#1 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:30 AM

So i haven't made this style yet and I just got some Magnum coming in the mail so I think I will try to get one of these done. Upon researching them I notice people do them a lot of different ways - Ferment at 65-68 for a week then crash to 40 for 2 weeksor ferment at 62 degrees for a week and crash at 40 for 2 months, etc...What kind of a process do you use and how are your results?

#2 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:47 AM

I fermented for two weeks at 60-62, racked to a couple kegs and threw them in the basement. I don't have a dedicated lagering/fermenting fridge, but will put them in the serving fridge when space opens up. I don't have any results to report, but I'll update in a month when I can't stand it any longer and have started drinking the first keg.

#3 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 May 2009 - 10:54 AM

I ferment at as close to 55-60 as I can manage, then rack for cold conditioning for 2 months at 35F. FWIW, Magnum wouldn't be my first choice for a hop.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:03 AM

I ferment at as close to 55-60 as I can manage, then rack for cold conditioning for 2 months at 35F. FWIW, Magnum wouldn't be my first choice for a hop.

good to know...it is German Magnum, and I was just thinking using it for my bittering addition then maybe some hallertauer for the other additions but recipe formulation comes later

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 05 May 2009 - 11:20 AM

I primary until done around 60df - cooler would be better but my AC unit would be running a lot more.Cold condition a month or longer in the kegerator around 39 - 40, colder would be better for lagering.Most, if not all of your hop additions should be early to be true to style. I suppose a little Magnum would be OK for a bittering addition but I would also want some nobles in there too. Spalt is traditional.That said, I won't always brew to style and may throw some flavor and aroma in just because........ And there are always some variations with the style. Sadly, I haven't been to Germany to taste the real thing.I'll have to check, but I might have used a small amount of Magnum for part of the bittering addition in the Sticke Alt I have around now. I know the bulk of the hops were lower alpha nobles though.There are several posters on board that know a lot more about them than me. Bet they chime in.How do they turn out? - well, I think they're good........

Edited by dj in kc, 05 May 2009 - 11:22 AM.

#6 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:40 PM

I'll usually pitch around 58 F and let it rise to 60 F. Then it sits there until it's finished. The beer then gets slowly cooled to 32 F and I add gelatin (sometimes). Then it gets kegged. I don't worry about racking out of primary into a secondary because I leave the hot/cold break and trub stuff in the boil kettle.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:47 PM

good to know...it is German Magnum, and I was just thinking using it for my bittering addition then maybe some hallertauer for the other additions but recipe formulation comes later

If you're not making a Duseldorf alt, Magnum would probably be OK. I prefer the Dusseldorf myself, so in that case I';d go with something a little "sharper" for bittering.

#8 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68759 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 05 May 2009 - 12:48 PM

If you're not making a Duseldorf alt, Magnum would probably be OK. I prefer the Dusseldorf myself, so in that case I';d go with something a little "sharper" for bittering.

Spalt is traditional, correct?Any others you might suggest?

#9 *_Guest_Blktre_*

*_Guest_Blktre_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2009 - 03:34 PM

FWIW, Magnum wouldn't be my first choice for a hop.

Gr. Magnum is an excellent choice for a bittering hop. Its super clean bitterness at such a high AA makes it a no no brainer. You wont ever tell the difference in a butt load of Spalt for bittering, or a tiny finger toss of Gr. Magnum. Don't know about you, but with the cost of hops nowadays, it just makes sense to use less hops, not more, for the 60min addition. With that said...I use a traditional malt bill and Gr. Magnum for Bittering, followed by Spalt at 30 or 20 (depending if its a NG or Dusseldorf), mash at 146-8*, ferment at 58-60* w/ 1007 (tried other yeasts, just not the same), lager at 32* as long as i can stand it. At least 5 weeks. But i do 20g batches, so lager time doesn't mean much to me, its already there when i get to it.Fwiw, My NG Alt that has won multiple medals uses Gr. Magnum, Hallertau Tradition, and Hallertau Mittlefruh. Which kinda cracks me up actually. But this proves to me as long as you use the right amount of any type of Gr. hops, the end result is pretty darn good.

