32 replies to this topic

#1 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:47 PM

In fact it's fairly rare to even see a German style at most brewpubs. Most brewpubs seem to focus on the major American and British styles. Some throw a couple of Belgians in there for good measure.I really like German styles. I know they generally aren't the most xtreme™ but they are solid styles that are delicious. I'd def go to a place that focused on the German and threw in some good German food to go with it.[mod edit] Title changed to provide more information about the topic.

#2 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:49 PM

Cause they usually have limited capacity and you can turn ales over much faster than lagers....

#3 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:50 PM

...that focus mostly on German beer? In fact it's fairly rare to even see a German style at most brewpubs. Most brewpubs seem to focus on the major American and British styles. Some throw a couple of Belgians in there for good measure.I really like German styles. I know they generally aren't the most xtreme™ but they are solid styles that are delicious. I'd def go to a place that focused on the German and threw in some good German food to go with it.

Absolutely this. Pet peeve of mine actually. We have a beer bar here that has over 120 beers, guess how many are German... about 7. Mostly weizens too which is the ONE German style I don't like that I've had. Grumble grumble grumble.

#4 Humperdink

Humperdink

Cose

• In Memorium
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15798 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:52 PM

Cause they usually have limited capacity and you can turn ales over much faster than lagers....

German Ales would need to be a staple.

#5 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2010 - 02:57 PM

The Reinheitsgebot limits them pretty severely compared to anywhere else but I will say from my time in Germany the beers they make in even the little pubs in every town are amazing. They may be limited in styles but what they do they do incredibly well. It would be interesting to see someone try and make a go of it but I'd think the limited diversity would kill it. Kinda like an British restaurant.

#6 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

Although I haven't yet visited, I know of Gordon Biersch. https://www.gordonbiersch.com/I believe their focus is lagers, and German beers in particular.

#7 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 February 2010 - 03:03 PM

I always thought about this thinking about opening up my own brewpub...My last name means Small Guard maybe I could call it that...

#8 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:05 PM

actually to contrast this discussion what percent of homebrewers specialize or even ever brew a true lager?That likely again comes down to equipment. Many people do not even control fermentation temps let alone have a lagering fridge.

#9 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

I enjoy brewing lagers and love German styles the most too. I am thinking/planning of opening a microbrewery here and this focus and theme has crossed my mind too. Here is a NC brewery that focuses on German beers and they are really good too.Old MeckI agree there needs to be more themed breweries like this too. Cheers

#10 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:31 PM

I'm with you on this one, Zym. Most American brewpubs are only into ultra-hoppy, High ABV beers or Belgians it seems like. You may see a place with a huge Doppelbock or something, but it's rare. And I don't know about you, but I don't see a lot of nice English Ales at my brewpubs either. I love German beers and English ales and thought that I should open a brewpub called Fritz Churchill's or Winston Von Weinerschnitzel's or something. Alts, Kolsches, Festbiers, Helles, Bocks, Viennas, English Bitters, EPAs, Northern Browns, etc.Most of these micros and brewpubs just seem to want to out-hop or out-ABV the other guys. 2¢.

#11 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 19 February 2010 - 04:48 PM

Penn Brewing in Pittsburgh has been brewing German lagers for over 20 years.https://www.pennbrew.com/ :)

#12 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47992 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:42 PM

Like everyone has said, time and extra energy is probably the biggest issue.

#13 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:51 PM

Penn Brewing in Pittsburgh has been brewing German lagers for over 20 years.https://www.pennbrew.com/ :)

As a case and point Penn brewery is one of my all time favorites. Its one of the places I miss and a beer I always get when I'm back in the Burgh. They definitely make some phenomenal German style beers.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:38 PM

There are German themed brewpubs around, just not very many and it's variable with region. The Northeast is pretty thin on German immigrants so there aren't many around.Gardner Ale House, down the road from me, does a Pils, Vienna, Kolsch, Alt, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest and Hefe, plus the standard American/Brit offerings. They even close down the street outside the brewery for an Oktoberfest celebration.

Edited by JKoravos, 19 February 2010 - 06:47 PM.

#15 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10741 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

There are German themed brewpubs around, just not very many and it's variable with region. The Northeast is pretty thin on German immigrants so there aren't many around.

Actually the Pennsylvania Dutch are German immigrants, they just ain't that into making beer :)

#16 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 19 February 2010 - 06:57 PM

I haven't been there in a while but Morgan Street Brewery in STL has quite a few Gr. lagers.

#17 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

Like everyone has said, time and extra energy is probably the biggest issue.

That's really for the lagers but honestly you just need an extra lagering tank or two to keep some lagers around. Make the other stuff ales and you are good to go.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:33 PM

There are German themed brewpubs around, just not very many and it's variable with region. The Northeast is pretty thin on German immigrants so there aren't many around.Gardner Ale House, down the road from me, does a Pils, Vienna, Kolsch, Alt, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest and Hefe, plus the standard American/Brit offerings. They even close down the street outside the brewery for an Oktoberfest celebration.

How are the beers?

#19 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54161 posts

Posted 19 February 2010 - 07:57 PM

Gardner Ale House, down the road from me, does a Pils, Vienna, Kolsch, Alt, Doppelbock, Oktoberfest and Hefe, plus the standard American/Brit offerings. They even close down the street outside the brewery for an Oktoberfest celebration.

See, that's what you need right there. A good local brewery that makes fresh German beer... then close down the street, get some grills going and some picnic tables down & get the beer flowing. Then the band takes the stage and the waitresses with the skimpy outfits come by and Whoa, whoa, whoa! What was the question again?

#20 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64102 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 20 February 2010 - 08:17 AM

How are the beers?

Decent, I've only been there twice and I haven't had all the offerings yet, but thus far it's been a positive impression. I'm not a bar guy, but they do also have some pretty darn good food.

See, that's what you need right there. A good local brewery that makes fresh German beer... then close down the street, get some grills going and some picnic tables down & get the beer flowing. Then the band takes the stage and the waitresses with the skimpy outfits come by and Whoa, whoa, whoa! What was the question again?

I think he was asking, why isn't there more of this:Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users