#1 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 24 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

1.030 was my OG for my 5 gallon batch of MLPA I did tonight. I hope the QS Oatmeal Stout I did yesterday was better.

#2 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

1.030 was my OG for my 5 gallon batch of MLPA I did tonight.

Next time you should take a preboil gravity reading so you can correct it if needed. Keep some DME on hand for when your OG is low.

I hope the QS Oatmeal Stout I did yesterday was better.

Did you not take an OG reading?

#3 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:15 PM

I'm not sure what the OG is supposed to be for that beer, but I'm guessing it's probably closer to 1.050. If that's the case you were way off somewhere, it may have been as simple as taking a hydro reading with hot wort. Still seems way off though - no idea how good the crush is at our LHBS - I mill mine here. I have a lot of DME if you want to add some to the primary.I'd be happy to take a look at your setup if you want. AG gets much, much easier with a few batches and more predictable.

Edited by dj in kc, 24 May 2010 - 08:18 PM.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:21 PM

I'm not sure what the OG is supposed to be for that beer, but I'm guessing it's probably closer to 1.050. If that's the case you were way off somewhere, it may have been as simple as taking a hydro reading with hot wort. Still seems way off though - no idea how good the crush is at our LHBS - I mill mine here. I have a lot of DME if you want to add some to the primary.I'd be happy to take a look at your setup if you want. AG gets much, much easier with a few batches and more predictable.

If he took the measurement at 150F he would be around 1.049 which would be dead on.Cheers,Rich

#5 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:28 PM

If he took the measurement at 150F he would be around 1.049 which would be dead on.Cheers,Rich

I know there is a conversion equation to compensate for temps. No offense but I've found with our HB equipment unless you are within about 5 -10df of 60df the conversion is very inaccurate. I've let more than a few gravity samples cool to compare, even covered so evaporation loss didn't occur - not very reliable. Just my 2 cents.

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 08:59 PM

I know there is a conversion equation to compensate for temps. No offense but I've found with our HB equipment unless you are within about 5 -10df of 60df the conversion is very inaccurate. I've let more than a few gravity samples cool to compare, even covered so evaporation loss didn't occur - not very reliable. Just my 2 cents.

I just plugged it in to beersmith to see what it told me. I was confirming what you said in your earlier post is all. So you might be right, might have taken a hot sample.Cheers,Rich

#7 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:12 AM

Yeah, I'd really like it if you could check out my stuff and let me know what you think.Also, how much DME would I need to add and do I need to get it in there ASAP?

#8 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:13 AM

Did you not take an OG reading?

No, I was semi drunk and it just slipped my mind. I brewed it Sunday night.

#9 djinkc

djinkc

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:35 AM

Yeah, I'd really like it if you could check out my stuff and let me know what you think.Also, how much DME would I need to add and do I need to get it in there ASAP?

last try didn't post?Around 3# of LME should give you about 20 gravity points in 5 gallons. Someone better double check my math though........ I'd guess it should go in as soon as you can.

Edited by dj in kc, 25 May 2010 - 05:35 AM.

#10 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:37 AM

A pound of DME raises the OG of five gallons by about 8 points. (42 point/pound*gallon divided into 5 gallons)This was a full boil, right? No chance it was a top-up that didn't get mixed well? That's a very far-off OG...

#11 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:47 AM

last try didn't post?

Not sure what you're asking.

#12 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 05:49 AM

A pound of DME raises the OG of five gallons by about 8 points. (42 point/pound*gallon divided into 5 gallons)This was a full boil, right? No chance it was a top-up that didn't get mixed well? That's a very far-off OG...

Yeah, it was full boil and I didn't have to top off with water. I did end up with about 5.5 gallons instead of 5, so there is some dilution because of that. As far as 8 points, it sounds like I should add around 2 lbs DME to get to 1.046, right? That would be close to where I need to be

#13 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:24 AM

That's awful strange. Did you get the mash temp right? Did you accidentally use unmalted wheat or forget to add the crystal 60 ( :frantic: )? That would account for a little (10.5 points @ 5 gallons), but not 19 points.Cheers,Rich

Edited by rcemech, 25 May 2010 - 06:28 AM.