#10 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:02 PM

I have brewed a couple of ALTs in the last two years. The one I brewed last year I used all Spalt 60 mins and 5 mins additions and fermented with Wyeast 1007 at 58 degrees this took around 14 days. Lagered at 35 degrees for about 4-5 weeks. I was happy this beer got an honorable mention in a homebrew contest last year as well. I love ALTs, it would be nice to find a commercial example but oh well will just keep brewing it more and more. I like to go the traditional route so I say stick to the Spalts.

#11 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 05 May 2009 - 04:58 PM

Fwiw, My NG Alt that has won multiple medals uses Gr. Magnum, Hallertau Tradition, and Hallertau Mittlefruh. Which kinda cracks me up actually. But this proves to me as long as you use the right amount of any type of Gr. hops, the end result is pretty darn good.

I'll probably go the NG route and use Magnum and Hallertau - I could even go off base and use some Santiam I got in the fridge which I have read could be a sub for SpaltI have never been to Germany so I don't have a great idea of the style anyway, maybe make more of an American type Alt like Alaskan Amber

#12 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 05 May 2009 - 05:08 PM

Santiam hops are great hops. I picked some up last year from Morebeer and used them in a Maibock I brewed in January. Drinking it now and they are lovely. I wish I could score a pound of them as well these days.

#13 chefmiller

chefmiller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:55 AM

What's the best yeast for this style?

#14 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:57 AM

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 06 May 2009 - 11:54 AM

Spalt is traditional, correct?Any others you might suggest?

Hallertauer or Mt. Hood.

#16 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 06 May 2009 - 07:25 PM

I always pitch big at 60 and hold for 7d, then let it come to ambient before racking and aging at 40 for at least a month or six weeks, longer depending on what's on tap. The last week or so I'll put it to 30 to try and get that damn yeast powder to drop before racking and carbing.I like Magnum to bitter, but don't be scared to go toward the upper end. I do about 1.052-4 and bitter 1:1. You'll need a big Spalter (or spalt select)finish if you want me to love it. I usually do about an ounce of spalt select at 20 and an ounce at flameout, but it's a bit much for style.Freakin' yum. Good summertime beer. Thanks for reminding me!

#17 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25633 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 06 May 2009 - 09:44 PM

You cannot go wrong with Wyeast 1007I also like White Labs WPL036 Dusseldorf Alt. It is a limited edition platinum strain. It is getting to the end of it's availability.zymot

#18 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 07 May 2009 - 05:54 AM

You cannot go wrong with Wyeast 1007I also like White Labs WPL036 Dusseldorf Alt. It is a limited edition platinum strain. It is getting to the end of it's availability.zymot

I usually use the 1007. I was given some 036 and have that batch lagering - needs a few more weeks before I can try it. I don't recall using the White Labs yeast for this before.

Edited by dj in kc, 07 May 2009 - 05:55 AM.

#19 Yeasty Boy

Yeasty Boy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationFt Collins

Posted 07 May 2009 - 03:17 PM

I'm pretty sure they are from the same source. Our club has used both of them quite a bit and can't find much difference in how they act or taste. I keep threatening to make an alt with American Wheat, since I suspect it, too comes from ZE. Don't fret over the powdery yeast. It's dusty stuff for sure. At the end of your aging, drop the temp to freezing if you aren't there yet and leave it a week and much of what's still there will drop out. Then leave the keg (or bottles) as steady as you can for a couple of weeks to ensure a nice, clean, bright alt.I'm thirsty.

#20 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 07 May 2009 - 04:22 PM

I'm pretty sure they are from the same source. Our club has used both of them quite a bit and can't find much difference in how they act or taste. I keep threatening to make an alt with American Wheat, since I suspect it, too comes from ZE. Don't fret over the powdery yeast. It's dusty stuff for sure. At the end of your aging, drop the temp to freezing if you aren't there yet and leave it a week and much of what's still there will drop out. Then leave the keg (or bottles) as steady as you can for a couple of weeks to ensure a nice, clean, bright alt.I'm thirsty.

ZE?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users