#1 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:52 PM

So I brewed a RIS to 1.100 on Jan 8, pitched 2 packs of rehydrated and foamy S-04 (for 5 gallon) Ripped through primary and krausen dropped within 5 days. I checked the gravity at 2 weeks in, and I was at .038. Put a heat belt on it, and swirled to rouse yeast for a couple days, checked today week and a half later, still .038. I usually get attenuation in the 70s and I think it should get under .030, but hasnt. telling me my yeast is all done, or my wort was low in fermentables. I did use 3# of DME and 4# of coen sugar (for 12 gallon batch- my buddy takes half home, his is at .040), and mashed at 152. Sounded to me like it wasnt too dextrinous. So I am thinking my options are:1. Leave it the way it is, borderline cloying, but real big and chewy2. Rehydrate and pitch 2 more packs of S-04, will it last in the alcohol? just over 8% right now. 3. krausen with some actively fermenting amber that has been fermenting since friday also with S-04. krausen dropped today, but it is still real active. If so how much? I dont really want to rob too much from the amber to accomplish this, is a quart enough to rekick the RIS into gear?

#2 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:37 PM

My experience with S-04 has been around 65%, so your FG is there. Fermentis calls S-04 (&S-05) as "medium" attenuation, but my experience has 05 finishing lower. In fact 05 tends to chew thru the sugars.Maybe try some 05 rather than more 04.

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10726 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:12 PM

I don't believe adding more of the same yeast is going to help. I think your flavor profile from the yeast is pretty well set, I would recommend using some high alcohol tolerence yeast to finish the job. You may also be correct that if you have excessive non-fermentables in the wort no yeast is going to help you with that.

#4 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 01 February 2010 - 05:57 PM

S-05 or Champagne yeast should take you down

#5 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25582 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 05 February 2010 - 08:24 AM

S-05 or Champagne yeast should take you down

I suggest you go with S-05 over champagne yeast. champagne might work too good and dry out your stout) Use Go-Ferm when you re-hydrate.

#6 beerbaron

beerbaron

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 77 posts
  • LocationNorthern Colorado

Posted 05 February 2010 - 09:49 AM

come blend it with my RIS that finished too dry

#7 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 10:06 AM

come blend it with my RIS that finished too dry

heh, not a bad idea! I went with the us-05, I'll check gravity next week hoping I can squeeze something out, but I figure I will oak this batch now, hadnt planned on it originally, but oak seems to add another layer of almost astringent dryness, maybe it will mask anything cloying.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25582 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:53 PM

I brewed a Baltic Porter, a cousin to the RIS.I had a chance to measure it this morning. OG was 1.100 and finished 1.030. It tastes great. Do not be afraid to let your taste buds direct this beer. I use my hydrometer and refractometer regularly. If my mouth says it tastes good and the hydrometer says tries to tell me otherwise, I go with the flavor.zymot

#9 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 05 February 2010 - 02:44 PM

How much 05 did you pitch? It may take several packs.

#10 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 04:11 PM

Also it may take getting the yeast active first before adding it to the beer. Not by rehydrating only, but by making a small starter (pint should do it) and pitching that into the RIS when it's at high krausen.With a high alcohol and low pH environment, the yeast might need some help getting started.

#11 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:07 PM

How much 05 did you pitch? It may take several packs.

I only had 1 pack, and I rehdrated at 90 deg, got some good blooming foam. I really would love the 10 pts, but even just 4-5 may make all the difference in the world. And I think the oak may scrub some of the sweetness off as well, so this may actually be a good marriage- because my oaked beers are usually a tad dry after aging a year, this may add the deep complexity and residual I need to survive the lay down.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users