 05:06 AM

Orangy-brown colored mash has begun at 152°. Spices and brown sugar are measured out and Hallertau Tradition and White Labs 01 are standing by. This is pretty late for me to make this beer... I'd like to see it on tap in about 5 weeks. Cheers PumpkinBeerHeads!

#36 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:31 AM

Ken, just want to say I served a slightly modified (less spices and added some molasses to make up for the lack of dark brown sugar) version of this last night at a public event and it was a huge hit. Killed 5g pretty quickly with many people coming back for more and saying it was one of the best pumpkin beers they have had. Great recipe you have here. :cheers:

#37 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:57 AM

Ken, just want to say I served a slightly modified (less spices and added some molasses to make up for the lack of dark brown sugar) version of this last night at a public event and it was a huge hit. Killed 5g pretty quickly with many people coming back for more and saying it was one of the best pumpkin beers they have had. Great recipe you have here. :cheers:

Awesome Drez! It sounds like you made a great beer. Mine is still in secondary but heading for a keg this weekend. Cheers!

#38 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:04 AM

Kegging this tonight. Cheers,Rich

#39 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53514 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 11:52 AM

Mine is cold, carbed and kegged. It came out a little dry for my taste and this is a beer that can use some sweetness. Since the beer is cold, can you see boiling some water, adding some brown sugar and then letting that cool and adding it to the keg? I don't think the yeast will metabolize the sugar because the beer is about 35°. Thoughts on whether it's a good idea, how much, etc.? Cheers.

#40 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 87103 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 18 October 2011 - 01:19 PM

kegged mine this weekend... lightly carbed, much lighter drinking beer than it looks like it would be... wifey loves it

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users