#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:00 PM

Yeah we used to have a postin the old hood but im not going back there .I have used chocolate, roasted barley,black patent in the past. I have not made a RED ale in about 2 years i see going through my recipe index. Also what is your favorite SRM for the color ? i think i used to target 12 SRM.

Edited by Kegdude, 23 April 2009 - 04:01 PM.

#2 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 23 April 2009 - 04:05 PM

This is something I'm also pursuing. The last time I shot for red using roasted barley and melanoiden, it turned out brownish.

#3 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:08 PM

Calling ken lenard..... ok post Home Run Red with pics plz.

#4 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 23 April 2009 - 07:56 PM

Scroll down to page two. Ken already posted the Red Lager/Ale and a nice pic too.

#5 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:01 PM

:smilielol: so he did. I didn't see that haha. Linky

Posted Image

Red.

#6 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:18 PM

Nice call, ET & ncbeerbrewer. This comes up from time to time and the first question is... do you want your RED beer to be 'roasty' or not? The beer in that pic has 8 oz of Crystal 120°L and 8 oz of Special B in it along with the base grains. No black malt, no RB, no chocolate. I don't like the overly roasty flavor you get when you use enough roasted barley to get the red color. With the crystal & Special B, you get a malty, caramelly base and then you can hop it however you like. The key to it, IMO is the Special B... it's really red. Cheers.

#7 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 23 April 2009 - 08:23 PM

george mahoney "mclovin" from the BB had a great recipe. Im drinking it all the time now that its on tap.here it ishttps://www.maltosef...es/20050802.php

Edited by CarlosM, 23 April 2009 - 08:24 PM.

#8 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:00 AM

one way to get a nice red ale is to find a squirrely little LHBS and see if they have a 1 kg can of Wheat LME on sale for $1 because it is 5 years old :smilielol: Then make a nice red wheat out of that...... worked for me :) nice and ruby red...

#9 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 06:04 AM

The bottom line should really be flavor, I suppose. I have been to brewpubs where the red ale was more amber/pale in color and had some roastiness to it. The Special B will give some people a raisiny flavor but I don't really taste that in this beer because of the hops & yeast. With some amount of crystal and maybe 2-3 ounces of roasted barley or 1-2 ounces of black malt, you can get a pretty red color. Many have mentioned CaraRed which is supposed to give a "deep, saturated color", which it does. But it's not really red or dark... it seems more like a Crystal 20°L to me and it probably would need to be darkened with something. Cheers.

#10 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:15 AM

I can attest to what Ken's saying here. You can get a red color a variety of ways, but each path to red will result in totally different flavor profiles. I like the special b and some other lighter specialty malts (20-30L) in the background in a Flanders Red. I did a red Saison with carafa that came out like a funky dubbel. I personally like some choc or roasted in an American Red because I want my red to have a noticeably different and roastier malt background than my amber. My American Red is basically my darkest hopped-up brew, because I like my stouts lower in IBU. The stats on my reds:Flanders Red 14.4 SRMAm. Red 16.4 SRMSaison Rouge 14.2 SRMAll SRM calcs from Promash FWIW

#11 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:40 AM

I have some special roast, melanoiden, carared and C120.Which would you pick/mix of that bunch?

#12 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:44 AM

I can attest to what Ken's saying here. You can get a red color a variety of ways, but each path to red will result in totally different flavor profiles. I like the special b and some other lighter specialty malts (20-30L) in the background in a Flanders Red. I did a red Saison with carafa that came out like a funky dubbel. I personally like some choc or roasted in an American Red because I want my red to have a noticeably different and roastier malt background than my amber. My American Red is basically my darkest hopped-up brew, because I like my stouts lower in IBU. The stats on my reds:Flanders Red 14.4 SRMAm. Red 16.4 SRMSaison Rouge 14.2 SRMAll SRM calcs from Promash FWIW

