No replies to this topic

#1 mTizzle

mTizzle

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2397 posts

Posted 06 August 2010 - 08:59 PM

Tonight I go for something less energy filled and slightly more traditional, but still “crafty.” Though not originally from Detroit, I now reside near the large city. The west side of the great state of Michigan has some fine breweries, but tonight I try a Java Porter from Atwater Block Brewery. It is the first brew I have had from this establishment.Though this java brew was enjoyed after a JOOSE, the JOOSE was not able to subdue the strong and bitter notes of this brew. Though stout is one of my personal favorites, this porter very much reminded me of a nice warm stout, e.g. Guiness. Even chilled there was no real hint of cold on the tongue. The bitter notes, however, nearly slap you in the face. Sort of a, HEY- I AM HERE TO BE BITTER AND SMACK YOU IN THE FACE. It is not entirely offensive, it is just not willing to take a back seat to any of the other flavors.The brew is also not entirely uncomplex. Sort of analogous to Kill Bill (as I sit here watching Vol. I), should I be offended by the extreme violence? Should I be enticed by strong women? Then, I realize, Tarantino is a violent freak who fancies himself an artisan of his times. I am a fan, but sometimes it all tries a little too hard.In conclusion, a good drink. I have deleted my philosophical and suggestions paragraph as I am not a commercial brewer trying to make a living creating brews for others and I do not want to pretend to tell others how to brew. I am here to drink and enjoy when I can. This is an enjoyable brew as long as one knows that one is going to be introduced to a drink that is intended to be reminiscent of that early morning coffee brew that may have sat in the pot a little too long getting a touch bitter and concentrated with some vanilla and hops thrown in for zing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users