#1 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

Comptroller of Gingerliness

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28132 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:15 AM

I know what I need to make. ...and the time is right to start the oktoberfest for aging. basement is at 61deg right now. ...so a ale yeast is preferred.Go.MB

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 09 May 2009 - 11:49 AM

For 10 gallons?I'd say use the grain bill as posted, add 30 IBU's of any Noble hop variety, and WLP 001, WY 1056 or 1007. Ferment @ 60 ish for 14 days, rack and lager @ 33F till September, themn it's party time. mm Mock Maibock..If you have a little Melanoiden and a scoshe of Caramunich, it might be nice to round out the flavor profile a little.I did just this last weekend but with s-189 @53F

#3 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28132 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 10 May 2009 - 04:46 AM

For 10 gallons?I'd say use the grain bill as posted, add 30 IBU's of any Noble hop variety, and WLP 001, WY 1056 or 1007. Ferment @ 60 ish for 14 days, rack and lager @ 33F till September, themn it's party time. mm Mock Maibock..If you have a little Melanoiden and a scoshe of Caramunich, it might be nice to round out the flavor profile a little.I did just this last weekend but with s-189 @53F

Yeah....10galllons. I'll have to see what I have in my freezer for hops. I know I have willamette, fuggles, Northern Brewer, Cascade, and Centenial.I do have some caramunich kicking around, and aromatic.MB

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 10 May 2009 - 05:17 AM

I know what I need to make. ...and the time is right to start the oktoberfest for aging. basement is at 61deg right now. ...so a ale yeast is preferred.Go.MB

What ale yeast will you use?

#5 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 10 May 2009 - 06:34 AM

I think Micullen idea is good although I would do a 50/50 split of Pils and Munich then add in a small amount of Melanoidin and some Caramunich. As for Hops you didn't list any Noble varieties so I would go with only a 60 min charge of Northern Brewer and no other hops. I don't brew my Ofests with anything more for hops than at 60 mins. For a yeast I would suggest 1007 at your 61 degrees. I think it will attenuate well and I feel it does give an additional maltly profile to the beer which in an Ofest you would want. Let us know what you decide. I need to brew mine in the next month or so as well.

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 10 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

I think Micullen idea is good although I would do a 50/50 split of Pils and Munich then add in a small amount of Melanoidin and some Caramunich. As for Hops you didn't list any Noble varieties so I would go with only a 60 min charge of Northern Brewer and no other hops. I don't brew my Ofests with anything more for hops than at 60 mins. For a yeast I would suggest 1007 at your 61 degrees. I think it will attenuate well and I feel it does give an additional maltly profile to the beer which in an Ofest you would want. Let us know what you decide. I need to brew mine in the next month or so as well.

I only included the MO because he had it there, that and I though a Maibock would be nice for an early fall brew. IIRC the style is considered to be the biggest of the festbiers.I don't think MO would be out of place flavor wise with all that Munich in there.Northern Brewer to 35 IBU would be nice IMO.

#7 AspenLeif

AspenLeif

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28132 posts
  • LocationAspen, CO

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:53 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll see what the LHBS has for yeast strains that were suggested. Yeah, I don't have any noble hops....just what I bought in bulk. These are hops that I use most of, so I typically don't use anything else. I may pick up a couple oz of Saaz though for a finishing hop to the NB. MB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users