#1 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 08 July 2010 - 08:56 AM

Has anyone used rice in your mash if so how im brewing a light beer for my aunts wedding (at her request ) and ive been told rice adds little flavor but allows for a light beer to be produced

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:24 AM

I used some Basmati a couple years ago. I boiled it and let it cool to about mash temps and stirred it in with the rest of the mash. Royal PIA. I don't remember how much I used but I had to use my turkey fryer kettle because it swelled up so much - practically filled it. It did convert pretty well though - hit my intended OG as I recall. If I'm ever tempted again I'd probably use instant rice or flaked.

#3 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:30 AM

Has anyone used rice in your mash if so how im brewing a light beer for my aunts wedding (at her request ) and ive been told rice adds little flavor but allows for a light beer to be produced

I have used flaked rice. I made two Cream Ales last summer, one with corn and one with rice, both for a party. Everyone liked them. If you have used flaked maize before, its no different. I wouldn't use more than 20% of the grist. Like corn, it will add some flavor. More fermentables for sure. Try it out.If you are not using flaked rice, then you will have to pre-cook your rice. I did this with some polenta that I added one time. I just put them in the crockpot with water and tossed in a handful of crushed malt (wasn't sure if I needed to or not for enzymatic process, but it made me feel better. I let it cook overnight. Worked just fine.Hope this helps.

#4 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48102 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:45 AM

I've used minute rice without even precooking. Ground it to polenta-sized flour in the blender and added it to the grist like any other grain.As Deerslyr says, you will have to precook whole grain rice. Pressure cooker or crock pot is easiest.

#5 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 09:53 AM

I've used minute rice without even precooking. Ground it to polenta-sized flour in the blender and added it to the grist like any other grain.As Deerslyr says, you will have to precook whole grain rice. Pressure cooker or crock pot is easiest.

George, was I overthinking it by adding some crushed barley to the crock? or is it necessary for any conversion???

#6 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:00 AM

George, was I overthinking it by adding some crushed barley to the crock? or is it necessary for any conversion???

you have to boil rice to cook it. even in the crock pot it would get to hot and kill all of the enzymes in the barley.just cook it and then add it to the mash

#7 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:02 AM

you have to boil rice to cook it. even in the crock pot it would get to hot and kill all of the enzymes in the barley.just cook it and then add it to the mash

Thanks! That hadn't crossed my mind!

#8 bigdaddyale

bigdaddyale

Linkbot

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9528 posts
  • LocationCurrent: New Homoco, Texas. Past : Lugner Island

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:18 AM

Thanks! That hadn't crossed my mind!

Not sure but I think the rule of thumb is that you never want grain to go over 170 df for any length of time.

#9 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 08 July 2010 - 10:32 AM

Not sure but I think the rule of thumb is that you never want grain to go over 170 df for any length of time.

Assuming this to be true (and I think you are right) it was literally a couple of tablespoons worth of grains. There was no astringency imparted on the beer.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48102 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 July 2010 - 01:55 PM

In reference to above, I also put a bit of converting malt in my rice. BUT, I got it into the 150F's and held for 10 min or so to convert the starch already dissolved in the water. After that I boiled and cooked as normal. Letting those dissolved starches convert makes the whole mass easier to handle and less gummy.Either way you do it, though, I don't think you can hurt anything. No danger of boiling that small amount of malt w/ husks if you DO use malt. Stickier rice won't stop you mashing it if you DON'T use malt, it is just harder to mix with the rest of the grist.

#11 Brewski

Brewski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:04 PM

I use rice quite a bit. Usually brown rice, it has a bit of flavor that compliments malt.It does require a cereal mash. You don't "cook" the rice as you would to eat.Probably no more than 2# for a 5gal batch, and that's pushing it.I do a 5 step temperature mash. 1. Boil the rice in 2 quarts of water/1# rice for 30 minutes. If you have an immersion blender use it when you are done. It should be very thick & starchy, about like a regular mash consistency.2. Let cool to around 130F or so, add cold water at your normal ratio for the additional grains. Add your grains.My Temperature MashStep 1 - 102F for 45 minStep 2 - 120F for 30 minStep 3 - 150F for 30 minStep 4 - 158F for 30 minStep 5 - Mash out @ 170 for 10 min.Figure your potential at 1.030 - 1.035Actually started doing this by accident. We really like brown rice, it was on sale & we bought 5# or so.Two weeks later my lady decided she was going on the Atkins diet. Well, I could just let it sit around.I guess this could be converted to an infusion mash, but could be tough with this many steps.

#12 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 08 July 2010 - 02:55 PM

..........I use rice quite a bit. Usually brown rice, it has a bit of flavor that compliments malt.It does require a cereal mash. You don't "cook" the rice as you would to eat....

I'm curious why you think that. Once the starches are gelatinized (by cooking/boiling/heat from processing flaked adjuncts) they can be converted if your malted grain has the diastatic power to handle the extra duty. That approach has worked at my place. That said I hardly ever use rice but any type of corn finds its' way in occasionally.It's always been a question for me why a cereal mash is required/preferred over simply gelatinizing starches.

