76 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 28 April 2009 - 04:12 PM

Drinking it right now - I could use 5 gallons of this kicking around - what goes into it?

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2009 - 07:11 PM

Drinking it right now - I could use 5 gallons of this kicking around - what goes into it?

I think that was discussed in the last Zymurgy, I would have to check to see if a recipe was there too. Just got it and I've barely looked at it so far.

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:27 AM

I think that was discussed in the last Zymurgy, I would have to check to see if a recipe was there too. Just got it and I've barely looked at it so far.

This is what I found HERE:1 lbs. Belgian Munich info1 lbs. Belgian Caravienne info1 lbs. Belgian Pale info0.5 lbs. Belgian Aromatic info6 lbs. Muntons Dry Light info1.2 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info0.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. infoYeast : WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale infocinnamonorange peel

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 April 2009 - 03:21 PM

This is what I found HERE:1 lbs. Belgian Munich info1 lbs. Belgian Caravienne info1 lbs. Belgian Pale info0.5 lbs. Belgian Aromatic info6 lbs. Muntons Dry Light info1.2 oz. Styrian Goldings (Pellets, 6.00 %AA) boiled 60 min. info0.5 oz. Mt. Hood (Pellets, 5.00 %AA) boiled 15 min. infoYeast : WYeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale infocinnamonorange peel

Is there really a different between "belgian" munich and other munichs? I can't imagine hunting down a special munich. Also - what is muntons dry light? Is this like maris otter?

#5 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 29 April 2009 - 04:14 PM

Is there really a different between "belgian" munich and other munichs? I can't imagine hunting down a special munich. Also - what is muntons dry light? Is this like maris otter?

It appears the muntons is referring to light DME.

#6 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

It appears the muntons is referring to light DME.

whats the grain equivalent to this?

#7 Rick

Rick

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA

Posted 16 May 2009 - 10:11 PM

In this recipe, pilsner malt would replace light DME.Just had my first Rare Vos this evening! Damn good. That beer is discussed in the latest Zymurgy, but I don't have my copy with me... When I make my way back home, I'll PM ya with some details of what was covered.Rick

#8 Recklessdeck

Recklessdeck

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  • LocationLawrence

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:07 PM

Does your shop carry castle malts? If so they are a belgian maltster. If they don't I bet you could sub weyermanns and no one would know the difference.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

In this recipe, pilsner malt would replace light DME.Just had my first Rare Vos this evening! Damn good. That beer is discussed in the latest Zymurgy, but I don't have my copy with me... When I make my way back home, I'll PM ya with some details of what was covered.Rick

Sweet!

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 07:23 AM

Anyone have anything here?

#11 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:16 AM

Wow! Thats my old recipe from Beertools when I started brewing! cool.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 18 May 2010 - 10:35 AM

Wow! Thats my old recipe from Beertools when I started brewing! cool.

so how did it turn out?

#13 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:02 AM

so how did it turn out?

I never made the recipe, I was changing over to all grain and never got back to make it unfortunatly. I got the basics for the recipe from a tour guide at the Ommegang brewery, so it should be close.....

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 09:08 AM

I never made the recipe, I was changing over to all grain and never got back to make it unfortunatly. I got the basics for the recipe from a tour guide at the Ommegang brewery, so it should be close.....

good to know - I found yours and one other one I think and they are pretty similar. I'll probably base my recipe on some combo of the two. ETA: here is the other recipe

8 lbs Belgian Pils 1 lb Belgian Munich 1 lb Belgian Pale Ale .5 lb Belgian Caravienne .5 lb Belgian Aromatic 1.75 lb Home Made Candi Sugar 1 oz Styrian Goldings @ 60 .75 Saaz @ 15 .35 oz Corriander @ 10 .50 oz Sweet Orange Peel @ 10 .5 tsp Grains of Paradise @ 5 Wyeast 3522 | Belgian Ardennes Mash In @ 154 for 60 Minutes

I think the use of Saaz might be more accurate vs mt. hood. I'm not sure about the grains of paradise so I'll probably skip that. How did you come up with the cinnamon for your version? I'm glad to see the malts are lining up fairly well.

#15 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:07 AM

I think the use of Saaz might be more accurate vs mt. hood. I'm not sure about the grains of paradise so I'll probably skip that. How did you come up with the cinnamon for your version? I'm glad to see the malts are lining up fairly well.

I'd agree on ditching the grains of paradise. Even if it's what they use I've never had much luck using it myself. I've gotten some funky results, maybe i just never dialed in the right amount to be using. This thread got me thinking so I bought a bottle of this stuff last night. I'm giving it a day to settle back down and then I'll try it. I could be into a cafe style belgian.

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 10:57 AM

I could be into a cafe style belgian.

I'm not a HUGE Belgian guy although I do enjoy them from time to time. Rare Vos however, I think is awesome. One of my favorite beers hands down. It's not quite as funky as some other Belgians but just funky enough for me. Please let me know what you think!

#17 Tripel666

Tripel666

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 05:33 PM

good to know - I found yours and one other one I think and they are pretty similar. I'll probably base my recipe on some combo of the two. ETA: here is the other recipe I think the use of Saaz might be more accurate vs mt. hood. I'm not sure about the grains of paradise so I'll probably skip that. How did you come up with the cinnamon for your version? I'm glad to see the malts are lining up fairly well.

Saaz is more accurate, its what I had available then. the cinnamon came from the tour guide as he explained the different spices for the various beers, yet still using the same house yeast for all the beers. Post how the batch comes out, I'm thinking of making a Rare Vos clone this summer too. thanks. Fred

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:36 PM

Saaz is more accurate, its what I had available then. the cinnamon came from the tour guide as he explained the different spices for the various beers, yet still using the same house yeast for all the beers. Post how the batch comes out, I'm thinking of making a Rare Vos clone this summer too. thanks. Fred

Just drank a Rare Vos and threw some starter into the bottle to hopefully step up the yeast to something I can use.

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 20 May 2010 - 07:53 PM

Just drank a Rare Vos and threw some starter into the bottle to hopefully step up the yeast to something I can use.

I heard the yeast was wyeast's forbidden fruit. I have cultured rare vos dregs and used them in a dubbel, and also brewed the same dubbel with the forbidden fruit. Tasted identical to me.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 21 May 2010 - 04:14 AM

I heard the yeast was wyeast's forbidden fruit. I have cultured rare vos dregs and used them in a dubbel, and also brewed the same dubbel with the forbidden fruit. Tasted identical to me.

Good to know in case I fail at this. :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users