#1 robsauce

robsauce

Comptroller of Teh Great Northern Wasteland

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:44 PM

Will this work? I have a package of it in my brewing box and I'm not too sure where it came from or why I have it. Can I use it on my blueberries before adding them to the secondary or should I go get some campden tablets/potassium metabisulfate? The instructions on it make it sound more like a yeast inhibitor as opposed to something that would sanitize (for lack of better terms) my blueberries. :goodidea:

#2 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:02 PM

Fresh blueberries that I just bought. I washed em and then put them on cookie sheets in the freezer. I read somewhere along the way that freezing then thawing helps break down cell walls of the fruit and allows the yeast to do its thing better. OG was right around 1.096 which should give me an ABV around 12% I believe.My plan was to follow hightests Blue Braggot recipe.

24-36 Hours before racking to secondary place 1 quart of water into a large pot and heat to 150°F. Turn off the heat and add the frozen blueberries, cover, and mix well. When thawed, mash the berries, and add the pectic enzyme to the fruit. Place the berry slurry into a 6 gallon fermenter. After an hour add the KMETA and swirl the berries to mix. Wait 24 hours and then rack the fermenting honey mixture on top. After 10-14 days on the fruit, rack the mead to another 6 gallon carboy leaving the fruit behind. After 30 days rack the mead to a clean carboy.

I was wondering if I could use the sodium meta in place of the potassium meta. Also, is the pectin enzyme necessary too. I don't have any of that either

#3 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2010 - 07:52 PM

So, you'd suggest the process above just without the sulfites? So thaw, heat, mash, toss in carboy and immediately rack mead onto it

#4 robsauce

robsauce

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 23 July 2010 - 08:16 PM

Cool. No pectin enzyme either?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users