#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:41 PM

Yea i just noticed that on the food network( GOOD EATS) at 8 pm my time there supposed to be looking at homebrewed beer. So i shall at least check it out. Anyone else going to watch it ? i just saw it minutes ago sorry for the short notice.

#2 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:53 PM

Yea i just noticed that on the food network( GOOD EATS) at 8 pm my time there supposed to be looking at homebrewed beer. So i shall at least check it out. Anyone else going to watch it ? i just saw it minutes ago sorry for the short notice.

This is the Good Eats episode that has aired previously and made a lot of us gag at his practices. You will see at the end of the show that he doesn't end with his typical "good eats" pronouncement, but rather says "you be the judge" and takes a sip of his swill. My guess is he probably was puckering on the astringency from the process of boiling the grains. Either that or he got a good taste of bleach! Don't get me wrong, I love the guy. I think he has THE best show on the Network, but this episode was downright dangerous. You can go over to the GB and see all the postings on this one too.

#3 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:56 PM

Here's what they are going to do. You add yeast to the mash? https://www.foodnetw...cipe/index.htmlEdit: Oh, it's Alton Brown.

Edited by chuck_d, 23 April 2009 - 04:56 PM.

#4 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

Lots of stuff not right, he's taken heat for it too. But hey, if it gets a few more people brewing, that's great. I'll watch it for grins........

#5 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:00 PM

Here we go again. :PI actually brewed this beer per his procedures. Here's the report.

#6 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:25 PM

Here we go again. :PI actually brewed this beer per his procedures. Here's the report.

and I just don't like cascade.

BLASPHEMER!BrewBasser

#7 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10745 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 23 April 2009 - 05:26 PM

I always enjoy shows like this where you can spot many mistakes about something you know about because when I watch a similar show on a subject that I am just learning about I realize the just because it is on TV is isn't always right. If you want flawless advice on a subject you have to go to the internet.

#8 DubbelEntendre

DubbelEntendre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 310 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:12 PM

I always enjoy shows like this where you can spot many mistakes about something you know about because when I watch a similar show on a subject that I am just learning about I realize the just because it is on TV is isn't always right. If you want flawless advice on a subject you have to go to the internet wikipedia.

FTFY

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:16 PM

Only caught the last 5 minutes of it and I think I saw and heard a few things that made me cringe too, Oh well as they say not all shows are perfect.

#10 MyaCullen

MyaCullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68761 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:24 PM

BLASPHEMER!BrewBasser

the isn't the PH, blasphemy is apparantly OK here :smilielol:

#11 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:26 PM

Eh, it's a good show, not 100%, and none of his shows are to the subject expert. But it's a good 80% or better representation to get people inspired and started.

#12 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

I watched this episode for the first time, i did notice a FEW crucial mistakes. However, it would get a newby or two into the homebrew store. Hopefully ,they then stumble upon a good seasoned homebrewer at work whom can direct them in the right direction. The grains in the boiling water(without a hop sack) was quite an experiment, the extract added and then the gas flame turned to high until boiling scared me, then the yeast added at 87(eighty seven) i kid you not . Kind of scared the jeeves out of me .Reminded me of my newby days, hopefully it makes good beer for someone. Like he said at the end of the bottling process, one week is ok two weeks is better .You aren't kidding my friend. An experienced homebrewer that directed me in my early days said I quote" how do you expect to make good beer in less than five weeks, when it takes the BMC ( bud-miller-coors) crowd that long?"

Edited by Kegdude, 23 April 2009 - 07:52 PM.

#13 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:08 PM

It just came on here. I started counting errors, then just decided to sit back and watch the show.I like Alton, I think he just had some bad consultants.BrewBasser

#14 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:25 PM

OK, I just can't suffer the statement that yeast cannot eat disacharrides.What the hell is maltose Alton?That pretty much sucked.BrewBasser

#15 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:30 PM

OK, I just can't suffer the statement that yeast cannot eat disacharrides.What the hell is maltose Alton?That pretty much sucked.BrewBasser

Why it's just 2 glucoses, a monosaccharide of course. :smilielol:

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:38 PM

Not to mention that yeast can eat sucrose just fine thank you.I mean the other stuff was just stupid mistakes, nomonclature and such (calling straining your finished wort "sparging" for example), but this time he had the blackboard out and tried to get all scientific, and got it BRUTALLY wrong.The respectometer definately has gone down.BrewBasser

#17 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:54 PM

yes i admit the show pretty much made me cringe, however i hope it leads someone to the right path. Lots of mistakes , and clearly he overpowered his guide on this one.

#18 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48010 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:17 PM

Some of the Georgia brewers have said before that the LHBS he went to was really terrible, and in fact went out of business relatively soon after the show was produced. (It was from 2002.)So yeah, bad consultants.

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:21 PM

At least last night AB made a coq au vin that got me going. I cant imagine the professional chefs out there yelling the same thing- how he bastardized a time honored recipe, and they would have done this or that different. Love the show and every time this HB episode appears the same critiques come up, however he still makes a fermented barley product, and feels it is adequate. I hope the first time I try to make his coq au vin, it comes out like his.

#20 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:24 PM

At least last night AB made a coq au vin that got me going. I cant imagine the professional chefs out there yelling the same thing- how he bastardized a time honored recipe, and they would have done this or that different. Love the show and every time this HB episode appears the same critiques come up, however he still makes a fermented barley product, and feels it is adequate. I hope the first time I try to make his coq au vin, it comes out like his.

The brewing mistakes I can live with as they are very subject to interpretation.Biochemistry is biochemistry. No excuse for mucking that up.BrewBasser

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users