10 replies to this topic

#1 Hooperjetcar

Hooperjetcar

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • LocationBAMA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:03 PM

I have about 5 lbs of assorted leaf hops that are now over three years old. My brewing has slowed way down, so I am just not getting through them as fast as I wanted to, and I am starting to taste it in the beers I am producing. I was thinking of just doubling up till they are gone (that should use them pretty quick) but was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions. They have been vacuum sealed and stored in a standard freezer.

#2 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:08 PM

Lots of Lambic? Maybe a huge high gravity batch

#3 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Belgium is your friend.BrewBasser

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 28 March 2009 - 03:25 AM

+1 on the Belgian Beers. Any different flavors and I doubt it would be noticed. Find a style you like and hop away.

#5 notwoohoo

notwoohoo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationWoodstock, GA

Posted 28 March 2009 - 04:59 AM

I had a difficult time recently finding aged hops for a lambic...

#6 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2664 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 07:27 AM

I also have a pound or so in my freezer that are about 2 years old. I guess I'll start looking at some belgian recipes. I've been brewing with them and haven't noticed any bad effect yet, but I've also been making maltier beers. I just kegged up a pale ale that I used them in. I'll see how it turns out.

Edited by rockon, 28 March 2009 - 07:27 AM.

#7 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:05 AM

Don't assume that just because hops have a few years under their belt, that they are somehow automatically unusable in your regular beers. I've got hops going back to the 2004 crop that are still in great shape and which I'm using in my beers. Of course, I've vacuum sealed them and kept them in a chest freezer. So.......before deciding to abandon hops just because they aren't last year's crop, see what condition they're in first.

#8 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 28 March 2009 - 08:09 AM

Don't assume that just because hops have a few years under their belt, that they are somehow automatically unusable in your regular beers. I've got hops going back to the 2004 crop that are still in great shape and which I'm using in my beers. Of course, I've vacuum sealed them and kept them in a chest freezer. So.......before deciding to abandon hops just because they aren't last year's crop, see what condition they're in first.

I agree with Lager. They may not be in the best shape, but they aren't ready for Lambics either. Hops for lambics are aged at room temp. and exposed to O2 for a couple years. Mashman

#9 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 02:21 PM

Hops don't go bad IMHO just because the calendar says they are. Smell them. Are they cheesy? If not use them as new! If they are losing their aroma, I believe they are still good for bitterness additions, just not flavor or aroma.Boil them. Make some Golden Strong or barleywine. Hate to see you not use them!

#10 DaKine

DaKine

a compt roller

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 591 posts
  • LocationPuna

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:19 PM

I agree with the bittering opinion. I've used pellet hops a few years old, just ziplock in the freezer. no problemo, but I'm not a beer judge, either.

#11 Greatfookin

Greatfookin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 427 posts
  • LocationRiver Grove , Illinois

Posted 29 March 2009 - 02:23 PM

You could always send them to me for proper disposal. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users