Photo
- - - - -

What are your thoughts on Smuttynose Portsmouth Lager?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

I want to make something similar. How about some tips, y'all!

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

I want to make something similar. How about some tips, y'all!

Never tried this one - what style of lager is it?note: I really like their other stuff though

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28136 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:40 AM

Never tried this one - what style of lager is it?note: I really like their other stuff though

How about their IPA? I find that to taste like a bottle of grapefruit juice. ...well, I haven't had it in about 3 years......so they may have changed it a little. Too much citrus in my opinion.MB

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

How about their IPA? I find that to taste like a bottle of grapefruit juice. ...well, I haven't had it in about 3 years......so they may have changed it a little. Too much citrus in my opinion.MB

Haven't had that one in a while actually so I can't remember - the only one I drink on a regular basis is the pale ale.

#5 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 10 May 2009 - 07:09 AM

I love the IPA. mmmm....grapefruit. I love Smuttynose in general. I've never had a beer from them I didn't like.The Portsmouth Lager is a Vienna. I just went on beeradvocate while I was typing this and saw the first review says they're discontinuing this beer! D'oh! I was so bummed when they took this out of their mix packs. I love that they added the IPA, but stylistically it's too close to the Shoals Pale Ale. I liked having the Brown Ale, Pale Ale and Lager plus a seasonal. That was a great variety pack, especially when the Robust Porter was in season.Now I really want to make one like it. I'll have to go buy a twelve so I can do a tasting. Maybe I should call them up and ask for the recipe since they aren't going to be making it anymore. :cheers:

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:07 PM

I love the IPA. mmmm....grapefruit. I love Smuttynose in general. I've never had a beer from them I didn't like.The Portsmouth Lager is a Vienna. I just went on beeradvocate while I was typing this and saw the first review says they're discontinuing this beer! D'oh! I was so bummed when they took this out of their mix packs. I love that they added the IPA, but stylistically it's too close to the Shoals Pale Ale. I liked having the Brown Ale, Pale Ale and Lager plus a seasonal. That was a great variety pack, especially when the Robust Porter was in season.Now I really want to make one like it. I'll have to go buy a twelve so I can do a tasting. Maybe I should call them up and ask for the recipe since they aren't going to be making it anymore. :)

If they are discontinuing maybe you could get the recipe :cheers:

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 May 2009 - 06:52 AM

If they are discontinuing maybe you could get the recipe :cheers:

That's what I'm thinking. It's a long shot, but it's worth a try.

#8 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 12 May 2009 - 05:58 PM

Tod Mott at Portsmouth Brewery is usually pretty generous with recipe help for homebrewers. I imagine he knows the recipe for Portsmouth Lager since Smuttynose is their sister brewery.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:02 AM

Tod Mott at Portsmouth Brewery is usually pretty generous with recipe help for homebrewers. I imagine he knows the recipe for Portsmouth Lager since Smuttynose is their sister brewery.

Last I knew a guy that lived in my dorm freshmen year of college works there but since I'm not on facebook or any of that shite I haven't communicated with him for some time.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 03:16 AM

Smuttynose just came down to my neck of the woods. I have had the Old Brown Dog Brown, nice beer and just picked up a bottle last week of the Finest Kind IPA. I am interested to try this one. Sorry I have no insight on the Lager but if its like the Brown it should be good. Good Luck if you try for the recipe.

#11 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:57 PM

Thanks to Smutty's website (why didn't I look there first?:covreyes:)...OG: 1.048TG: 1.014Malt: 2-row pale, carastan, special BHops: Czech SaazIBU: 15Color: Deep Golden to Pale AmberWell, I'd say that's a good place to start.

Edited by JKoravos, 13 May 2009 - 08:00 PM.

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:03 PM

Good call J. Looking at the website it figures they don't give the vitals for the Finest Kind. Oh well this thread is about the Lager. Brew on.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 13 May 2009 - 08:25 PM

Good call J. Looking at the website it figures they don't give the vitals for the Finest Kind. Oh well this thread is about the Lager. Brew on.

