#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:53 AM

I'm going to pick up a pizza for dinner tonight and the best beer store in town is right next to the pizza place, so I thought I would go in and get some good beers while I wait for my order.What should I pick up? They have just about every craft brew you can think of.I was thinking maybe a sixer SN Summer Fest. What else?Cheers,Rich

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:54 AM

Seeing you are in Tampa how about some Cigar City cedar aged IPA?

#3 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:02 AM

Seeing you are in Tampa how about some Cigar City cedar aged IPA?

Good idea. That made the list. I figure on getting at least 20 beers, which will give me enough to try out while my before my latest homebrew is done in 6 weeks or so.Cheers,Rich

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18080 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:05 AM

Good idea. That made the list. I figure on getting at least 20 beers, which will give me enough to try out while my before my latest homebrew is done in 6 weeks or so.Cheers,Rich

You get Bells in FLA don't you? If so I would pick up some of that, 2 hearted maybe?

#5 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54317 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:39 AM

Let's get old-school with some Olympia, Black Label, Goebel, Shaeffer, Drewery's, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's and Old Heidelburg. That should hold you for a couple of weeks. Oh, and all of those beers should be in cans. :frank:

#6 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

Let's get old-school with some Olympia, Black Label, Goebel, Shaeffer, Drewery's, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's and Old Heidelburg. That should hold you for a couple of weeks. Oh, and all of those beers should be in cans. :frank:

Um, no. Nice try though, Ken.Cheers,Rich

#7 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Let's get old-school with some Olympia, Black Label, Goebel, Shaeffer, Drewery's, Stroh's, Old Milwaukee, Hamm's and Old Heidelburg. That should hold you for a couple of weeks. Oh, and all of those beers should be in cans. Posted Image

*reported*

#8 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54317 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

Meister-Brau? :frank: RCEMECH: Is this a place where they have individual bottles? I love the idea of grabbing 1 or 2 of something I haven't tried along with individual bottles of other stuff. I usually look for stuff that I haven't tried before (there are always new micros popping up) and then I usually grab something like some Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen or Paulaner Pils, you know... something from the old country. Cheers & have fun browsing.

#9 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:21 AM

Meister-Brau? :frank: RCEMECH: Is this a place where they have individual bottles? I love the idea of grabbing 1 or 2 of something I haven't tried along with individual bottles of other stuff. I usually look for stuff that I haven't tried before (there are always new micros popping up) and then I usually grab something like some Ayinger Oktoberfest-Marzen or Paulaner Pils, you know... something from the old country. Cheers & have fun browsing.

Yes. Its kinda tough to pick something to try because there are soooo many choices and so many beers I have never heard of. Usually the pakistani/indian (???) guy that runs the place helps me find something good. He is fun to talk to and is really passionate about beer.Cheers,Rich

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54317 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 10:27 AM

Yes. Its kinda tough to pick something to try because there are soooo many choices and so many beers I have never heard of. Usually the pakistani/indian (???) guy that runs the place helps me find something good. He is fun to talk to and is really passionate about beer.Cheers,Rich

Well, aside from the German stuff, I usually like to look for local stuff that I haven't seen before. Last time, I found this stuff called Crown Valley which is from Missouri. Every style looked good to me...an amber lager, a classic pilsner, a red ale, etc. I forget all of the styles I saw, but I picked up the amber lager and pilsner and they were really nice. As you say, tough to make a selection when you're surrounded by choices... but something tells me that you'll have fun. And Hey... you may come out of there with a Pakistani accent as well! Cheers.Oh yeah, there was a Vienna, a rapsberry wheat and a nice-looking pale ale too!

#11 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:07 PM

Beer to go with pizza? I'd start with a Saison Rue out of the Bruery, then Ommegang Three Philosophers, then move onto something like Great Divide's Yeti or Goose Islands Bourbon County Stout.Yea... that should do nicely.

#12 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

Beer to go with pizza? I'd start with a Saison Rue out of the Bruery, then Ommegang Three Philosophers, then move onto something like Great Divide's Yeti or Goose Islands Bourbon County Stout.Yea... that should do nicely.

Not necessarily just for tonight. Just a stock up for the next 6 weeks.Cheers,Rich

#13 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 28 April 2010 - 01:23 PM

Not necessarily just for tonight. Just a stock up for the next 6 weeks.Cheers,Rich

If you drank all of those in 1 night it'd be a short night :frank:I'd pick a style you like and work your way through it trying examples from different breweries. I wouldn't try this with something like IPA's or sours as those will burn you out fast but you could easily do stouts, porters, saisons, pales, bock's, and a number of the belgian sub categories.Toss in a can of teh Dragon for when you start slowing down.

#14 HarvInSTL

HarvInSTL

Atomic Chef Harvey

• Patron
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MO

Posted 28 April 2010 - 04:06 PM

I think me and you need to swap some beer! Your locals for my locals.

#15 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:57 PM

Ok I picked up 3 different 6er's of IPA. This will be a good because my pallet will be ready and used to it when Denny's Rye IPA is ready (gonna brew either Sunday or next weekend).I was disappointed because he ran out of the cigar city IPA, and he is getting more tomorrow, he also didn't have any SN Summer Fest, and none of the Harvest special Ales from SN. I ended up getting:Brooklyn: Summer AleThomas Hooker: Hop Meadow IPAGreat Divide Brewing Co.:Titan IPACheers,Rich

#16 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 05:58 PM

I think me and you need to swap some beer! Your locals for my locals.

We don't have a lot of local breweries. Cigar City is the only one I have heard of in Tampa now. The Ybor brewery closed a few years back.Cheers,Rich

#17 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:06 PM

Anything with the words "Barleywine" work for me. :D

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

I started a spreadsheet to keep track of the beers I try so I can try more new beers (to me) and get the ones I liked best. There are so many to try and remember that its not funny.Cheers,Rich

#19 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:20 AM

I asked this in the PH in a post, but I figured I would put it here to get a better answer and not hijack the thread. They are talking about BMC swill. I mentioned that I did not like Miller because all of their beers taste skunky to me.I had a Brooklyn Summer Ale last night that was like that (skunky, read on though), but the flavor seemed to change as I drank the beer. When I started drinking it, I thought it was refreshing and tasty, but by the time I finished it (I was outside on the porch, still light out) I could taste the same skunky flavor that Miller has. Could it have skunked in the 10 minutes it was in my glass? I will have to try again when I get home tonight. The Brooklyn Brewery website says that there are 2 row English malts, German Perle, American Cascade, Fuggle and Amarillo in the recipe. Could it be one of those hops is common to miller products, and I just don't like it? That would be a good thing to know so I could avoid it in my homebrews. I have used Perle (american I think???) cascade, and fuggles, and I don't remember any of my homebrew having that distinct miller flavor.Cheers,Rich

Edited by rcemech, 30 April 2010 - 11:21 AM.

#20 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 02:00 PM

Come on guys, don't make me ask this on another forum... (see post above)Cheers,Rich

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users