16 replies to this topic

#1 wengared

wengared

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:40 PM

Thanks for setting this board up, I'm going all grain next month and trust the people here who left the BB for answers. really tempted to do liquid stupid first, even if i screw up a little, who would know with that recipe. :lol:

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 25 March 2009 - 05:50 PM

Thanks for setting this board up, I'm going all grain next month and trust the people here who left the BB for answers. really tempted to do liquid stupid first, even if i screw up a little, who would know with that recipe. :lol:

Welcome. I hope this forum is as useful to you when you go AG as the Brewboard was to me when I did. I probably never would have done it if not for the great help and encouragement I received there. I'm not sure I'd go with LS right off the bat though. Even though nobody else would know you screwed up, you probably would. I'd go with a med. dark pale ale of some sort. Jamil's Special Bitter would be a good one to start with. Other options would be a good malty beer like a brown ale or a porter.

#3 pods8

pods8

Grand Duke of Near Misses

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 28437 posts
  • LocationThornton, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:17 PM

My fist AG was a barley wine, I say go for whatever! I just rebrewed that recipe again the other weekend, retro baby. The first time it got great reviews so we'll see...

#4 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:21 PM

I agree, that's a BIG'un to go for the first AG attempt. However if you're set on it I'm brewing Liquid Stupid next weekend (first weekend in April) so if you want to give it a shot I'll at least be able to compare notes as mine comes around.

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:31 PM

Liquid stupid? Clue me in.

#6 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:34 PM

Liquid stupid? Clue me in.

a recipe from 'back in the day'. A trippel with a 3lb honey addition. OG around 1.09 that after a years aging becomes quite deceptive :lol:

#7 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:41 PM

So... a braggot? Or nearly so?Hmmmmm........

#8 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:46 PM

So... a braggot? Or nearly so?Hmmmmm........

I presume it's for public consumption so... Grain:13# Ida Pils3# orange blossom honey1# Clear Belgian candi sugar (sugar1# Honey malt.5# carapilssingle infusion mash at 150 degrees for 1 hourhops:2 oz hallertauer 60 min =26 ibu'sspices: 1.5oz. orange peel1.25oz. corriander.5oz. Ginger rootIrish mossspices and moss added in the last 15 minutes of the boilAdd honey in while chilling at 180 degree mark (very important)Yeast is wyeast 3787

#9 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:50 PM

Hmmmmm.....*adds it to the list*What OG does that thing hit?

#10 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 06:54 PM

Hmmmmm.....*adds it to the list*What OG does that thing hit?

using promash and 75% efficiency it says 1.114. I think I know where the stupid part comes into play.

#11 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:17 PM

Bah, I just finished my pint of 1.140 cyser. I need more. :lol:Edit: Seriously though, a braggot I did a couple years ago is one of the best meads I've ever made. This is definitely intriguing to me.

#12 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:23 PM

Bah, I just finished my pint of 1.140 cyser. I need more. :lol:Edit: Seriously though, a braggot I did a couple years ago is one of the best meads I've ever made. This is definitely intriguing to me.

A braggot is on my to do list and is a style I don't see many people doing. If you're willing to share some ideas on where to start I'd be interested in getting that going myself!

#13 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:43 PM

A braggot is on my to do list and is a style I don't see many people doing. If you're willing to share some ideas on where to start I'd be interested in getting that going myself!

The one I made was straight out of Ken Schramm's book. I hadn't gotten into all grain beer at that point, so I did the sparge with grains in a cheesecloth and colander. :lol: Still, it turned out great. I can hunt down the recipe if you want.Making beer is a lot harder than making mead. Not that beer is all that hard, but you know what I mean. If you can make good beer, you make easily make good braggot.

#14 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 07:49 PM

The one I made was straight out of Ken Schramm's book. I hadn't gotten into all grain beer at that point, so I did the sparge with grains in a cheesecloth and colander. :lol: Still, it turned out great. I can hunt down the recipe if you want.Making beer is a lot harder than making mead. Not that beer is all that hard, but you know what I mean. If you can make good beer, you make easily make good braggot.

Complete Mead Maker? I've got the book. I saw the recipe but didn't know if it was one worth the wait. I'll have to give it a shot. Need to make another Fall bounty Cyser as well!

#15 ScottS

ScottS

Lord and Master

• King of the Chickens
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17487 posts
  • LocationMy lawn

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:01 PM

Complete Mead Maker? I've got the book. I saw the recipe but didn't know if it was one worth the wait. I'll have to give it a shot. Need to make another Fall bounty Cyser as well!

Yeah, that one. I did the recipe that's in the text as opposed to the one in the back. Can't remember the name at the moment.My version of falls bounty is what I'm drinking now. :love:

#16 BuxomBrewster

BuxomBrewster

Snow White

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 8765 posts

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:21 PM

Mmmm...cyser. Now cyser, pork steaks, curry, apricots...

#17 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1499 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 25 March 2009 - 08:25 PM

Mmmm...cyser. Now cyser, pork steaks, curry, apricots...

Funny you should mention. I was drinking my fall bounty cyser once while cooking some boneless pork chops. I threw a splash in to deglaze the pan and scrape up the burnt on bits and WOW. Got lots of compliments on my glaze that night!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users