#1 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 26 March 2009 - 09:04 PM

My friend had this stuff in Germany, you know, in Leipzig, and thought it was interesting although it wasn't really his thing. I am drinking a bottle of it now and I gotta say I kind of like the stuff. I'm an addict of Gueuze though. When he first told me about it, he was like, it's brewed with salt and so it's a little sour. I laughed cuz, pretty much all beer is brewed salt (well, when you're adjusting a mash, I guess I never really did it much with extract brewing). Reading up on it before drinking I read that MJ had suggested once that they use lactobacillus to get the sour flavor they were shooting for and the brewers took his suggestion to heart. But right there on the bottle, it reads "Salt" as an ingredient. I assume this most likely means NaCl, but honestly the stuff doesn't taste salty to me. Has anyone else had this stuff and tasted it as salty? I generally don't like salty things (some canned soups are the worst!), but still I don't notice it.Sidenote: One time my friend and I were in bar pregaming it with some beers and uni and this guy at the end of the bar took a salt shaker and was pouring the stuff into his Corona. He wanted so much he actually had to ask the bartender for another salt shaker. :)

#2 Brian72

Brian72

Peter Freer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 42070 posts
  • LocationYour mom

Posted 26 March 2009 - 10:12 PM

Sidenote: One time my friend and I were in bar pregaming it with some beers and uni and this guy at the end of the bar took a salt shaker and was pouring the stuff into his Corona. He wanted so much he actually had to ask the bartender for another salt shaker. :)

If Im drinking BMC I salt it. For some reason to me it tastes better when I do. I got it from my dad who always salted his beers, Now that I think of it around here I seemes to have noticed alot of the older crowd doing it. If you try it dont use too much becuase it will foam all over, just a couple shakes will do ya.

#3 Buscotucky

Buscotucky

Comptroller of Lips and Smooching

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3605 posts

Posted 27 March 2009 - 05:33 AM

There was an article on it in either byo or zymurgy a few years back (as well as a couple of paragraphs in Randy Moshers' book as well) on the stuff. iirc, the commercial versions had died out, but the style had been revived...probably the one you had (I think I tried it as well several years ago). From the original descriptions, I think the new version isn't nearly as salty as the originals.I brewed a couple of versions - the recipe from the magazine called for way too much salt - I had to make a second batch (w/o salt) to blend to make it drinkable...still have a carboy souring. May have to keg it & see what it's turned into.Weird stuff - coriander, souring bacteria, salt, wheat...

#4 Doc

Doc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:06 PM

I have had a couple of cracks at brewing Gose. The first was from a magazine article and tasted like sea water. One of the few beers I've every had to tip.The second time I did a lot of research on it and brewed a great one. It was a hit.I'll be brewing it again in time for Summer (down under eg. December). The ideaThe updateAlmost the endThe upshot was it a really refreshing beer, with hits of passionfruit.I'm still keen to try an authentic one, and although I'm heading back to Europe later in the year, I'm sure I won't find a Gose in Belgium or France.Doc

#5 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 03 April 2009 - 10:14 PM

Right on! The update has a ton of reading material for me. Thanks. When you say hints of passionfruit, where did that come from? Did you add any passionfruit? I had a bottle of Grey Lady from Cisco Brewing recently and it has me thinking about brewing something with tropical fruits.

#6 Doc

Doc

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm thinking it was all yeast driven.The yeast was a bit stressed due to the pH level, and I had to re-pitch.Next time I'd do a much bigger yeast pitch.Doc

#7 *_Guest_hophead_*

*_Guest_hophead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 04:58 PM

I've brewed the Gose style for quite some time...a seasonal brew now. First time was the BYO recipe which called for a ridiculous amount of salt. Mosher's recipe has far too small amount. I doubt anyone could taste a tsp in 5 gallons as he recommends. We settled on 1 oz for 5 gallons along with .75 oz of coriander. The best version we've brewed was with Wyeast VSS 3191 strain. The key was keeping the IBU's under 10. We went for 8. We still add a lb of acidulated malt to help with the tartness...As a friend told me, it's the ultimate lawnmower beer.

#8 chuck_d

chuck_d

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1022 posts
  • LocationAtlanta, GA

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:11 PM

Yeah, I'm really into tart beers right now. My friend doesn't realize what he's done. He didn't even want to split the bottle with me he didn't like it enough, and now I'm might brew up a batch of it. I want a bunch of different summer styles this year. I assume that when people are adding salt they look for stuff that is pure NaCl to add, some kind of kosher salt perhaps. Not the iodized stuff. I still don't think I could even taste the salt in the Leipziger, but maybe it just helps with round out the flavor.

#9 *_Guest_hophead_*

*_Guest_hophead_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2009 - 05:47 PM

I use either kosher or non-iodized sea salt. I only get a hint of salt taste with 1 oz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users