#1 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:50 AM

20.00 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt info2.0 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L info1.75 lbs. English Wheat Malt info1.0 oz. Columbus (Whole, 15 %AA) boiled 60 min. info1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 15 min. info1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 1 min. infoYeast : WYeast 1056 American AleMash @151 Df.

#2 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 09:57 AM

20.00 lbs. 2-Row Brewers Malt info 2.0 lbs. 2-Row Caramel Malt 60L info 1.75 lbs. English Wheat Malt info 1.0 oz. Columbus (Whole, 15 %AA) boiled 60 min. info 1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 15 min. info 1.00 oz. Cascade (Pellets, 5.5 %AA) boiled 1 min. info Yeast : WYeast 1056 American Ale Mash @151 Df.

not enough hops IMO (I put more hops in 5 gallon batches and people still tell me I don't put enough in, j/k JK :D ). what size batch are we dealing with?

#3 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

10 gallons.I will up the Columbus to 2 oz.

#4 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:25 AM

10 gallons. I will up the Columbus to 2 oz.

What do you calculate the IBUs to be with what you've got going there? I'd think you'd want to up the end of the boil hops as well but that's just me.

#5 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

With the 1 oz, I'm looking at 36.2 IBUsIf I add the second oz of Columbus I'm looking at 40.0 or so.

#6 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:58 AM

I put your recipe for 10 gallons into Beersmith just now and based on your original post your SG is projected at 75% eff to be 1.065. You IBU's are only 27.5 which 40 is the lowest for an American IPA so in my opinion was too low. If you change the Columbus at 60 mins to 2oz then you are up to 50 IBU'sI would make that change and double the Cascade at both the 15 and 1 min mark. Then your projected IBU's are at 55 according to my calculations. Just some ideas to let you know what ballpark you are in.I think your grain bill looks good but I would up the hops all around if it were me.

#7 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:05 AM

You're going to want to add WAAAAAAAY more late addition hops than 2 oz in 10 gallons. Right now it's like an underhopped APA.I would plan on 8-10 oz at least between 20 min and dry hop.

#8 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

You're going to want to add WAAAAAAAY more late addition hops than 2 oz in 10 gallons. Right now it's like an underhopped APA. I would plan on 8-10 oz at least between 20 min and dry hop.

BAM! HOPPIST! wait, what? :D

#9 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:01 PM

I'm doubling all the hops.2.0 oz Columbus for 602.0 oz Cascade for 152.0 oz Cascade for 1BTW, this is the last of the Columbus I have.

Edited by DuncanDad, 27 December 2009 - 12:01 PM.

#10 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:02 PM

I'm doubling all the hops. 2.0 oz Columbus for 60 2.0 oz Cascade for 15 2.0 oz Cascade for 1

how about a dry hop as well? :D just for ref: check out my 5 gallon recipe: My link Next time I make this I plan on either dry hopping it or adding more late addition hops (I'm not kidding).

#11 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

I'm going for a Long Hammer Clone.According to the Red Hook site, LH is 49 IBUs

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

I'm going for a Long Hammer Clone. According to the Red Hook site, LH is 49 IBUs

Interesting - last I had it I thought it was more bitter than that but maybe not. I actually don't like that beer very much so I'm not a good judge although on cask it's pretty good. not sure what gives there - maybe they carb it too much.

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:43 PM

From the Red Hook Website:Style: India Pale AleABV: 6.5%Malts: Pale, Caramel, MunichHops: Alchemy, Cascade, WillametteColor SRM: 8.5Bitterness Units: 44.0 IBUOriginal Gravity: 14.40 degrees plato

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:46 PM

From the Red Hook Website: Style: India Pale Ale ABV: 6.5% Malts: Pale, Caramel, Munich Hops: Alchemy, Cascade, Willamette Color SRM: 8.5 Bitterness Units: 44.0 IBU Original Gravity: 14.40 degrees plato

I think different hops give a different perceived bitterness and maybe that's part of it. I use magnum (A LOT!) and it's really smooth so I can really push the IBUs up and I don't get anything unpleasant. I think for an AIPA I'd like the IBUs to be at least around 60 IBU or greater.

#15 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 29 December 2009 - 10:40 AM

From the Red Hook Website: Style: India Pale Ale ABV: 6.5% Malts: Pale, Caramel, Munich Hops: Alchemy, Cascade, Willamette Color SRM: 8.5 Bitterness Units: 44.0 IBU Original Gravity: 14.40 degrees plato

One thing I would strongly point out, is that is a 14.4P OG, or 1.058, and the ABV is 6.5%. Which means this beer needs to finish at 1.008 to achieve this. That is 86% attenuation. 1. That is probably why the the hop presence is so forward with only 44 IBU. 2. This needs to be produced with an extremely fermentable wort, so I would think a low mash temp for an IPA would be used no higher than 150 3. Crystal malt lends to a higher OG, I would think about cutting that back to .5# or so. 4. Redhook probably wouldnt list adjunct sugar as an ingredient, but I bet subbing in 2# or so of cane or corn sugar would also help to achieve this. I put 4 # in my 12 gallon batches of DIPA, and I usually get a 1.080 wort down to 1.015. Not saying the original recipe will not make a delicious beer, but if LH is the target, then I think it would need to be brewed with the end result in mind. Which IMHO is an APA, just barely reaching minimum standards for an IPA at 44 IBU (range of 40-70IBU) I had this beer only at the golf course on tap, and was surprized at how hoppy it was, so I think my theory of a low FG has some validity. (?)

#16 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:28 AM

I had this beer only at the golf course on tap, and was surprized at how hoppy it was, so I think my theory of a low FG has some validity. (?)

That would kind of make sense. That might actually be what I don't like about it. Maybe a little too dry for me.

#17 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21377 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:08 AM

I tapped the first keg of this last night.Definitely needs more hops. It's good and nicely balanced but it could stand more hops for an IPA or APA.

#18 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 06:43 AM

I tapped the first keg of this last night. Definitely needs more hops. It's good and nicely balanced but it could stand more hops for an IPA or APA.

as long as we aren't talking about bitterness level you could always dry hop it in the keg :lol:

#19 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 13 January 2010 - 09:56 AM

wow what are alchemy hops?

#20 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 13 January 2010 - 07:37 PM

wow what are alchemy hops?

DBS. I found this information as I was not familiar with Alchemy hops either. Here is what I found I was looking at the Widmer website and noticed that they use "Alchemy hops". I emailed them about that hop variety and here is what they said. Just thought I would share the knowledge. "Alchemy hops are not a single variety, but rather several different varieties custom blended and packaged specifically for Widmer.* Currently the blend is combination of Warrior and Millennium, though in past years it's also included a small percentage of Horizon hops as well (the acreage for Horizon has been declining the last several years, and with it the quality of selection)* **All three varieties are high alpha, low cohumulone cultivars. **Unfortunately, I can’t give you more details about the current mix because the actual percentages of Alchemy is proprietary.* To ensure against crop failure situations there is a good chance we will look to add another hop to the blend if the Horizon crop doesn't rebound, but at this point it’s hard to say what that variety it will be or at what inclusion percentage.*" "We call it Alchemy because on an annual basis we look at the quality of the crop and try to mix those elements together to make the golden hop.** In addition, we hand select our hops each year at harvest time to ensure we get the very best that's available.* Alchemy is used as the bittering hop in all Widmer products and it’s been a very successful hop (s) for us." Link

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users