#1 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:31 PM

Last month I brewed an APA and the sample I tried from the keg last night has no hop flavor or aroma at all. What gives here? here is the recipe I used:10 lbs 2 row.5 lbs 60L crystal.5 lbs cara pils1 ounce Northern Brewer @60 min1 ounce Cascade @ 15 min.5 ounce Cascade @ 1 min.5 ounce Cascade dry hop in the keg.Fermented with US-05OG= 1.050FG= 1.013I dont know why but I can smell or taste any hops. I bagged them like I always do using womens nylons and have never had this happen before.

#2 Winkydowbrewing

Winkydowbrewing

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • LocationWorcester, MA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:36 PM

How did they smell going into the kettle? I am not with my home computer to figure the IBU, but you should obviously have something in aroma or bittering. Were they older and maybe lost some of their punch?

#3 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:38 PM

Last month I brewed an APA and the sample I tried from the keg last night has no hop flavor or aroma at all. What gives here? here is the recipe I used:10 lbs 2 row.5 lbs 60L crystal.5 lbs cara pils1 ounce Northern Brewer @60 min1 ounce Cascade @ 15 min.5 ounce Cascade @ 1 min.5 ounce Cascade dry hop in the keg.Fermented with US-05OG= 1.050FG= 1.013I dont know why but I can smell or taste any hops. I bagged them like I always do using womens nylons and have never had this happen before.

First guess is that the hops may be old? Second is that your nose is not working correctly at the moment, wait a couple days and try again.

#4 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:41 PM

The hops were maybe a couple months old. The FG gravity samples I took were great, and when I opened up the carboy to keg it smelled good too. But when I tried a chilled sample yesterday it was meh. More like an Elnglish Pale Ale than what I was shooting for...

#5 JReigle

JReigle

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  • LocationSan Leandro, CA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:47 PM

Have you had success with this recipe before? Seems strange that it would change, that should be enough to get some aroma. My only suggestion is to double, or triple the late addition hops next time :cheers:

#6 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:50 PM

The hops were maybe a couple months old. The FG gravity samples I took were great, and when I opened up the carboy to keg it smelled good too. But when I tried a chilled sample yesterday it was meh. More like an Elnglish Pale Ale than what I was shooting for...

try it again todayHow long have the dry hops been in there?

#7 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

try it again todayHow long have the dry hops been in there?

Since early saturday morning.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:51 PM

Since early saturday morning.

give it a bit more time, that's all I got.

#9 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:57 PM

Ok cool, but I would have figured that even without dry hopping it would have some good aroma.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:06 PM

Is your water pretty soft? Maybe you need to add some gypsum??

#11 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Is your water pretty soft? Maybe you need to add some gypsum??

No, we have hard water. I do use an under sink cold water filter though but it doesnt soften the water, just removes the clorine taste and smell among other things.

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:36 PM

Ok cool, but I would have figured that even without dry hopping it would have some good aroma.

Honestly if it smelled good going into the keg, i think your nose and taste budds may have been doinked up in the meentime :cheers: Didn't you eat like 25 ABT recently?

#13 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:08 PM

Almost always, it will be better when carbed up. For my tastes that was a little light on the hops too, unless you ran into some of the higher alpha Cascades. Also I've heard a lot of bagging on Cascades recently, I'm not among them though....

#14 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42109 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:12 PM

Should I maybe have used more than a hlaf ounce to dry hop with? Is it too late to add more?

Edited by Brian72, 05 May 2009 - 06:13 PM.

#15 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 May 2009 - 06:21 PM

Should I maybe have used more than a hlaf ounce to dry hop with? Is it too late to add more?

I would let it sit and re-evaluate for more dry hops. But, I usually have a bit more inventory around than most - that are ready to get pouring.Recipe sounds OK, if it isn't fully carbed I would wait a bit........

#16 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:02 PM

I would let it sit and re-evaluate for more dry hops. But, I usually have a bit more inventory around than most - that are ready to get pouring.Recipe sounds OK, if it isn't fully carbed I would wait a bit........

crap, i didn't notice the "not carbed yet" part, in that case, everything dj just said.

#17 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 05 May 2009 - 07:04 PM

I agree with DJ it seems in this style of beer carbonation plays a big role in getting the hop flavor dancing around on the tongue.

#18 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:02 PM

If it had been my beer I would have upped the 1 min and dry hop to 1 oz each. But you should have at least some aroma and flavor...Maybe your tastebuds are unbalanced like micullen said. I say sleep on it and try again tomorrow.

#19 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8262 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 06 May 2009 - 03:23 AM

Sample out of the carboy at fermentation temp and you'll definitely get more aroma. Let your chilled, kegged sample warm up a bit and see if it comes back to life.

#20 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 06 May 2009 - 04:52 AM

FWIW in a 5 gal batch (which I'm guessing from your grain bill) I use one once aroma and one ounce dry hop.Unless you've carbed the keg, you can always add more.HOWEVER, lack of carb will turn an excellent beer into a blah glass of liquid. It's the carb that bubbles the aromatics out of solution.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users