#1 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:57 AM

I brewed this weekend!Only a 1 gallon batch. Simple IPA recipe using Centennial hops that I grew. Calling it "Back in the Saddle" American IPA. Hit all my numbers perfectly and it's fermenting away!Jim

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:04 AM

I brewed this weekend!Only a 1 gallon batch. Simple IPA recipe using Centennial hops that I grew. Calling it "Back in the Saddle" American IPA. Hit all my numbers perfectly and it's fermenting away!Jim

what did you mash and ferment in?

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

Posted Image About time!

#4 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:25 AM

what did you mash and ferment in?

This was an experimental process I've been wanting to try: I mashed on the stovetop in a 3 gallon stock pot. Grain bill was about 2.5 lbs - mashed in with 3 quarts of water. Put the covered pot in the oven set at "Warm" for an hour and stirred every 10 minutes. Used a 2 gallon stock pot to heat my sparge water. Used a metal colander and strainer to lauter and sparged until I collected 1.25 gallons of wort. Recirculated the wort through the grain again. Boiled on the stovetop in 3 gallon stockpot. Cooled in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. Used a 1 gallon glass jug as a fermenter and added 1/4 teaspoon of foam control powder to control blowoff. Ended up with a tad less than a gallon, but hit my numbers perfectly! Jim

#5 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:30 AM

Posted Image About time!

I'd forgotten how much I love the process... The smell of the wort and hops... Felt good!Jim

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:44 AM

What was the grain bill and hop schedule?

#7 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 02 August 2010 - 10:54 AM

What was the grain bill and hop schedule?

I developed the recipe in BeerTools Pro set at 70% efficiency:2.25 lb American 2-row Pale Malt71 g (about 2.5 oz.) Crystal 6045g (about 1.5 oz.) CaraPils4g Nugget @ 60 min.4g Centennial @ 20 min.4g Centennial @ 5 min.1/4 teaspoon Irish Moss @ 15 min.OG: 1.059Bitterness 54.4Yeast: Half a packet US-05Jim

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 02 August 2010 - 02:13 PM

Talk about a micro brewery!Cheers,Rich

#9 stangbat

stangbat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationKC Metro, KS side

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:41 PM

Good to see you are back, Jim! How are you going to bottle/carb it?You haven't missed much with us KC guys in the last couple of years as far as get togethers. We've kind of dropped the ball in that respect.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 02 August 2010 - 04:52 PM

welcome back Jim!I took a 10 month brewing haitus myself and just got back in the saddle last month

#11 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 02 August 2010 - 09:01 PM

Way to get back on that horse, Jim! :smilielol:

#12 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:49 AM

Good to see you are back, Jim! How are you going to bottle/carb it?You haven't missed much with us KC guys in the last couple of years as far as get togethers. We've kind of dropped the ball in that respect.

Hey, Eric! Great to hear from you, too! I'm going with standard 12 oz bottles and priming sugar.Jim

#13 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 03 August 2010 - 09:21 AM

Did you grow the nugget hops too? How are you guessing the AA% of the home grown hops? Do you plan on comparing the perceived bitterness vs a commercial beer?

#14 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:14 PM

Did you grow the nugget hops too? How are you guessing the AA% of the home grown hops? Do you plan on comparing the perceived bitterness vs a commercial beer?

You know... I have no idea on the homegrown Cents... The Nugget were commercial leaf hops. I used whatever BeerTools has as the default values. Might not come out quite as hoppy as I hoped, but it sure smells good! Maybe I'll dry hop in secondary, too.Jim

#15 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 03 August 2010 - 01:44 PM

Already planning my next batch. I'm having fun with this 1 gallon process. I've scaled down my Boulevard Irish Ale clone recipe!Jim

#16 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9738 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 03 August 2010 - 05:44 PM

Welcome back! Good to see you fell back off the wagon again so to speak. :rolleyes:

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64162 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 04 August 2010 - 08:33 PM

This was an experimental process I've been wanting to try: I mashed on the stovetop in a 3 gallon stock pot. Grain bill was about 2.5 lbs - mashed in with 3 quarts of water. Put the covered pot in the oven set at "Warm" for an hour and stirred every 10 minutes. Used a 2 gallon stock pot to heat my sparge water. Used a metal colander and strainer to lauter and sparged until I collected 1.25 gallons of wort. Recirculated the wort through the grain again. Boiled on the stovetop in 3 gallon stockpot. Cooled in an ice bath in the kitchen sink. Used a 1 gallon glass jug as a fermenter and added 1/4 teaspoon of foam control powder to control blowoff. Ended up with a tad less than a gallon, but hit my numbers perfectly! Jim

How did the oven method work? I fooled around with my oven a while back to see what the low end was, but it was more like 175-200. I figured just leaving it in there at 200 would probably up the mash temp several degrees over the course of an hour. Maybe if I insulated the "mash tun" it would stick closer to the desired temp.

#18 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5041 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 09:38 PM

It worked really well. I didn't have a thermometer in the oven, but the "Warm" setting on my electric oven corresponds to a temp setting of 150°F. The mash only lost a couple degrees during the hour. Jim

#19 love2fishfork

love2fishfork

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts
  • LocationOverland Park, KS

Posted 09 August 2010 - 04:55 PM

You haven't missed much with us KC guys in the last couple of years as far as get togethers. We've kind of dropped the ball in that respect.

So let's do something about that!!! I brewed two 5 Gal batches about a month ago!

#20 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 August 2010 - 05:35 PM

So let's do something about that!!! I brewed two 5 Gal batches about a month ago!

I'm not brewing much lately, don't want to fill out those tax forms when I hit 200 gal.Posted Image I'd love to get the crew together, there's a few new brewers around KC to that we haven't met. I haven't seen many homebrewers in a while - haven't made it to a KCBM or LBG mtg in a long time. Maybe we need to start a thread and try this again...........Glad you're still brewing Jerry. Posted Image ETA csbosox (Chris) moved down the block from me so we've gotten together..........

Edited by djinkc, 09 August 2010 - 05:51 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users