• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 08:04 AM

Hi,I'm new to the board and fairly new to brewing.I remember a few years ago Jack Daniels made a short lived attempt to jump on the microbrew bandwagon (1995-99 or so). John Barrett was brewmeister. I remember their Amber Lager was very good and I was sorry it got discontinued.Well, thanks to this obsessive collector:https://www.jdcollec....com/beer1.htmlhttps://www.jdcollec....com/beer2.htmlI was able to have a look at a promotional kit that reveals all of the ingredients:malted two-row barleycaramel maltcluster and tettnang hopsaged with american white oak barrel wood from bourbon barrelsI'm guessing that the cluster was used for bittering and the tettnang for aroma. What kind of ratio of two-row barley to caramel malt do you think he used?

#2 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:17 AM

I never had that beer. From the link it looks to be about 60L Crystal (caramel) malt. I think the yeast strain is going to make a big difference. Any idea what yeast they used? With something like White Lab's California Ale yeast you could easily go up to 15% crystal malt (85% 2-row) for your grist without the end-product being overly sweet. I would guess the same as you on the hops. Welcome to the board.

#3 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 11:40 AM

I never had that beer. From the link it looks to be about 60L Crystal (caramel) malt. I think the yeast strain is going to make a big difference. Any idea what yeast they used? With something like White Lab's California Ale yeast you could easily go up to 15% crystal malt (85% 2-row) for your grist without the end-product being overly sweet. I would guess the same as you on the hops. Welcome to the board.

Thanks, very helpful. Unfortunately I don't know what yeast they used. I imagine to get any more info than I already have i'd have to find a way to contact Barret. Would they have used an ale yeast to make a lager you think?

#4 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26137 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 30 April 2009 - 12:03 PM

Thanks, very helpful. Unfortunately I don't know what yeast they used. I imagine to get any more info than I already have i'd have to find a way to contact Barret. Would they have used an ale yeast to make a lager you think?

This might help you track him down

#5 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 30 April 2009 - 09:10 PM

You're right, brain fart on my part there. Probably some sort of Bavarian lager yeast would do the trick. And thinking more about it I might start more around 10% crystal malt for the first try if I were doing this.

#6 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

This might help you track him down

thanks, i'm trying the company he mentions in the article.

#7 Greg

Greg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 08:55 AM

You're right, brain fart on my part there. Probably some sort of Bavarian lager yeast would do the trick. And thinking more about it I might start more around 10% crystal malt for the first try if I were doing this.

Sounds good, thanks.

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 01 May 2009 - 03:33 PM

This will probably be a tough assignment. When you have a beer that is no longer available or is not available in your area, it's very tough to research unless you have access to someone who helped make it. In my experience, lager yeasts absolutely make the beer. The maltiness you get from Wyeast 2206 Bavarian, the crispness you get from certain Czech pilsner strains, etc. Very tough to duplicate those flavors with an ale yeast and each of the lager strains have their specific character. I just tapped a keg of a Mexican Vienna I made with White Labs 940 mexican Lager strain. Very nice aroma and flavor from this yeast and pretty much unparalleled in the ale-yeast world.You can assume that this beer wasn't overly hopped, so maybe 4½ to 5 AAU of Cluster up front and then some amount of Tettnanger later in the boil... 20 or 15 minutes. If the yeast was American (quite possibly), you could try WLP840, Wyeast 2007 or 2035. Lots of wiggle room here and a very forgiving style which could be a lot of fun. Cheers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users