#1 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:15 PM

My Double IPA was made on the 21st of january, tasted great when transferred to secondary(day 14 or 15)and this is what i found today.It was sitting in a bucket,with one ounce of pellet hops. The IBU's were 100 and dry hop was the same hops all fuggles. I pulled the dry hops out and racked it too a keg, carbonating now. I sterilized a screen and cleaned it out the best i could.Going to try it and see how it goes.Posted Image

#2 CaptRon

CaptRon

Comptroller of jokes about violence against women

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts
  • LocationRight behind you!

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:17 PM

My Double IPA was made on the 21st of january, tasted great when transferred to secondary(day 14 or 15)and this is what i found today.It was sitting in a bucket,with one ounce of pellet hops. The IBU's were 100 and dry hop was the same hops all fuggles. I pulled the dry hops out and racked it too a keg, carbonating now. I sterilized a screen and cleaned it out the best i could.Going to try it and see how it goes.Posted Image

I wonder if the oily look is actually hop oils? What about the white moldy looking areas though? That is what is catching my eye.

#3 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:18 PM

Maybe its eating the plastic bucket :rolf: , and will do the same to teeth enamel.My wife said it smelled like beer to her, but she doesn't have the sophisticated brewers sense of smell :rolf:

#4 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 04 March 2010 - 09:21 PM

I wonder if the oily look is actually hop oils? What about the white moldy looking areas though? That is what is catching my eye.

Yes i wondered too, I took the pic after i pulled the floating hop bag out . Strange though, about 60 degrees in my basement and that hopped environment.I am giving my brewing process more thought as far as having a keg open,etc,,,

#5 Hentai

Hentai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrookfield,IL

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:21 PM

Dude, that doesnt look good. Maybe its fine. But beer shouldnt look like that. If it were me most of my cold side soft (tubing) and especially hard plastic pieces (buckets, rack canes, etc) in my brewery would be gone. Along with that beer, I would taste it first... maybe.

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14742 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 March 2010 - 10:29 PM

Posted Image

Looks like the early formation of a pellicle to me??I once had something that looked like that. It was kind of a flaky white film/skin. I checked a sample from underneath and it was great. I kegged it an immediately took it to a party where it got drained.

#7 cavman

cavman

Comptroller of BigPossMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12937 posts
  • LocationSomerville, MA

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:28 PM

Dude, that doesnt look good. Maybe its fine. But beer shouldnt look like that. If it were me most of my cold side soft (tubing) and especially hard plastic pieces (buckets, rack canes, etc) in my brewery would be gone. Along with that beer, I would taste it first... maybe.

That would be a crazy overreaction. The oil could very well be from the hops, I've had similar oil slicks many times. The bubble formations aren't as common but not unheard of. Taste the beer and based on that decide what to do, I would be very surprised if the beer is bad. If it tastes fine rack it and drink it. :rolf:

#8 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 04 March 2010 - 11:47 PM

That would be a crazy overreaction.

Agreed. I wonder if Hentai has ever heard of RDWHAHB?? :rolf:

#9 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8257 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 05 March 2010 - 03:18 AM

Looks a bit like a pellicle, hmmm. Double IPA puts it at too high ABV for lacto production, could be a wild yeast of some sort. Doubtful its gram negative, you would have smelled dirty bar/vinegar coming off it. I say taste it and if it tastes fine then hey, you shouldn't have any problems killin that sumbitch :rolf: Give your bucket an extra good soak in starsan, throwing stuff out would be ridiculous.

#10 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9735 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 05 March 2010 - 07:58 AM

Ok everybody just take a deep breath and have a beer. :rolf: I agree that that could look suspicious, I have had sheens and white spots and other things that looked equally as scary and everything came out fine. Just give it some time. If its a pellicle, it will be unmistakable before too long. There is also a good chance this will go away/settle/whatever.I say just let it ride for another week or two and see where it goes before even considering intervention. Even if it does look like a pellicle forming, a quick and careful rack to a keg, chilling, carbing, and dringking will make it a non-issue.

#11 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:03 AM

Looks a bit like a pellicle, hmmm. Double IPA puts it at too high ABV for lacto production, could be a wild yeast of some sort. Doubtful its gram negative, you would have smelled dirty bar/vinegar coming off it. I say taste it and if it tastes fine then hey, you shouldn't have any problems killin that sumbitch :rolf: Give your bucket an extra good soak in starsan, throwing stuff out would be ridiculous.

I called out someone at another "unspecified color" board when he said he got rid of his plastic fermenters after 2 or 3 uses because even the slightest touch from a feather would scratch it. It does look odd... but it IS a double IPA, so there should be plenty of hop oils in it, which may account for the slick. I'm also assuming that given the OP is Kegdude, that he's actually kegging and can get this chilled to stop whatever it is. As an experiment, I might want to bottle a couple of these just to see what they do in the long term. Know what I mean?

#12 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 05 March 2010 - 09:08 AM

I pulled the dry hops out and racked it too a keg, carbonating now.

Sounds to me from the OP, there is no monitoring or riding it out, its kegged getting ready to serve. I like the idea, as long as it tastes OK, forget you ever saw it, and clean your equipt good- and move on.

#13 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 05 March 2010 - 10:15 AM

Latest incarnation of "Is my beer ruined" thread.keg it, drink it.If it has a slight funky edge, drink faster.

#14 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:32 PM

Latest incarnation of "Is my beer ruined" thread.keg it, drink it.If it has a slight funky edge, drink faster.

This. It does look a little funky.

#15 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 12:53 PM

Definitely looks infected. Resembles some of my 'wild' beers. Drink up fast, hopefully it is somewhat drinkable.But more importantly, you should closely examine your cleaning and sanitation practices.

#16 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:30 PM

Definitely need to pull a small amount out and give it a small taste to see if it is funkdafied or not.

#17 Hentai

Hentai

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts
  • LocationBrookfield,IL

Posted 05 March 2010 - 01:34 PM

That would be a crazy overreaction.

Agreed. I wonder if Hentai has ever heard of RDWHAHB?? :rolf:

Touche.Still gross though.

#18 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:02 PM

Touche.Still gross though.

Yeah, maybe the first millimeter. The other 20 inches under that might be just fine though. :rolf:

#19 earthtone

earthtone

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • LocationHalifax

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:13 PM

I have totally racked out a heavily infected brew from under the surface crust and drank the entire batch mmmmmmmm wild flavour contributions. Haha actually there's only been one batch bad enough to pitch the whole thing, and only 2 others with questionable looking surfaces like this one. Both the questionable ones tasted totally fine despite my strong suspicions that some tiny critters were trying to drink my beer on me!!!

#20 CaptRon

CaptRon

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31546 posts

Posted 05 March 2010 - 02:26 PM

I have totally racked out a heavily infected brew from under the surface crust and drank the entire batch mmmmmmmm wild flavour contributions. Haha actually there's only been one batch bad enough to pitch the whole thing, and only 2 others with questionable looking surfaces like this one. Both the questionable ones tasted totally fine despite my strong suspicions that some tiny critters were trying to drink my beer on me!!!

I've only had one that wasn't good that I gave to my buddy to run through his still.. :rolf:One other that was not real good, but drinkable. :rolf:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users