#1 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

Just mashed in an Am. Rye. Thought I had some 1272 slurry but it's 2112. I think I'll go with some US-05.I am not making the mistake of brewing this one stone cold sober.....

#2 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:54 AM

Going to brew a HefeRyeizen on Monday. I had all these plans for big beers, but it's just too damn hot. I need something thirst quenching and easily hoistable on tap.

#3 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:25 AM

Here's what on tap for me....based loosely on Sam Adams Summer Ale. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Category: Light Hybrid Beer Subcategory: American Wheat or Rye Beer Recipe Type: All Grain Batch Size: 6.5 gal. Volume Boiled: 7.75 gal. Mash Efficiency: 70 % Ingredients-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt 6 lbs. White Wheat .75 lbs. American Caramel 40°L 1 oz. Willamette (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes. 1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 7 %AA) boiled 10 minutes. 2 oz Lemon zest (not included in calculations) Yeast: WYeast 1056 American AleVital Statistics-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Original Gravity: 1.049 Terminal Gravity: 1.011 Color: 6.28 SRM Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Alcohol (%volume): 5.1 %

#4 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 30 July 2010 - 11:36 AM

I'm having bad back problems but I'm hoping to brew a dark saison on Sunday. If not, the weather should start to improve in a couple of weeks and I definitely want to get the brewing train rolling soon.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:33 PM

Brewing an American Wheat.5 pounds 2 Row5 pounds Wheat Malt1/2 Pound Crystal 60LCouple handfulls of rice hulls2 ounces Cascade at 60 minutes for an IBU of 32US05Thoughts? Suggestions? Should I scale back on the hops? Maybe do a late addition? Going to ferment this at around 68.

#6 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 01:34 PM

Here's what on tap for me....based loosely on Sam Adams Summer Ale. -------------------------------------------------------------------------- Category: Light Hybrid Beer Subcategory: American Wheat or Rye Beer Recipe Type: All Grain Batch Size: 6.5 gal. Volume Boiled: 7.75 gal. Mash Efficiency: 70 % Ingredients-------------------------------------------------------------------------- 6 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt 6 lbs. White Wheat .75 lbs. American Caramel 40°L 1 oz. Willamette (Whole, 4.50 %AA) boiled 60 minutes. 1 oz. Cascade (Whole, 7 %AA) boiled 10 minutes. 2 oz Lemon zest (not included in calculations) Yeast: WYeast 1056 American AleVital Statistics-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Original Gravity: 1.049 Terminal Gravity: 1.011 Color: 6.28 SRM Bitterness: 20.2 IBU Alcohol (%volume): 5.1 %

I should have read your recipe first. Not a whole lot different. Maybe I'll toss the second ounce of Cascade with 10 minutes to go.

#7 chadm75

chadm75

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1029 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:12 PM

Maybe I'll toss the second ounce of Cascade with 10 minutes to go.

I like to doing this because you get a nice hop flavor/aroma effect in the finish. But it's mild and doesn't overpower the wheat flavor. Good luck!

#8 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:15 PM

I should have read your recipe first. Not a whole lot different. Maybe I'll toss the second ounce of Cascade with 10 minutes to go.

Or for a FWH

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 02:58 PM

Or for a FWH

I have never done a FWH... give me the 30 second synopsis and its benefits.

#10 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:04 PM

I have never done a FWH... give me the 30 second synopsis and its benefits.

IMO smooth bitterness along with flavor and aroma - some will disagree with the aroma component. IBUs about equivalent to a 20 min addition. I brewed an Am Rye today with nothing but Cascades FWH. Done quite a few FWH only brews and I like them.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 30 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

IMO smooth bitterness along with flavor and aroma - some will disagree with the aroma component. IBUs about equivalent to a 20 min addition. I brewed an Am Rye today with nothing but Cascades FWH. Done quite a few FWH only brews and I like them.

hmmm... might give this a try....5 ounce FWH1 ounce at 60 minutes.5 ounce at 10 minutesThis is what Palmer had to say about it:

First Wort HoppingAn old yet recently rediscovered process (at least among homebrewers), first wort hopping (FWH) consists of adding a large portion of the finishing hops to the boil kettle as the wort is received from the lauter tun. As the boil tun fills with wort (which may take a half hour or longer), the hops steep in the hot wort and release their volatile oils and resins. The aromatic oils are normally insoluble and tend to evaporate to a large degree during the boil. By letting the hops steep in the wort prior to the boil, the oils have more time to oxidize to more soluble compounds and a greater percentage are retained during the boil. Only low alpha finishing hops should be used for FWH, and the amount should be no less than 30% of the total amount of hops used in the boil. This FWH addition therefore should be taken from the hops intended for finishing additions. Because more hops are in the wort longer during the boil, the total bitterness of the beer in increased but not by a substantial amount due to being low in alpha acid. In fact, one study among professional brewers determined that the use of FWH resulted in a more refined hop aroma, a more uniform bitterness (i.e. no harsh tones), and a more harmonious beer overall compared to an identical beer produced without FWH.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 30 July 2010 - 05:33 PM

"Only low alpha finishing hops should be used for FWH............."I'm glad I forgot about that, I've had good luck with higher AA hops............ Posted Image

#13 *_Guest_frankerector_*

*_Guest_frankerector_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2010 - 06:02 PM

I think I am going for it tomorrow..<_<

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64179 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:13 PM

My cream ale from wednesday night is churning away nicely. No brewing this weekend. Pliny clone next weekend.

#15 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:28 PM

Going to brew a HefeRyeizen on Monday. I had all these plans for big beers, but it's just too damn hot. I need something thirst quenching and easily hoistable on tap.

I hear ya there.On Sunday I'm going to brew something akin to the Saisoon Buffoon (sp?)in Radical Brewing.

#16 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 30 July 2010 - 07:38 PM

If I get up early enough, APA. 115 heat index for tomorrow <_<

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64179 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 July 2010 - 08:19 PM

Going to brew a HefeRyeizen on Monday.

Is that an Engrish Hefeweizen?

#18 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26210 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 July 2010 - 10:34 PM

If I get up early enough, APA. 115 heat index for tomorrow <_<

Damn dude...I've been putting off brewing a saison for a while now since we've only had a handful of days over 80 this year. I need a little more heat for the yeast. I'll be brewing late hopped brown this weekend.

#19 Kunsan90

Kunsan90

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
  • LocationPurgatory ...

Posted 31 July 2010 - 05:39 AM

Just mashed in a Kolsch. I'll be using a decoction mash and I'm changing the schedule by going from 150 to mash out with the decoction, versus from 128 to 150. I'm guessing it won't change the results, not that I want it to, but we'll see.-K90

#20 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9179 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 31 July 2010 - 06:07 AM

Brewbuddy and I are getting together with two of his friends, they just built keggles so we are going to double our usual and do a QUAD 10G brew. 20G of Jamil's American amber and 20G of his rasberry stout.This will be interesting, I hope our electric HLT's can keep up.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users