At a local brewpub here (Emmett's in Palatine), they have an "American Red" that they call "McCarthy" and an Irish Red that they call "Rafferty". The American is far cleaner and smoother. It still has a nice hop profile, but the beer is very clean. The Irish clearly has some roasted barley and possibly other roasted malts in it and some of the other local homebrewers and I were commenting on how it was "rough around the edges". Still a nice beer, but I'd rather have 5 gallons of the American version.MyBeerPants... Maybe 8 oz Crystal 120, 8 oz of CaraRed and an ounce of the Special Roast. Try plugging that into a calculator along with your base malts and see what the color says. Cheers.

#13 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 April 2009 - 09:50 AM

At a local brewpub here (Emmett's in Palatine), they have an "American Red" that they call "McCarthy" and an Irish Red that they call "Rafferty". The American is far cleaner and smoother. It still has a nice hop profile, but the beer is very clean. The Irish clearly has some roasted barley and possibly other roasted malts in it and some of the other local homebrewers and I were commenting on how it was "rough around the edges". Still a nice beer, but I'd rather have 5 gallons of the American version.MyBeerPants... Maybe 8 oz Crystal 120, 8 oz of CaraRed and an ounce of the Special Roast. Try plugging that into a calculator along with your base malts and see what the color says. Cheers.

I get an estimated 10.8SRM from the above amounts. Is that going to be dark enough?

#14 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 12:48 PM

I get an estimated 10.8SRM from the above amounts. Is that going to be dark enough?

Probably not. My HRRL comes in at 18. You probably don't want to go with more C120 because it will start to give the beer a "dried fruit" kind of flavor and more CaraRed probably won't do much. What are the color specs for Special Roast? I don't know if I've ever used it. You could continue to add more of that, but keep the flavor in mind. Cheers & good luck.

#15 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 24 April 2009 - 01:00 PM

Probably not. My HRRL comes in at 18. You probably don't want to go with more C120 because it will start to give the beer a "dried fruit" kind of flavor and more CaraRed probably won't do much. What are the color specs for Special Roast? I don't know if I've ever used it. You could continue to add more of that, but keep the flavor in mind. Cheers & good luck.

The specs I have say it's 50SRM. I may have to pick up some Special B instead.

#16 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 02:33 PM

The specs I have say it's 50SRM. I may have to pick up some Special B instead.

That would be best. Otherwise, you're just shooting in the dark on this one. I tried making a "red" beer when I first went AG and made a "pale red", an "amber red", a "not very red at all" and a "brown red". It was the C120 and Spec B that did it properly. Cheers.

#17 Jimmy James

Jimmy James

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 483 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:06 PM

Why not just bump up the C-120? Isn't C-120 and Special B more or less the same thing? If not I'd love to know the difference.

#18 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53518 posts

Posted 24 April 2009 - 08:40 PM

C120 won't make it red. It will make it more brown/amber, but not red. Special B is really red and has a color that is in the 140-155°L range. They also don't lend the exact same flavor. C120 is a dried fruit, caramelly flavor where Special B's flavor is a little more intense and raisiny (I realize a raisin is dried fruit, but it's hard to describe if you haven't used them). Anyway, using more C120 will make it a darker amber color, not red.

#19 Gumbo Leviathan

Gumbo Leviathan

Nutritional Anthropologist

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 35196 posts
  • LocationLocation Location

Posted 14 May 2009 - 10:08 AM

Looks like 8oz of C120 and 8oz of Special B makes for about 25 SRm. That seems too dark.4oz of each lands it around 18...

#20 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 14 May 2009 - 11:30 AM

Why not just bump up the C-120? Isn't C-120 and Special B more or less the same thing? If not I'd love to know the difference.

the special B I have is 220L Jimmy, whereas C120 is...uh 120.:covreyes:p.s. I have a red ale that came out around 25 SRM right now and nice n red. I'll put a pic up when I remember to...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users