#1 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 23 March 2010 - 10:01 AM

In case you haven’t noticed, this Thursday, March 25th, is the first anniversary of Brews Brothers' founding. I remember sitting in the passenger seat while we were driving down the Ohio Turnpike, furiously working with cell modem and laptop to get the details of the new board worked out. It was a fun and exciting time, and I’m thrilled to see that the community has stuck together as well as it has.First of all, I’d like to thank the moderating team for their help in maintaining the high standards we’re shooting for on this forum. Without your dedication and humor, this place would be a lot less interesting. I also want to give a special thank you to Ret S. York, our technical guru, without whom we’d be dead in the water. Heck, we never would have gotten off the ground in the first place! Every one of these guys volunteers their time here, and I for one really appreciate it. :covreyes:I’d also like to thank all of you, the membership. This place exists for you, and its content is created by you. It’s you folks and the community that you’ve created that were the impetus for creating this board in the first place. Thank you all for creating a fun, informative, supportive, and interesting place for all of us. :cheers:When we started the board, initially there were no user fees. We shortly changed that to create two levels of users, patrons and members. For a small $5 annual fee, you too can edit your posts! The intent was to build up a fund to pay hosting fees, and I’m happy to say that this effort has been quite successful. At the time, I stated that it was my intent to give any excess funds back to the community, and now is the time to follow through on that.I have purchased four $50 gift certificates to Brewmasters Warehouse, and Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse has donated four more $50 gift certificates. Starting March 25, we will be giving away one gift certificate a day to a random member of the board, until they are gone. The first four drawings are open to all registered users that have logged in within the last two weeks. The last four will only be open to patrons. Winners will be sent a PM with the gift certificate code.A HUGE thank you to Ed for his very generous donation! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: Many of us have been somewhat concerned about the slow attrition of the membership of the board, and the fairly low activity in the brewing forums. Our total traffic is actually slightly up over the course of the year, but there is certainly room for improvement. Over the next couple months, we are going to test using some cheap Google advertising to try to generate a bit more traffic. I have no idea how effective it is going to be, so we’ll keep an eye on it and tweak things as necessary. If you start to see more new faces than usual around here, that is likely why. So put your pants back on (at least for a little while) so as not to scare off the newcomers. :wub:Along similar lines, you may or may not have noticed that Brews-bros.com still does not show up very well in Google searches. Obviously the content you already create helps, but more is always a good thing. One thing that I would like everyone to consider is helping to produce a more robust review forum. We have interesting product review threads in the Public House, but how about making them more formal and putting them in the review forum? Not just beer either - how about that whisky, scotch, rum, or wine you tried last night? I think with the variety of tastes and interests here, filling up that forum with information would be very helpful to the membership, but it would also likely give a good set of keywords to generate Google hits.We’re always open to suggestions. If you folks have any ideas on how to improve the place, we’re certainly open to hearing them. Just to avoid repetition – making new skins is hard and we already tried a wiki for recipes. I guess in reality, we’re open to any suggestions but those. :sarcasm:Here’s to another good year! :cheers: <_< :cheers:

#2 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2010 - 06:17 AM

Today's gift certificate winner is.....MyBeerPants!Congratulations. :)

#3 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:59 AM

Today's gift certificate winner is.....MyBeerPants!Congratulations. :smilielol:

Don't you mean badogg? :)

In case you havenĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢t noticed, this Thursday, March 25th, is the first anniversary of Brews Brothers' founding. I remember sitting in the passenger seat while we were driving down the Ohio Turnpike, furiously working with cell modem and laptop to get the details of the new board worked out. It was a fun and exciting time, and IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m thrilled to see that the community has stuck together as well as it has.First of all, IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢d like to thank the moderating team for their help in maintaining the high standards weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re shooting for on this forum. Without your dedication and humor, this place would be a lot less interesting. I also want to give a special thank you to Ret S. York, our technical guru, without whom weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢d be dead in the water. Heck, we never would have gotten off the ground in the first place! Every one of these guys volunteers their time here, and I for one really appreciate it. :cheers:IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢d also like to thank all of you, the membership. This place exists for you, and its content is created by you. ItĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s you folks and the community that youĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ve created that were the impetus for creating this board in the first place. Thank you all for creating a fun, informative, supportive, and interesting place for all of us. :cheers:When we started the board, initially there were no user fees. We shortly changed that to create two levels of users, patrons and members. For a small $5 annual fee, you too can edit your posts! The intent was to build up a fund to pay hosting fees, and IĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢m happy to say that this effort has been quite successful. At the time, I stated that it was my intent to give any excess funds back to the community, and now is the time to follow through on that.I have purchased four $50 gift certificates to Brewmasters Warehouse, and Ed at Brewmasters Warehouse has donated four more $50 gift certificates. Starting March 25, we will be giving away one gift certificate a day to a random member of the board, until they are gone. The first four drawings are open to all registered users that have logged in within the last two weeks. The last four will only be open to patrons. Winners will be sent a PM with the gift certificate code.A HUGE thank you to Ed for his very generous donation! :cheers: :cheers: :chug: Many of us have been somewhat concerned about the slow attrition of the membership of the board, and the fairly low activity in the brewing forums. Our total traffic is actually slightly up over the course of the year, but there is certainly room for improvement. Over the next couple months, we are going to test using some cheap Google advertising to try to generate a bit more traffic. I have no idea how effective it is going to be, so weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢ll keep an eye on it and tweak things as necessary. If you start to see more new faces than usual around here, that is likely why. So put your pants back on (at least for a little while) so as not to scare off the newcomers. Along similar lines, you may or may not have noticed that Brews-bros.com still does not show up very well in Google searches. Obviously the content you already create helps, but more is always a good thing. One thing that I would like everyone to consider is helping to produce a more robust review forum. We have interesting product review threads in the Public House, but how about making them more formal and putting them in the review forum? Not just beer either - how about that whisky, scotch, rum, or wine you tried last night? I think with the variety of tastes and interests here, filling up that forum with information would be very helpful to the membership, but it would also likely give a good set of keywords to generate Google hits.WeĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re always open to suggestions. If you folks have any ideas on how to improve the place, weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re certainly open to hearing them. Just to avoid repetition Ć¢ā‚¬ā€œ making new skins is hard and we already tried a wiki for recipes. I guess in reality, weĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢re open to any suggestions but those. :cheers:HereĆ¢ā‚¬ā„¢s to another good year!