Yeah, once I saw that I looked to see what it said about the other beers, but the Lager seemed to have the most info posted. Go figure.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:50 AM

I worked on it in ProMash last night, here's my first cut.12 gallons16 lb. Canadian 2-row1 lb. Carastan½ lb. Special "B" 2 oz. Saaz 60 min.1 oz. Saaz 15 min.1 oz. Saaz 5 min.WLP830 German LagerIBU ~16SRM ~8Sach rest @ 149°F 60 min.Thoughts?

#15 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:12 PM

I love the IPA. mmmm....grapefruit. I love Smuttynose in general. I've never had a beer from them I didn't like.The Portsmouth Lager is a Vienna. I just went on beeradvocate while I was typing this and saw the first review says they're discontinuing this beer! D'oh! I was so bummed when they took this out of their mix packs. I love that they added the IPA, but stylistically it's too close to the Shoals Pale Ale. I liked having the Brown Ale, Pale Ale and Lager plus a seasonal. That was a great variety pack, especially when the Robust Porter was in season.Now I really want to make one like it. I'll have to go buy a twelve so I can do a tasting. Maybe I should call them up and ask for the recipe since they aren't going to be making it anymore. ;)

Email them, the head brewer in particular. When I emailed Todd Mott from Portsmouth(Smutty's sister brewery) I got the most detailed response on brewing from a pro ever.

#16 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 15 May 2009 - 10:25 AM

Email them, the head brewer in particular. When I emailed Todd Mott from Portsmouth(Smutty's sister brewery) I got the most detailed response on brewing from a pro ever.

I sent David Yarrington, Exec. Brewer, my recipe and asked for some pointers. We'll see what, if anything, he comes back with.(I was sure to add in the appropriate amount of brown nosing to increase my chances of a response. ;))

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 16 May 2009 - 08:35 AM

I stopped by Harrington Liquors in Chelmsford, I got the last 6-pack of Portsmouth Lager that they had. *tear*

#18 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25319 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 16 May 2009 - 07:41 PM

I love the IPA. mmmm....grapefruit. I love Smuttynose in general. I've never had a beer from them I didn't like.The Portsmouth Lager is a Vienna. I just went on beeradvocate while I was typing this and saw the first review says they're discontinuing this beer! D'oh! I was so bummed when they took this out of their mix packs. I love that they added the IPA, but stylistically it's too close to the Shoals Pale Ale. I liked having the Brown Ale, Pale Ale and Lager plus a seasonal. That was a great variety pack, especially when the Robust Porter was in season.Now I really want to make one like it. I'll have to go buy a twelve so I can do a tasting. Maybe I should call them up and ask for the recipe since they aren't going to be making it anymore. :devil:

You know, I think I may have written a drunken review of this beer on beeradvocate a few years ago. I picked up a 6 in DC IIRC. I really liked it. :angry:

#19 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64049 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:11 AM

You know, I think I may have written a drunken review of this beer on beeradvocate a few years ago. I picked up a 6 in DC IIRC. I really liked it. :D

I started reading the reviews of it over there, but I get kind of annoyed doing that sometimes. If a beer doesn't have at least 7% ABV or come from overseas, most people won't rate it over 3.5. It's kind of funny when you sort the reviews by style, if you go to something like a Vienna Lager you're lucky to get more than a few beers rated above 4, but if you go to IIPA there's 100 rated over 4.25.

#20 Malzig

Malzig

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • LocationBOS

Posted 17 May 2009 - 07:27 PM

I sent David Yarrington, Exec. Brewer, my recipe and asked for some pointers. We'll see what, if anything, he comes back with.

I would have emailed Tod Mott.

I started reading the reviews of it over there, but I get kind of annoyed doing that sometimes. If a beer doesn't have at least 7% ABV or come from overseas, most people won't rate it over 3.5. It's kind of funny when you sort the reviews by style, if you go to something like a Vienna Lager you're lucky to get more than a few beers rated above 4, but if you go to IIPA there's 100 rated over 4.25.

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous sometimes. I was looking at the German Pilsners the other day and only 2 of the top 10 were even German! They gave Pilsner Urquell a "B" and it isn't among the top Czech pilsners, of which only one is Czech!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users