- - - - -

Propane usage

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#1 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:29 PM

I've just started going to full boils on a banjo burner with 12 gallon boils. So far I've noticed that I'm not getting 2 uses out of one tank. Is this average or way too little?

#2 *_Guest_frankerector_*

*_Guest_frankerector_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:38 PM

I've just started going to full boils on a banjo burner with 12 gallon boils. So far I've noticed that I'm not getting 2 uses out of one tank. Is this average or way too little?

Whoa....Man that could get expensive..I am going to go AG in like 6 months..This info is valuable..Man..That's 10.00 per brewing session..Are there alternatives?:cheers:

#3 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 06:55 PM

Whoa....Man that could get expensive..I am going to go AG in like 6 months..This info is valuable..Man..That's 10.00 per brewing session..Are there alternatives?:cheers:

Don't freak out yet. I'm not sure if this is normal or I've not fine tuned the air intake on my burner yet.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:01 PM

That's not normal IME. I got more than that out of my jet burner and the banjos are supposed to be much more efficient.

#5 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:16 PM

I get right about 3 with 7 gallon boils on my SQ14 BAyou Burner that's using one tank for all heating use Strike, Sparge, Boilit seems excessive to me though, the old Morroene POS burner was more gas efficient i swear

#6 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16543 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:22 PM

Thats about what I was getting on the 16-18# tanks. You never get a full 20. Sometimes I might get a 3rd batch struck, but it would never get 3 out of a tank. I since moved on to 100# propane tanks. Cost is cheaper to fill over the life of the tank vs a 20. I also get alot more batches done with it too compared. I would throttle your burner back a hair. When its blowing hard you can actually waste gas and be inefficient.

#7 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:44 PM

Try a wind screen, too.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68767 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 July 2010 - 07:57 PM

yeah 4.2 gallons to fill @ 4.24 lbs per gallon yep that figures out right 17.08 lbs Blktre so for my usage it $3.82 per batch @ $2.73 gallon sounds like I should be doing bigger batches

#9 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3484 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 25 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

I think i get about 3 batches per 5 lb tank on my turkey fryer setup, but I heat my strike and sparge water on the stove, only using the propane for the boil.ETA: After thinking about it a little more, it would be more accurate to say that I get 2-3 batches per tank, depending on how much grilling im doing in between batches.

Edited by jammer, 25 July 2010 - 08:04 PM.

#10 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2010 - 09:35 PM

Try a wind screen, too.

Yes, it was windy. Any suggestions on what to use?

#11 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:14 AM

Try a wind screen, too.

This is on my to do list .I am planning to make something 3 sided,but allow some oxygen in yet.I get three brew sessions with a full propane tank.I get mine refilled for $14, the exchange is $20 and a ripoff IMHO.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 03:57 AM

I think I get 3-4 5 gallon batches per tank.

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:06 AM

Posted Image

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64182 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:29 AM

Posted Image

+1

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 05:59 AM

+1

I've never actually seen one of these elements in the kettle. Anyone have a pic so I can see how it's set up?

#16 ANUSTART

ANUSTART

The Drunk Dump Truck Euphanism.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3268 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:21 AM

I measure my propane before and after every batch. For starting volume of ~7.5 gallons in the kettle, 75 minute boil (typical for my 5.5 gal batches) I usually use between 2.8 and 3 lbs of propane. I use a keggle on a bayou classic burner and boil in the garage with the door open, so wind is minimal. I also heat my strike water on the stovetop and my HLT is electric, so it's just the boil.It's rougly 6 to 7 batches per 20# tank. If you were doing 10 gallon batches, I would guess you'd be able to get 3 to 4 batches per 20# tank.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 09:37 AM

I measure my propane before and after every batch. For starting volume of ~7.5 gallons in the kettle, 75 minute boil (typical for my 5.5 gal batches) I usually use between 2.8 and 3 lbs of propane. I use a keggle on a bayou classic burner and boil in the garage with the door open, so wind is minimal. I also heat my strike water on the stovetop and my HLT is electric, so it's just the boil.It's rougly 6 to 7 batches per 20# tank. If you were doing 10 gallon batches, I would guess you'd be able to get 3 to 4 batches per 20# tank.

so if you used the propane to heat all of the water (you are getting a pretty big headstart with the strike and sparge water) it would be substantially more. I use propane for all of my heating.

#18 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10760 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:00 AM

I was getting less than 3 batches on at 15 lbs fill of a 20 lb cylinder in the cool weather. That was to heat all of the water on a 5 gallon batch. The iffy weather and the cost/hassle of getting propane drove me to be an indoor brewer.

#19 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 26 July 2010 - 11:09 AM

I used to get 2.5 batches per tank with the banjo burner. When I upgraded to a blichmann burner it jumped to 4-5 batches. I'd attribute it mostly to it's ability to block the wind and concentrate the heat. It's a nice setup with adjustable 'grips' to hold in different sized kettles and keggles.

#20 *_Guest_BigBossMan_*

*_Guest_BigBossMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2010 - 12:45 PM

This is the burner I have. https://www.northern...ory/31/?p=2From the comments I'm reading, lots of people are cutting lowering the rack 1-2" and welding the supports back on to increase the efficiency. Unfortunately, I don't have any access to welding equipment.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users