#1 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:32 PM

It's hot, and I need beer. First priority is that it's fast. If I could be drinking it in a month, that would be great. All grain, low on hops, German hops is a bonus, anything darker than a brown ale is out. Any suggestions as to style and recipe are appreciated.Help me beer forum, you're my only hope!

#2 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:34 PM

It's hot, and I need beer. First priority is that it's fast. If I could be drinking it in a month, that would be great. All grain, low on hops, German hops is a bonus, anything darker than a brown ale is out. Any suggestions as to style and recipe are appreciated.Help me beer forum, you're my only hope!

ken lenard's MLPA sounds right on the money for your requirementsIt's quick, it's not heavy, it uses Mt. Hood in a single doseit's in the recipe forumhttps://www.brews-br...__fromsearch__1

Edited by miccullen, 19 May 2010 - 07:37 PM.

#3 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:38 PM

ken lenard's MLPA sounds right on the money for your requirementsIt's quick, it's not heavy, it uses Mt. Hood in a single doseit's in the recipe forum

You know what's really sad?About 6 months ago, BB made a batch of MLPA. Things got so insanely busy that it never even got racked out of primary. It just sat in the corner of the basement, forgotten.Last night I dug it out and kegged it. Between the airlock drying out and sitting on the yeast cake for six months, it's undrinkable. :stabby: :covreyes:

#4 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:40 PM

You know what's really sad?About 6 months ago, BB made a batch of MLPA. Things got so insanely busy that it never even got racked out of primary. It just sat in the corner of the basement, forgotten.Last night I dug it out and kegged it. Between the airlock drying out and sitting on the yeast cake for six months, it's undrinkable. :stabby: :covreyes:

oh noes!had that happen before

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Tell me about Mt Hood hops.

#6 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26199 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

I'm sipping a mlpa based beer hopped with cents for bittering and dh with Amarillo ... Mighty tasty. If you want German hops I would suggest a cream ale grain bill fermented with chico and a dose of noble hops at flame out.

#7 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:46 PM

They are an american Triploid variety of Hallertauer, they have a little Citrus but very little, you could use any hop you want, but I personally like them especially in a beer like MPLA.Amarillo is another great choice for this.

#8 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26199 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:47 PM

Hallertau based triploid ... Lots of noble characteristics, but a little more subdued IMO. In the MLPA recipe you could sub any German type hop you have on hand without an issue

#9 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:48 PM

I know what triploid means in the context of apple genetics, does it mean the same thing in hops?

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:49 PM

I'm sipping a mlpa based beer hopped with cents for bittering and dh with Amarillo ... Mighty tasty. If you want German hops I would suggest a cream ale grain bill fermented with chico and a dose of noble hops at flame out.

mmm both of these are great choicesA good all malt Cream/Blonde Ale with about 1.045 Gravity 20 Ibus of any of the Hallertuaers would do the trick nicely.

#11 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68763 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 07:51 PM

I know what triploid means in the context of apple genetics, does it mean the same thing in hops?

(not a qualified scientist) but yes AFAIK it doesLINKAMAJAGER

#12 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:00 PM

Pale Ale is quick, and easy and you can chuck whatever hops you want in.OG 13ishMostly 2 row, chuck in some C60 for colorIBUs in the 30-40 range.Ferment with WL001 at 68 and it should finish in 4-7 days. Rack and dry hop. Chill to 32 for a week. Rack again, keep chilled for another week with new dry hops.Keg, force carb, enjoy.MolBasser

Edited by MolBasser, 19 May 2010 - 08:01 PM.

#13 EWW

EWW

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26199 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:01 PM

(not a qualified scientist) but yes AFAIK it doesLINKAMAJAGER

I think it just means they are sterile because of a genetic chromosome deformity

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54338 posts

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:11 PM

Mt. Hood hops are the yummiest, most noble American hops around. Very clean, slightly spicy and German-like although they're American. Sorry to hear about the forgotten MLPA in the corner, but it really is a great, quick beer. Bases Loaded Blonde is a quick-turnaround too. Check out the recipes on my site (link below)... many beers similar to your description. Cheers.

#15 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 19 May 2010 - 08:18 PM

Most normal gravity ales should be 21-30 day beers.This, of course, assumes you have proper cellar temperature control.MolBasser

#16 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25399 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 19 May 2010 - 10:12 PM

I brewed an ordinary bitter and served it to my homebrew club 8 days later (force carbed of course) to great acclaim. A 1.040 or so ale will easily ferment out in a week, give or take, depending on yeast health, temp, pitch rate etc.

#17 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 20 May 2010 - 06:45 AM

You know what's really sad?About 6 months ago, BB made a batch of MLPA. Things got so insanely busy that it never even got racked out of primary. It just sat in the corner of the basement, forgotten.Last night I dug it out and kegged it. Between the airlock drying out and sitting on the yeast cake for six months, it's undrinkable. :P :covreyes:

Sheds a tear or three for the forgotten batch in the corner.:stabby:

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:04 AM

hefeweizen is the fastest turn around I know of. great for the summer time too!ETA: also nice b/c you don't have to feel bad that it didn't clear up :covreyes:

#19 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19239 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:12 AM

hefeweizen is the fastest turn around I know of. great for the summer time too!

+1 on a Hefe.50% 2-row, 50% wheat, OG 1.040 to 1.050, bitter to 20 IBU with German hops, ferment at 70 to 75 dF with a Hefeweizen yeast.

#20 davelew

davelew

Comptroller of ACMSO That Are Not Beans

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 19239 posts
  • LocationReading, Massachusetts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:20 AM

I'm a big fan of Berliner Weisse for a summer quaffer, but it's tough to get one ready in four weeks. This is my recipe for Berliner Weisse:50% pilsner, 50% wheat, OG 1.030, mash the grains and drain directly into fermenter. Throw in a handful of unmashed, uncracked grain to make sure it's infected. Put the fermenter in a water bath, and use a fishtank heater to keep the bath at 85 dF. The temperature is important if you want it to sour quickly. Keg when it's sour enough for you, usually about 2 weeks for my taste (and I like 'em sour). No boil, no hops, no yeast, no problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users