#14 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48043 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:36 AM

Yeah, it was full boil and I didn't have to top off with water. I did end up with about 5.5 gallons instead of 5, so there is some dilution because of that. As far as 8 points, it sounds like I should add around 2 lbs DME to get to 1.046, right? That would be close to where I need to be

Actually, LME is much easier to add to the ferm. (I almost went back and edited the post, but somebody came to my desk and forced me to do actual work...) LME is 37 PPPPG, so 2 lbs would get you about 15 points. I think you'll have trouble getting more than a couple lbs in there because it will increase volume. Anyway, 1.045 is a respectable beer.Beyond correcting this one, do you have any idea what went wrong with this mash?

#15 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:53 AM

Actually, LME is much easier to add to the ferm. (I almost went back and edited the post, but somebody came to my desk and forced me to do actual work...) LME is 37 PPPPG, so 2 lbs would get you about 15 points. I think you'll have trouble getting more than a couple lbs in there because it will increase volume. Anyway, 1.045 is a respectable beer.Beyond correcting this one, do you have any idea what went wrong with this mash?

Don't know for absolute sure, but the temp should have been pretty good. I checked it after adding 1.5 quarts/pound of grain and it was right around 155. I calibrated the thermometer the day before to show 212 in boiling water. I suspect it could be my mash tun. I use a bigger cooler because I usually do 10 gallon brews. Maybe it's too big for a smaller batch?

#16 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 25 May 2010 - 06:54 AM

That's awful strange. Did you get the mash temp right? Did you accidentally use unmalted wheat or forget to add the crystal 60 ( :frantic: )? That would account for a little (10.5 points @ 5 gallons), but not 19 points.Cheers,Rich

If there was anything left out, I wouldn't know. I just went to the LHBS and gave them the grain bill and they gave me a bag with it in there. I suppose it's possible something got left out, but I doubt it.

#17 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:16 AM

If there was anything left out, I wouldn't know. I just went to the LHBS and gave them the grain bill and they gave me a bag with it in there. I suppose it's possible something got left out, but I doubt it.

This happened to me a few batches and I was perplexed...the last stop in the line was it was my LHBS screwing me on grain....well it was that their scale was off and the guy refused to acknowledge that I may be right and wouldn't calibrate the scale. I haven't been back there since, and my batches are back to normal efficiency...

#18 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 May 2010 - 07:51 AM

This happened to me a few batches and I was perplexed...the last stop in the line was it was my LHBS screwing me on grain....well it was that their scale was off and the guy refused to acknowledge that I may be right and wouldn't calibrate the scale. I haven't been back there since, and my batches are back to normal efficiency...

This. I always weigh my own grain now. The scale at the LHBS is one of those hanging dial ones that has a scale on both sides and each side shows a different weight by about half a pound which is enough for me to not trust the thing. So we bought one of these because we needed to keep an eye on our son's weight to make sure he was putting on weight in the beginning. When we got it home, I noticed the top cradle thingy and was like "Ooh yes. Double score!!" So now I weigh my own grain at home.I would bet your grain wasn't measured right, or possibly you lost a lot of heat in your mash tun during the rest. Did you check the temp at the end of the mash too? But I bet it was the grain.

#19 lowendfrequency

lowendfrequency

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:13 AM

Don't know for absolute sure, but the temp should have been pretty good. I checked it after adding 1.5 quarts/pound of grain and it was right around 155. I calibrated the thermometer the day before to show 212 in boiling water. I suspect it could be my mash tun. I use a bigger cooler because I usually do 10 gallon brews. Maybe it's too big for a smaller batch?

Not that I think this is what caused your issue, but water boils at 210 degrees in KC because of the elevation differential. You don't want to throw your mash temps off because you mis-calibrated your thermometer.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 25 May 2010 - 09:30 AM

Not that I think this is what caused your issue, but water boils at 210 degrees in KC because of the elevation differential. You don't want to throw your mash temps off because you mis-calibrated your thermometer.

A 2 degree difference down from 155 won't hurt anything. If he was really high or really low, that would be suspect.Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users