42 replies to this topic

#1 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 05:39 AM

I know there is another busy thread right now about pumpkin beers so I figured that it's that time of the year & time for a recipe.

Summoned Spirits Spiced Pumpkin Ale

8 lbs American Pale Malt
8 oz Crystal 120°L
4 oz Brown Sugar (added to the boil, not mash)
1.5 oz Chocolate
1.5 oz Roasted Barley
30 ounces of canned pumpkin added to the mash (mash everything at 152-154°)
1 oz of mild hops like Mt. Hood, Tettnanger, Hallertau, Willamette, etc. at 4.0 to 4.5% for 60 minutes

1½ tablespoons of pumpkin pie spice added to the brewpot and steeped for 15 minutes (lid on) after flameout

White Labs 01 California Ale yeast, 1056 or dry US-05

1½ teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice added to something like Captain Morgan's, Barardi Spice or anything that will keep the spice sanitary. Combine spice and rum in a container with a tight-fitting lid a few days before racking the beer to secondary. Add the spice & rum mixture to the secondary and rack the beer on top to mix it well

OG: 1.049, FG: 1.012, IBU: 19, SRM: 15, ABV: 4.8%

I have made this beer 3 or 4 times now and I seem to be able to recreate it pretty well. Buffalo Bill's Pumkpin Ale was the inspiration for this beer with it's dark color and sweet, spicy flavor. This is not a beer where hops or the yeast should lend much of anything. You want to create a nice, malty beer that is just barely balanced with hops and create a base for the spice to do its thing. The addition of pumpkin is an option as the pumpkin may not lend much flavor. But I do think that the mashed pumpkin adds a small amount of fermentables and also gives the beer a bit of an orangy color. Some brewers will cut a pumpkin (no skin) into small chunks and roast them in the oven. To get around that, I used some roasted grain in the recipe along with canned pumpkin from the grocery store which simply gets added to the mash. The pumpkin can cause some runoff issues (slowing the draining of the mash vessel) so you might consider adding rice hulls to your mash.

This is all about personal preference. I like the hops to balance the sweetness of the wort and that's it. I also like a neutral yeast because I don't want hops, spice and complex yeast profiles battling for attention with my tastebuds. The amount of spice in the beer is also a personal preference and this may be more than people want. This recipe will place the spice in the front and make it VERY detectable. I don't consider it to be too much for a beer that you will not necessarily be drinking all day. The spice that is added to the brewpot will be mellowed by the heat and the activity of the primary. The spice that is added into secondary will be more up front, creating layers of spice flavor. Another piece of experience I have picked up with this beer is that beers with any type of flavor added (spices, vanilla, fruit, etc.) require a little extra time to mellow and blend. If you want to be drinking your spiced pumpkin ale from mid-October up until Halloween, it's best to brew it sometime in August to allow the beer to sit awhile. If it doesn't have enough time to age, the spice flavor will be a little sharper and less smooth than you might like.

Posted Image Posted Image

#2 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 26 August 2010 - 08:32 AM

I'm brewing my pumpkin ale next week too. It goes sooooo good with college football! :)

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 09:27 AM

I'm brewing my pumpkin ale next week too. It goes sooooo good with college football! :)

Yep! Those crisp, sunny days of fall with some leaves, football, etc. I think I bypassed the pumpkin ale last year for some reason so I'm fired up about it this time around. Cheers Amigo!

#4 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 10:36 AM

Ken, if you want to use a spiced rum, go for some Sailor Jerry. It's a spiced rum that's so good I'll drink it straight! I used it in my Xmas beer last year and it was a great addition.

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 02:29 PM

Ken, if you want to use a spiced rum, go for some Sailor Jerry. It's a spiced rum that's so good I'll drink it straight! I used it in my Xmas beer last year and it was a great addition.

Hmm, never heard of it. At some point I was looking for something that I could soak the spice in to make it easier to work with and to keep it sanitary. I was thinking that anything could work (vodka, whiskey, etc) but when I looked through my liquor stash I saw both Captain Morgan and Bacardi Spice and thought they would be perfect for this type of beer. I really have no idea if any of the rum flavor carries over to the beer, but I suppose it's possible. Everything went smoothly and I pitched a big slurry of clean, smooth 1056 that smelled awesome after fermenting a batch of MLPA. The pumpkin beer is already slowly bubbling. Cheers.

#6 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:03 PM

I was thinking that anything could work (vodka, whiskey, etc) but when I looked through my liquor stash I saw both Captain Morgan and Bacardi Spice and thought they would be perfect for this type of beer. I really have no idea if any of the rum flavor carries over to the beer, but I suppose it's possible.

I think you're right. Anything would work, but I do feel that depending on how much you use it will carry over. In the Xmas beer I did last year I soaked the oak in Sailor Jerry and it turned out very oak-y, vanilla-y, and it had a touch of rummyness. I think I might have even brought a bottle over to your place...but I can't remember.

If you're just going to sanitize everything with the rum then I think anything will do, but if you're looking for some of the flavor I think a high quality rum is where it's at!

EDIT: Booyah! Sailor Jerry

#7 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:05 PM

I think you're right. Anything would work, but I do feel that depending on how much you use it will carry over. In the Xmas beer I did last year I soaked the oak in Sailor Jerry and it turned out very oak-y, vanilla-y, and it had a touch of rummyness. I think I might have even brought a bottle over to your place...but I can't remember. If you're just going to sanitize everything with the rum then I think anything will do, but if you're looking for some of the flavor I think a high quality rum is where it's at!

Thanks Buddy. I need to check that out. What do you think... Binny's?

#8 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 26 August 2010 - 03:14 PM

I would give your local Binny's a call first. Some have it and some don't. I've actually been surprised that even some small liquor stores have it in stock.

