7 replies to this topic

#1 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:32 PM

I have some cascades going on their second year in a planter. Wow, they sprouted before I thought they would! They are currently about 18" high. We are expecting some snow (argh) and I would like to know if there is any concern I should have due to cold weather? The low temperature is suppose to be 32* overnight, which won't be enough to freeze the soil. I am thinking they will be okay, but just want to make sure!thanks!

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:38 PM

I have some cascades going on their second year in a planter. Wow, they sprouted before I thought they would! They are currently about 18" high. We are expecting some snow (argh) and I would like to know if there is any concern I should have due to cold weather? The low temperature is suppose to be 32* overnight, which won't be enough to freeze the soil. I am thinking they will be okay, but just want to make sure!thanks!

I might throw a plastic garbage bag over it, or if possible, an upside down glass jug just to keep the sprout from freezing

#3 Iceman

Iceman

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 07:42 PM

Maybe too late now, but you can buy those wall of water things for tomato plants. Otherwise, I'd just throw a 5 gal bucket or something similar over them & they'll probably be fine.Ice

#4 Darterboy

Darterboy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts
  • LocationVestavia Hills, Alabama

Posted 27 March 2009 - 10:38 PM

Most commercial growers prune the first shoots anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 11:09 PM

Most commercial growers prune the first shoots anyway so I wouldn't sweat it.

True, so you have a decision to make. Either decide to prune them or protect them. To protect I could combine the garbage bag (maybe several of them), and then cycle hot water jugs underneath them.

#6 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:49 AM

Thanks for the responses.I guess I have a third option too - just move them inside the garage. I have an makeshift irrigation system that runs through the pot, but it wouldn't be too difficult to disconnect it. I am pretty confident that would be ok outside, but with my luck if I don't do anything the temps plummet into a hard freeze. I guess it is better to be on the safe side.

#7 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21281 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:33 AM

I'd just put a bucket over them. Any snow that falls on the bucket will insulate the plants from freezing and the ground temp won't fall that much.I don't think I would dig them up at this point.

#8 BeerMaker

BeerMaker

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, MO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 10:13 AM

I'd just put a bucket over them. Any snow that falls on the bucket will insulate the plants from freezing and the ground temp won't fall that much.

This is the route I ended up taking. No need to put more effort into it than needed.Thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users