#1 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:45 PM

How long do you typical mid-gravity lagers take to reach FG?I've got a dunkel in primary and I'm wondering how long I should expect it to be there.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 01:52 PM

How long do you typical mid-gravity lagers take to reach FG?I've got a dunkel in primary and I'm wondering how long I should expect it to be there.

I think it's usually a little under 2 weeks for me but I usually let them hang around in primary for at least 3 weeks.ETA: wyeast 2308, O'fests and Munich Dunkels

#3 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 02:52 PM

It depends. If it's the first run of the yeast, it could be a little longer. If I'm using yeast slurry that I just harvested the same day, it could be shorter. Generally, I leave the lager at 50°-ish until activity seems to slow. Then I allow the temp to get just a little higher for a few days then I leave it closer to 60° for another few days to clean up. 10-14 days is common and I try NOT to hurry a beer, no matter what. Cheers Lagerman.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:05 PM

I agree with both posts above. I ferment my lagers at 50 degrees, first yeast pitch is a little longer and each repitch can be shortened but I plan to leave it so FG can be reached. Its typically from 2-3 weeks here. I don't normally warm up till I get close to FG but I think after you are 75% there you can start the warm up process as well. I normally wait at least 10-12 days before I check FG as well since it normally is never done before that as well. Cheers

#5 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:05 PM

I've got a dunkel in primary and I'm wondering how long I should expect it to be there.

The dunkel I have on tap now took 9 days to ferment, then I crashed it and hit it with gelatin. It was clear and carbonated and tasty 4 days later.My bohemian pils was brewed recently at a local brewery. We were drinking it clear and carbed 14 days after brewday. And it was best as fresh as possible.With a good pitch of yeast, o2, and temperature control, lagers shouldn't be taking too much longer than comparable gravity ales.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 28 April 2010 - 06:29 PM

The dunkel I have on tap now took 9 days to ferment, then I crashed it and hit it with gelatin. It was clear and carbonated and tasty 4 days later.My bohemian pils was brewed recently at a local brewery. We were drinking it clear and carbed 14 days after brewday. And it was best as fresh as possible.With a good pitch of yeast, o2, and temperature control, lagers shouldn't be taking too much longer than comparable gravity ales.

Yes, I bow to that common sense post. Good amount of yeast, O2, temp control and you can get a lager to the taps quicker than most people think. The long, extended lagering phase can help do some things but if you get these primary points nailed down right from the start, lagers can still be quick & delicious. Cheers.

#7 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 28 April 2010 - 08:26 PM

Make sure you let it heat up a bit before it finishes primary fermentation to clean up the diacetyl before you chill it to lager....MolBasser

Edited by MolBasser, 28 April 2010 - 08:27 PM.

#8 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 April 2010 - 05:01 AM

No lagering at all, eh? I like the sound of that. If it tastes good, drink it, right?

Make sure you let it heat up a bit before it finishes primary fermentation to clean up the diacetyl before you chill it to lager....MolBasser

Yeah, I'll definitely let it creep up to the mid-upper 50s for the last couple of days of fermentation.

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:00 AM

This may be slighty OT, but that's never stopped me before. :D When I used to make beer at a Brew-On-Premise, the schedule was that you went in and brewed your beer and then came back 2 weeks later to bottle it. In those 2 weeks, the beer would sit in a walk-in cooler (set to the temp that corresponded to your style) and before you came in to bottle it, the staff would crash your beer, filter it and keg it (you actually tapped the beer into bottles and capped it). The place always said that you could come in anytime to bottle as long as it was at least 2 weeks later. We always came in exactly 2 weeks later... sometimes our beers were ales, sometimes lagers. They always came out really, really good. I realize you're not going to filter your beer, but maybe that's one of the things that speeds up the process. * shrug *

#10 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 06:38 AM

If you can get a lager fermented, cleared, carbonated , and then serve it in 14 days, without sacrificing the smoothness you would expect to get from lagering, then I have to wonder why the big guys don't do this. You would think that they would be taking any shortcut they could to maximize efficiency and accerate production.

#11 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

I think the big guys do turn their lagers around pretty quick. I've even seen some publications where they outline various techniques for turning over a lager quickly and how flavor profiles are affected. Basically they do what slainte said - pitch a ton of yeast and aerate. Lots of yeast and O2 can lead to slightly higher diacetyl production so a d-rest is a good idea as already mentioned.

#12 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 29 April 2010 - 08:59 AM

I think the big guys do turn their lagers around pretty quick. I've even seen some publications where they outline various techniques for turning over a lager quickly and how flavor profiles are affected. Basically they do what slainte said - pitch a ton of yeast and aerate. Lots of yeast and O2 can lead to slightly higher diacetyl production so a d-rest is a good idea as already mentioned.

But 14 days? I claim no knowledge about the specific practices at the major breweries, but I had heard it was like 4 weeks from pitch to bottle for the standard lagers.

#13 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 29 April 2010 - 02:39 PM

From first hand experience, AB does 7 days ferment, 21 days lagering.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:19 AM

Do you all typically see less of a Krausen with your lagers. It's there on this dunkel, but it's pretty thin.

#15 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:32 AM

Do you all typically see less of a Krausen with your lagers. It's there on this dunkel, but it's pretty thin.

On average I'd say the krausen on my lagers doesn't make as high up the side of the fermenter as my ales.

#16 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 April 2010 - 05:49 AM

On average I'd say the krausen on my lagers doesn't make as high up the side of the fermenter as my ales.

+1

#17 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 07:03 AM

Yep, very subdued fermentations. Mine are usually in a plastic primary so I can't see them, but I can tell what happened in there when I pop the top. Sounds like everything is going according to plan. :mellow:

#18 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64140 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:01 AM

I'll take a hydrometer sample (and, more importantly, a taste test) tonight. Hopefully, it's moving along nicely. I've been out of town the last few days and when I came home last night I did notice that the fermentation had a bit of a sulfury aroma to it. Not that I was surprised by that, as I understand that's very common in cold fermentations, but it's just a different experience than most ales (except the hefe I did last year @62°F, that thing was a sulfur bomb!).

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54211 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:26 AM

I'll take a hydrometer sample (and, more importantly, a taste test) tonight. Hopefully, it's moving along nicely. I've been out of town the last few days and when I came home last night I did notice that the fermentation had a bit of a sulfury aroma to it. Not that I was surprised by that, as I understand that's very common in cold fermentations, but it's just a different experience than most ales (except the hefe I did last year @62°F, that thing was a sulfur bomb!).

It's wild because the sulphury smells can be really strong. I have experienced them at the end of primary and also closer to the beginning. My wife has told me that the basement smells like farts. Yes honey, I know... it's just lager. Miraculously, that aroma fades by the time the beer is served. Good luck!

#20 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 30 April 2010 - 11:50 AM

No lagering at all, eh? I like the sound of that. If it tastes good, drink it, right?

Lagering is mainly used to clear the beer up, that's what smooths it out and gets rid of the "green beer" taste many people refer too. Traditionally that was the process, because they had no other way. Now many German brewers sterile filter their beer instead, and send their beer out as fresh as possible.

Yeah, you generally won't get as much krausen with lager yeast.

I wouldn't worry about it. It'll vent off with a way out and a little time. Many beers on tap around Germany have a little sulfur to them because they're so fresh.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users