34 replies to this topic

#1 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:15 PM

So I'm going to be in the market for a grain mill soon. Looking for suggestions.And no, I don't want Corona-type mills.

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:18 PM

I suggest the BarleyCrusher. Had mine for a year and a half and its been great. Bought it straight from BC Products. No issues.

#3 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:27 PM

I am happy with my Schmidling Enterprises Malt-Mill.

#4 Daryl

Daryl

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:45 PM

I suggest the BarleyCrusher. Had mine for a year and a half and its been great. Bought it straight from BC Products. No issues.

+1 I love mine

#5 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:50 PM

I am happy with my Schmidling Enterprises Malt-Mill.

Had mine since 1995 and has worked absolutely great. I'd get all the upgrades... of course mine doesn't adjust the the movable roller on both sides....

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 06 May 2009 - 08:55 PM

I have a corona and a 3 roller monster ... love them both. It's hard to beat the corona for funky adjunctsPosted Image

#7 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8262 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:20 AM

Monster Mills are the highest quality in terms of materials and knurling, I even bought one for a friend. Only tricky part is the mounting process but I did mine without serious carpentry skills or a lot of power tools.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:42 AM

Monster Mills are the highest quality in terms of materials and knurling, I even bought one for a friend. Only tricky part is the mounting process but I did mine without serious carpentry skills or a lot of power tools.

Am I correct that just the rollers/housing for the monster mill (with SS rollers) cost more than the whole barley crusher that's all ready to go? How much better can the crush really be?

#9 LoveThemBrowns

LoveThemBrowns

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:57 AM

For a turn-key, ready-to-go-right-out-of-the-box mill, my vote is for the Barley Crusher.

#10 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:33 AM

I think you'll find that everyone likes whatever roller mill they have. Which is a pretty good indication that you'll be happy no matter what you get. I have a Monster MM-3 and it's great so far..

#11 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:45 AM

You could make one if you have the skilz.My cousin built this in the metal shop where he works:Posted ImageMORE picsThe only stuff he bought was the motor (scrap from a project), coupling, and bearings. The hopper holds roughly 8 pounds and it'll mow through that in less than a minute with the 1/4 Hp 500 rpm gearmotor.EDIT: We have it on top of a cabinet now, just slide the tun underneath and grind away.

#12 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 07 May 2009 - 06:47 AM

Everybody loves the grain mill they have purchased. I know of one case where somebody said "I have an XYZ Company model ABC grain mill and I am sorry I bought it."It is in the review section found on the bored of green. I am not clear on the guy's objections. I will let each draw what they will from his comments.Seems to me it comes down to budget and how much fabricating you (or like) to do.zymot

#13 Spoon

Spoon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • LocationLower Alabama

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:31 AM

I Love my BC. I bought it through a group buy on the one of the only or the only goup buy allowed on the green board.Maybe another group buy of the Barley Crusher could be organized here!Just a thought.

#14 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 07 May 2009 - 07:34 AM

Agreed, everyone likes their own. Mine is the malt mill. No big complaints.Hey Ewanzel, what keeps the water bottle from tipping over in yours? I have something like we built last week and are working on stabilizing it. Right now we screwed it to a 2x2 up one side.

#15 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 07 May 2009 - 08:48 AM

barley crusher and no complaints. comes ready to attach a drill and put on a bucket.It you do really big batches I could see getting one with longer rollers so your crush time will will be shorter. I think the BC is 4 inches and some of them are 12 inches. But i think you would need to be doing so pretty big batches to have this factor in the decision. I have done 30+ lbs and it does seem to take very long.

#16 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:13 AM

Agreed, everyone likes their own. Mine is the malt mill. No big complaints.Hey Ewanzel, what keeps the water bottle from tipping over in yours? I have something like we built last week and are working on stabilizing it. Right now we screwed it to a 2x2 up one side.

The bottle I got has a little bulge just below the lip. I drilled a hole the diameter of the lip of the bottle and coaxed the little bulge through the hole. I did it a while ago, so I'm sorry I can't provide any more detail.

#17 Jeff

Jeff

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • LocationSE Wisconsin

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:18 AM

The bottle I got has a little bulge just below the lip. I drilled a hole the diameter of the lip of the bottle and coaxed the little bulge through the hole. I did it a while ago, so I'm sorry I can't provide any more detail.

That makes sense. Just force fit it. I am surprised it stays. But not totally surprised! Have you ever filled it with 20 lbs of grains?Thanks for the picture and explanation. We are going to build something that supports it from the shoulder of the bottle. I am using the same kind of water bottle.

#18 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26189 posts

Posted 07 May 2009 - 09:36 AM

That makes sense. Just force fit it. I am surprised it stays. But not totally surprised! Have you ever filled it with 20 lbs of grains?Thanks for the picture and explanation. We are going to build something that supports it from the shoulder of the bottle. I am using the same kind of water bottle.

I've had it completely filled and it doesn't budge a bit, so I don't see a need right now. The water bottle actually goes all the way through the upper square piece of wood and partially into the the lower piece of wood that is mounted to the mill. I then used a bunch of chisels to create a channel that funnels the grain all the way across the surface of the top rollers.

Edited by ewanzel, 07 May 2009 - 09:41 AM.

#19 cbbrown40

cbbrown40

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  • LocationHelendale, Ca

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:34 AM

I bought a Phil Mill II for $40.00 off of ebay and love it.

#20 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 07 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

I just got my BC 10 days ago or so, i have done only one beer with it. Had a great runoff with it, am pleased with it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users