Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

A New Start Community Brew - The Grain Bill

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

Poll: What should the grain bill be? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

What wheat proportion?

1. 25% (8 votes [18.18%])

Percentage of vote: 18.18%

2. 30% (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

3. 35% (7 votes [15.91%])

Percentage of vote: 15.91%

4. 40% (8 votes [18.18%])

5. 45% (1 votes [2.27%])

Percentage of vote: 2.27%

6. 50% (8 votes [18.18%])

7. Don't Care (aka No Pants) (5 votes [11.36%])

Percentage of vote: 11.36%

What OG should we shoot for?

1. 1.045 (1 votes [2.27%])

2. 1.050 (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

3. 1.055 (17 votes [38.64%])

Percentage of vote: 38.64%

4. 1.060 (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

5. 1.065 (6 votes [13.64%])

Percentage of vote: 13.64%

6. 1.070 (1 votes [2.27%])

7. 1.075 (3 votes [6.82%])

Percentage of vote: 6.82%

8. Don't Care (aka No Pants) (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

Specialty Grains?

1. No, base grains only! (2 votes [4.55%])

Percentage of vote: 4.55%

2. A very little. (28 votes [63.64%])

Percentage of vote: 63.64%

3. Load 'em up! (10 votes [22.73%])

Percentage of vote: 22.73%

4. Don't Care (aka No Pants) (4 votes [9.09%])

Percentage of vote: 9.09%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:53 PM

So, here's the concept: an easy drinking beer in the Pale Ale / IPA family. Only we're going to use a good percentage of wheat in the recipe. Keep mostly focused on this middle-range beer. We'll use the data from this to form a session beer version, and a barleywine version - suitable for aging and consuming on the board's anniversary.Looking forward to what this board comes up with! Please discuss specialty grain ideas, and anything else related to this recipe. Monday at 2:30-3pm PDT I'll be posting the hop poll.

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 27 March 2009 - 02:55 PM

I chose 40%, 1.060, and very little specialty. I think keeping it basic here is a good idea. How about like Aromatic malt?

Edited by badogg, 27 March 2009 - 02:56 PM.

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21341 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:01 PM

I vote for L60 grain maybe with a little roasted barley.

#4 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

My choice isn't in the first question, about how much wheat. I say 60%, with a few character malts and the rest made up of Maris Otter, Vienna or Munich. For character, some medium crystal and aromatic will go great. If you want more character, biscuit or honey malt or special B will all fit the bill -- but special B will add quite a bit of color and make it more amber. Another great character malt is Caramel Wheat, but that will add more color than a medium 40-60 crystal.I'm a little worried about the barleywine version, though. In my experience (both making and drinking), wheat-based beers don't age well. Wheat adds a kind of spicy, even a little sour, flavor to a beer. Over time, as the hops fade, the wheat gets spicier and more sour, and the result is usually not very pleasant. So I'd suggest doing an IPA or pale ale with the wheat, but in the big version, replace most of the wheat with a different base malt, like Maris Otter.

#5 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:08 PM

I'm a little worried about the barleywine version, though. In my experience (both making and drinking), wheat-based beers don't age well. Wheat adds a kind of spicy, even a little sour, flavor to a beer. Over time, as the hops fade, the wheat gets spicier and more sour, and the result is usually not very pleasant. So I'd suggest doing an IPA or pale ale with the wheat, but in the big version, replace most of the wheat with a different base malt, like Maris Otter.

Thanks, I haven't done much at all with wheat, so that's something to keep in mind when we tune the barleywine version.

#6 cj in j

cj in j

Advanced Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 244 posts
  • LocationMishima, Japan

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:12 PM

Well, don't just take my word for it about the wheat -- it could just be the way I brew and/or drink. Hopefully others will either confirm or deny.By the way, I'm assuming that the hops are already decided -- given the recent history and the reason this forum was started, I guess it's going to be a single-hop all . . . NUGGET beer, right? :)

#7 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:16 PM

Hahaha, I've got Nugget hops on hand too.As for the grains, I use MO, Vienna and Munich all the time. What about using another pale ale malt that's less frequently used, like Golden Promise?

