Photo
- - - - -

Well it's official! I'm a member of the club.

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts
  • LocationMidland, Texas USA

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:22 PM

:) :covreyes: Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!Waaaaaahhh..........Posted ImagePosted ImageNow, excuse me while I wander over to the "Who's Brewin' This Weekend" thread.....

#2 *_Guest_sdeweese_*

*_Guest_sdeweese_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

:) :covreyes: Waaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!! WWWWWWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!Waaaaaahhh..........Posted ImagePosted ImageNow, excuse me while I wander over to the "Who's Brewin' This Weekend" thread.....

Man, that's a crime scene. Dare I ask for details?

#3 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10745 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:31 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Just for the records and you recap the whole thing. Did it fall off the chair?

#4 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 05:47 PM

I'm sorry for your loss. Just for the records and you recap the whole thing. Did it fall off the chair?

No, I was moving it from the chair to the floor, and it was just the right angle, that when it touched the floor (concrete) the bottom just went through. The siphoning hose is still in the neck in the picture. That's some nasty looking glass. I sure wouldn't want to be around a dropped one.

#5 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10745 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:34 PM

ugh... well glad to see you weren't hurt. I occasionally transfer in my garage. I always use a plastic party tub to hold the carboy. When I'm on a cement floor I have an old thick blanket I always put down so it isn't glass against cement. I was really more concerned about scratching the glass than breaking it, but I will continue to shield my carboy in the future based on your experience.Glad to see in the who's brewing thread that you are jumping right back in.

#6 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 30 December 2009 - 06:54 PM

get better bottles, that is all

#7 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:05 PM

Yikes. Good to see that you were not hurt. I understand the frustration in that happening but its great that you are getting right back to it too. I had a buddy last year on his first brew solo did that and lost a batch as well. Plastic is the way to go. Hope the clean up went good. Are you reflooring your house too?

#8 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 30 December 2009 - 07:25 PM

That is painful to look at. Glad you got away without getting hurt. I like my glass carboys but worry about this every time I use them.

#9 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 30 December 2009 - 08:04 PM

I also worry, But I always use a milk crate for holding my carboy. I have had some scares while cleaning it though...

#10 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 30 December 2009 - 09:17 PM

I also worry, But I always use a milk crate for holding my carboy. I have had some scares while cleaning it though...

ThisThank goodness you were not hurt.

#11 LilSmokey

LilSmokey

Master of TL;DR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3249 posts
  • Locationthe SWATS!

Posted 31 December 2009 - 03:40 AM

get better bottles, that is all

For the few advantages of glass, I switched over after seeing some pics of broken carboys. The first thing that went through my head was thoughts of a slip and fall into that mess :) I like beer, but I don't want to face serious injury over it. I get cut by beer related glass I want it to be a bottle smashed over my head in a bar fight or drunkenly falling through a plate glass windows like normal people.

#12 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:28 AM

Note the sequence of events here.1. he broke the carboy.2. He ran for the wet vac.3. He took a photo.4. THEN he cleaned up.Al_Bob, thanks for taking the time to document your loss and sharing your pain.Dang, It looked like a stout too.

#13 BarelyBrews

BarelyBrews

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1631 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 31 December 2009 - 06:55 AM

I also use a nice plastic crate i have, those chunks of glass look scary.

#14 RommelMagic

RommelMagic

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  • LocationHighland Falls, NY

Posted 31 December 2009 - 07:15 AM

Wow, that does really suck. But to repeat, it's good to hear you got away from the experience without injury. I too worry about something like this occurring. I don't use a milk crate, but I do use Brew Haulers. I like the glass carboys better simply 'cause it is glass, but I also have a couple Better Bottles. They aren't as much of a work out.

I have not had this happen to me yet, but it is the reason I am moving over to using cornies for secondary. That and cornies are way cheaper.

Cornies are "way cheaper"?!?! Where?

#15 jasonrobertcohen

jasonrobertcohen

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:43 AM

al_bob, you are very lucky to come out of this unscathed. I broke one while cleaning it and was just as lucky.Public Service Announcement: Carboys are heavy, even while empty. If you tilt one on your knee, make sure you have your bottom hand on the far side of the carboy, not the short side. They tend to roll themselves right off your knee.jrc

#16 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 08:55 AM

Note the sequence of events here.1. he broke the carboy.2. He ran for the wet vac.3. He took a photo.4. THEN he cleaned up.Al_Bob, thanks for taking the time to document your loss and sharing your pain.Dang, It looked like a stout too.

Ha.. we are a sorted bunch, huh? But, yes you got the sequence right.And, yes, it was a silky smooth 8.5% Imperial stout. One of the best tasting beers I'd done in a while (obviously, since it went on the floor).

#17 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:03 AM

Are you reflooring your house too?

No, this is actually in the building I've been re-modeling for a brewery to move in. Good People Brewing Co. They've outgrown their original space.We did stip the floor back down to the concrete and had them stained. Maybe it was curse because I actually brewed the first beer in the building. Maybe I should have let the brewmaster go first.... :)

#18 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:04 AM

I'm glad you are safe.I'm also glad I don't use glass carboys for this very reason, irregardless of whether I'm injured.

#19 al_bob

al_bob

Bamahout

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11032 posts

Posted 31 December 2009 - 09:41 AM

I'm glad you are safe.I'm also glad I don't use glass carboys for this very reason, irregardless of whether I'm injured.

This was one of the original 2 I bought when I first started brewing 4 years ago. I may very well go to something different now that I have to replace it.

#20 Deerslyr

Deerslyr

Disliker of Nut Kicking

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23807 posts
  • LocationGod's Country!

Posted 31 December 2009 - 10:13 AM

This was one of the original 2 I bought when I first started brewing 4 years ago. I may very well go to something different now that I have to replace it.

When I secondary, I use a keg. Might pick up a couple more. I'm also interested in getting a keg lid with an airlock on it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users