#13 weave

weave

Just Silly and Overboard

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8111 posts
  • LocationWestern NY

Posted 09 July 2010 - 05:54 AM

I used minute rice in my last 2 cream ales. I started by runnng the minute rice through my grain mill. I milled the rice first, figuring I'd let the barley and crystal "clean out" the mill of any gummy stuff that collected from milling the rice. Had no problems there. My understanding is that minute rice is already gelatinized so it all went strraight into the mash. Everything converted properly and I hit my OG. Actually, I was a few points over. No extra steps needed if you use minute rice.I do find that rice does add flavor to the beer. It is very subtle and mild, but it is a different characteristic that an all malt brew. I am having trouble coming up with a description for it though.My cram ale recipe is easy and a family favorite. 1.050 OG, 2 lbs minute rice, 1 lbs 20L crystal, balance 2 row pale malt, 20 IBU's Perle or Williamette with no finishing hops, Safale S-05 yeast, ferment as close to 60F as you can.One last point..... Every batch I've used rice in requires gelatin to clear it up. I have yet to make a beer made with rice that wasn't cloudy.

#14 Brewski

Brewski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 13 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 09 July 2010 - 06:36 AM

The rice is gelatinized, I assume, by cooking it for 30 min. What I meant by "cook as you would to eat" is that I don't make nice fluffy rice, but instead a thick starchy gruel. Then the 5 step temp mash, assuming a 5.5gal batch, with 2-3# of base malt, & the other Crystal/Roast/Specialty grains.The extented low temp protein rests in the mash steps allow time to break down the starches.Most of my batches are partial mash w/ around 25% extract.Haven't had any issues with cloudy, use 1-1/2 Tbls Irish Moss, last 10min.Even though Papazian sez to, I don't run the rice through the mill, it makes it into grits, very thick & hard to work with after boiling. Instead use the immersion blender after boiling.Here is the infusion mash from BeerSmith- Name Description Step Temp Step Time Protein Rest Add 8.00 qt of water at 111.3 F 104.0 F 30 min Protein Rest Add 3.00 qt of water at 180.9 F 122.0 F 45 min Saccharification Add 7.00 qt of water at 201.3 F 150.0 F 60 min Mash Out Add 9.00 qt of water at 207.6 F 168.0 F 10 min Notes: Long protein rests help to break down starches in precooked adjuncts in preparation for saccharification step.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:24 AM

This sounds like a lot of extra work. Why not just use flaked/pregelatanized rice?

#16 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:29 AM

This sounds like a lot of extra work. Why not just use flaked/pregelatanized rice?

Because its probably cheaper and he can! Just guessin...

#17 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:34 AM

The rice is gelatinized, I assume, by cooking it for 30 min. What I meant by "cook as you would to eat" is that I don't make nice fluffy rice, but instead a thick starchy gruel. Then the 5 step temp mash, assuming a 5.5gal batch, with 2-3# of base malt, & the other Crystal/Roast/Specialty grains.The extented low temp protein rests in the mash steps allow time to break down the starches.Most of my batches are partial mash w/ around 25% extract.Haven't had any issues with cloudy, use 1-1/2 Tbls Irish Moss, last 10min.Even though Papazian sez to, I don't run the rice through the mill, it makes it into grits, very thick & hard to work with after boiling. Instead use the immersion blender after boiling.Here is the infusion mash from BeerSmith-Name Description Step Temp Step Time Protein Rest Add 8.00 qt of water at 111.3 F 104.0 F 30 min Protein Rest Add 3.00 qt of water at 180.9 F 122.0 F 45 min Saccharification Add 7.00 qt of water at 201.3 F 150.0 F 60 min Mash Out Add 9.00 qt of water at 207.6 F 168.0 F 10 min Notes: Long protein rests help to break down starches in precooked adjuncts in preparation for saccharification step.

Fair enough. Lot's of ways to do it..........

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 07:46 AM

Because its probably cheaper and he can! Just guessin...

it seems like we are generally only talking about 2-3lbs at most so with the extra time and fuel spent it's got to be a pretty minimal savings. B/c he can - we'll whatever floats your boat I guess! :devil:

#19 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:07 AM

it seems like we are generally only talking about 2-3lbs at most so with the extra time and fuel spent it's got to be a pretty minimal savings. B/c he can - we'll whatever floats your boat I guess! :devil:

If one were inclined to use rice more frequently, then it does make sense to just go to Safeway and buy a 5 pound bag of rice at a significant savings over what he would likely pay for a pound at his LHBS. I bought a bag of polenta because, well, my LHBS was out of stock on the flaked maize. Now I have some polenta to use when I want. I think a 5 pound bag cost the same as about 2 pounds of flaked maize at the LHBS. I'll admit, using flaked maize and flaked rice is so much easier. I've got a 6 year old, so a 5 hour brew day is excruciating to him when he wants to go do "something". So unless I cook the rice or polenta the night before, I still prefer to use the flaked stuff. But for some, getting back to the basics and doing it all yourself can be a lot of fun.

#20 nbbeerguy

nbbeerguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  • LocationFredericton NB Canada

Posted 09 July 2010 - 08:09 AM

my problem is there is no home brew store within 150KM so from the sounds of it Uncle Bens Instant rice it will be and I have to brew tomorrow as my aunts wedding will be on the 23 of july which gives me 13 days it will be a very very young beer but fresh and hope everyone likes it :devil: thanks guys your great as always !!! Im also going to be going with S-04 yeast as its a quick finisher

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users