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

My choice isn't in the first question, about how much wheat. I say 60%, with a few character malts and the rest made up of Maris Otter, Vienna or Munich. For character, some medium crystal and aromatic will go great. If you want more character, biscuit or honey malt or special B will all fit the bill -- but special B will add quite a bit of color and make it more amber. Another great character malt is Caramel Wheat, but that will add more color than a medium 40-60 crystal.

Lol, I was reading this thinking that it sounds like a wheat versin of your JPA. Which might not be a bad idea actually. :)

#9 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:23 PM

Hahaha, I've got Nugget hops on hand too.As for the grains, I use MO, Vienna and Munich all the time. What about using another pale ale malt that's less frequently used, like Golden Promise?

My thought on base malt, and I may be totally off base here, was that we'd have it be brewer's choice. The base:wheat ratio would be set, but people could use whatever specific base malt they can get their hands on.Hrm, nugget hops :)

#10 tjthresh

tjthresh

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis, IN

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:26 PM

30 percent. 1.055. Very little specialty grains.

#11 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 03:27 PM

Hrm, nugget hops :)

I've never used nugget hops before, but my buddy brought me a rhizome that I need to plant for my first try at growing my own hops. Good to see that a couple of you like them. :devil:

#12 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:21 PM

My thought on base malt, and I may be totally off base here, was that we'd have it be brewer's choice. The base:wheat ratio would be set, but people could use whatever specific base malt they can get their hands on.Hrm, nugget hops :)

Nugget hops are a good idea ( Ihave a pound of them) so yeah i vote nugget hops at least as a bittering hop

#13 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68757 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:25 PM

I chose 40%, 1.060, and very little specialty. I think keeping it basic here is a good idea. How about like Aromatic malt?

Sounds good to me Aromatic is leh awesome

#14 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:43 PM

OK, a barleywine for the anniversary. But keep a session beer for a year. NAW!Barleywine for aging. I am so seriously with that. British style preferred.Partigyle a session beer for drinkin NOW!Put that in you mash tun and convert it!

#15 bdutton

bdutton

Comptroller of Gifts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10483 posts
  • LocationIn your head, 24x7

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:25 PM

I'm pretty pumped about this new beer.I do only extract with some specialty grains so I'm counting on you guys to come up with the conversions for me.I have plenty of Muntons XL DME on hand. I was planning on brewing something next weekend.

#16 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 27 March 2009 - 06:40 PM

I'm pretty pumped about this new beer.I do only extract with some specialty grains so I'm counting on you guys to come up with the conversions for me.I have plenty of Muntons XL DME on hand. I was planning on brewing something next weekend.

It won't be too hard to convert. Using the extra light is the way to do it for most every extract brew, except for when you want to simulate a heavy proportion of wheat in the grist. Since that's the goal here, you'll want to pick up some wheat DME too, which usually comes in a 60:40 wheat:barley ratio.

#17 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

OK, a barleywine for the anniversary. But keep a session beer for a year. NAW!

Sorry if I was unclear. Session for now, barelywine for the anniversary. Brew one, brew 'em all, it's your choice.

#18 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14965 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 March 2009 - 09:34 PM

Hey, I'm where you're at to, so I'm going to make sure it looks good to me from that point of view.

#19 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2662 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 28 March 2009 - 06:43 AM

I voted 40%, 1.065, and very little.I like CJ's suggestion on the specialty grains, though. Also, for whatever hops we decide on, I think we should come up with a couple alternatives. At least for me, it still isn't easy to find whatever hop I want at all times.

#20 onthekeg

onthekeg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • LocationSW MN

Posted 28 March 2009 - 01:33 PM

all nugget hops eh?? Curses, I just finished the nugget hops from my plant last year... I won't buy any either because I will have at least that much or more this summer. I had 2 five gallon pails worth that I went through! I am for 30% wheat or so to minimize the sparge issues some may have. 1.055 is a good gravity, maybe a little high for a session beer. I use hard red spring wheat unmalted for my wheat beers. I would go for something like 30% wheat, 60% base malt and 10% specialty grains or none at all.What yeast are we planning on using? What yeast are we planning on using? I have S-04, and Nottingham on hand, as well as 2450 and s-05.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users