I also want to thank you Scott and the rest of the moderating team for your time and all that. I think you guys do a pretty good job around this place. :devil:

#4 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:11 AM

that brewing gift certificate is awesome!I hope I win :smilielol:This community is by far one of the best Ive ever been on and will continue to frequent until my love for good people and good beer dies, which will probably be never.HOIST!:)

Edited by CMS, 25 March 2010 - 08:12 AM.

#5 Brewmasters Warehouse

Brewmasters Warehouse

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:20 AM

Congrats on the 1 Year Anniversary. That is awesome for everyone involved. Keep up the good work.Thank you for having a great forum.Ed

#6 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:23 AM

Crap! I wrote up that post in word, and forgot to add links to Ed's place when I posted it. So either get it from his post above, or go to Brewmasters Warehouse to redeem your gift certificates.Thanks again, Ed. We really appreciate it! :)

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:19 AM

I have been ordering from Ed for the past few months, even with a local store nearby...great service, great prices...Great idea! Now Blagojevich me!

#8 rockon

rockon

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2665 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 25 March 2010 - 09:52 AM

Congrats and thanks to everyone who keeps this board running. Awesome about the gift certificates. I was unfamiliar with Brewmaster's Warehouse, but have added them to my links and will try them out for supplies. I have no real loyalty to anyplace I order from online, and would just as soon give my business to someone who supports this board. :)

#9 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 25 March 2010 - 10:21 AM

Today's gift certificate winner is.....MyBeerPants!Congratulations. :smilielol:

Wow! This is so cool! I can finally get that full sack of Carapils I've been lusting after for so long :)A huge thanks to ScottS, Brewmasters Warehouse and everyone who makes this place my go to source for brewing info and fart jokes.Here's to 10 more years of great brewing! :cheers:

Edited by MyBeerPants, 25 March 2010 - 10:21 AM.

#10 Seagis

Seagis

Comptroller of Nothing Being Good Enough

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts
  • LocationThe city of Townsville

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:00 PM

Many of us have been somewhat concerned about the slow attrition of the membership of the board, and the fairly low activity in the brewing forums. Our total traffic is actually slightly up over the course of the year, but there is certainly room for improvement.

Should I change my screen name back to "vagazzle" for you? :sarcasm:

#11 EWW

EWW

Regular, normal human being

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26185 posts
  • LocationSomewhere special

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:27 PM

Hey Scott, what's the status on the financials? Do we need to push for more new patrons and everyone to renew to maintain our little playground?A big HOIST! to everyone who makes this site happen

#12 Connie

Connie

Comptroller of Birthday Princesses

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts
  • LocationHonolulu, Hawai'i

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:30 PM

Should I change my screen name back to "vagazzle" for you? :sarcasm:

Was membership UP when you did that? It just made me think of you as feminine hygiene product really.

#13 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5412 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:32 PM

How about those of us who signed up as patron before? shall we renew our patronage somehow, is there a link? God knows that I need to be able to edit.

#14 Seagis

Seagis

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 07:59 PM

Was membership UP when you did that? It just made me think of you as feminine hygiene product really.

Scott said that it put us all the way up on page 2 of the image search page. :sarcasm:

#15 Seagis

Seagis

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18673 posts

Posted 25 March 2010 - 08:00 PM

How about those of us who signed up as patron before? shall we renew our patronage somehow, is there a link? God knows that I need to be able to edit.

You'll get an autoresponder notice. My subscription expired tonight at 10:30, and I got an email beforehand encouraging me to renew, so I did. :sarcasm:

#16 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:14 AM

Hey Scott, what's the status on the financials? Do we need to push for more new patrons and everyone to renew to maintain our little playground?

The finances are fine, with the expectation that most people will renew. I'm keeping enough in the bank to pay hosting fees for awhile, and to pay any licensing fees that may be necessary for software upgrades.

Yes, you should get an email letting you know that it is expiring.

#17 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 26 March 2010 - 05:24 AM

Our second gift certificate winner is......Mainelybrew!:sarcasm:

#18 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 27 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

Today's winner...... Japhmi!:D :smilielol: :shock:

#19 CarlosM

CarlosM

SeƱor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:24 PM

dang...!

#20 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 27 March 2010 - 03:35 PM

Your odds go up for the last 4, which are only available to patrons. The first three have all gone to patrons, but that's just the luck of the draw. They are open to everyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users