#9 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 August 2010 - 07:37 AM

Last year, I mixed the pumpkin spice with vanilla vodka and it turned out great. Believe it or not, I got small hints of the vanilla in the finished beer. I could have been just imagining that but whatever....it was good!

#10 deejaydan

deejaydan

Comptroller of Spooning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2308 posts
  • LocationFennville, MI

Posted 07 September 2010 - 06:46 PM

I brewed mine up Saturday... 8 grams Cinnamon sticks (2 3inch stick), 4 grams nutmeg (about a half a nutmeg), 2 grams cloves, and 2 grams candied Ginger went in with 5 to go in the boil, and the same amounts are soaking in vodka to add once fermentation is complete.

#11 mikesarney

mikesarney

Advanced Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  • LocationBridgeville, PA

Posted 10 September 2010 - 07:54 AM

I was digging through my grains on Saturday when I was brewing, and saw both the chocolate and roasted barley. Total "why the hell did I buy these?" moment. I was going to brew this last year, but never did. Might give it a try this weekend if I have the time.

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 30 October 2010 - 04:28 PM

So it's the night before Halloween and this beer has been on tap here for the past 2 weeks or so. I have been handing out glasses and growlers of it and it may be close to gone at this point. This year's batch turned out really nice. Dark, smooth, slightly sweet and the perfect amount of spice. This picture doesn't really get the good clarity but this beer had 2 pounds of pumpkin mush in the mash along with 2 spice additions and it's as clear as it can possibly be. That cold addition of gel solution in the keg is MAGIC! Cheers!
Posted Image

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 29 August 2011 - 10:31 AM

Ken, I am going to try to brew this next weekend. I have a question: 1.5oz choclate, is that actual chocolate or chocolate malt? If its not malt, what kind of chocolate should I use?Cheers,Rich

#14 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:28 AM

Ken, I am going to try to brew this next weekend. I have a question: 1.5oz choclate, is that actual chocolate or chocolate malt? If its not malt, what kind of chocolate should I use? Cheers, Rich

Rich - He's talking chocolate malt. Our recipes differ slightly as I use C80 and more brown sugar. You could use either a american or belgian chocolate malt. It adds mainly color and just a bit of roasty-ness. The secondary spice addition really brings another layer of spice to the beer...really nice. I can see if you want to tone back the pumpkin spice, just cut the secondary spice down a bit. I put just this on tap last night myself and man is it freakin' good! Cheers! Chad

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 11:54 AM

Rich - He's talking chocolate malt. Our recipes differ slightly as I use C80 and more brown sugar. You could use either a american or belgian chocolate malt. It adds mainly color and just a bit of roasty-ness. The secondary spice addition really brings another layer of spice to the beer...really nice. I can see if you want to tone back the pumpkin spice, just cut the secondary spice down a bit. I put just this on tap last night myself and man is it freakin' good! Cheers! Chad

Awesome! This will be my first time making a beer with anything but malt, hops, and yeast. Cheers, Rich

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:18 PM

Yeah, chocolate malt. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have a batch of MLPA and a batch of an English Pale Ale going right now and I haven't decided if the pumpkin ale should be made with the WLP001 or Wyeast 1099. The MLPA with the WLP001 is going to be done sooner so I think I'll use that yeast (or part of it) for the pumpkin beer. Chad, you have yours on draft already? Wow, you're all over it, Amigo. I plan to make mine shortly and have it ready my mid-October. I typically do this and the beer is usually gone right around Halloween. Cheers Beerheads and good luck with the Spiced Pumpkin Ales! :)

#17 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:36 PM

Yeah, chocolate malt. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have a batch of MLPA and a batch of an English Pale Ale going right now and I haven't decided if the pumpkin ale should be made with the WLP001 or Wyeast 1099. The MLPA with the WLP001 is going to be done sooner so I think I'll use that yeast (or part of it) for the pumpkin beer. Chad, you have yours on draft already? Wow, you're all over it, Amigo. I plan to make mine shortly and have it ready my mid-October. I typically do this and the beer is usually gone right around Halloween. Cheers Beerheads and good luck with the Spiced Pumpkin Ales! :)

I think I am going to make 10 gallons of this, because the first 5 will be consumed very fast by friends and I would like to have a personal stash too. Cheers, Rich

#18 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 29 August 2011 - 02:44 PM

Just kegged my Red/Spiced ale this week.Unfortunately,this won't last until October here.Lots of thirsty travelers excited about a glass or two.

#19 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 August 2011 - 08:53 AM

Yeah, chocolate malt. Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I have a batch of MLPA and a batch of an English Pale Ale going right now and I haven't decided if the pumpkin ale should be made with the WLP001 or Wyeast 1099. The MLPA with the WLP001 is going to be done sooner so I think I'll use that yeast (or part of it) for the pumpkin beer. Chad, you have yours on draft already? Wow, you're all over it, Amigo. I plan to make mine shortly and have it ready my mid-October. I typically do this and the beer is usually gone right around Halloween. Cheers Beerheads and good luck with the Spiced Pumpkin Ales! ;)

I just tapped the first of two kegs last night. Not quite fully carbed yet but it's almost there and it will be fantastic (pics to come later)! It has a reddish, slightly dark color with an aroma that reminds you of your Mom's kitchen at Thanksgiving dessert time! For me, the beer has a great balance of malt and spice. Hops are only there to offset the sweetness of the malt. My version is a bigger than Ken's as it clocks in at 6.3% ABV so it makes a nice sipper or after dinner beer. Ken's is more of a session version... Enjoy brewing and drinking it and let us know your's turns out! Cheers!

#20 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53902 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 09:23 AM

Ken's is more of a session version...

In case you haven't noticed, all of my beers are session versions! I don't have an "Imperial" anything! ;) Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users