20 replies to this topic

#1 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 06:28 PM

So I got my hands on a bourbon barrel (Jim Beam) and will probably be brewing the batch in the late winter/early spring if I can get my sh*t together. Problem is, what do I do with it now? I don't want the barrel to dry out and I obviously don't want to get bacteria in the barrel. Thinking that adding a mixture of star san would only dilute the bourbon character, water maybe? Anyone out there with experience or a suggestion for how I can keep this barrel in good condition for a few months until I can add beer to it? :P

#2 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 18 December 2009 - 09:25 PM

You need to rinse it a few times with plain water and then fill it with a solution of potassium or sodium metabisulfite (campden tablets). I don't know the concentration but someone here should know. If you get no response, PM strangebrewer and he definitely should be able to help you.Personally, I think the rinsing is pretty important. Recently two groups of brewers in the area each brewed an impy stout and aged it in a Stranahan's barrel. One group didn't rinse the barrel and theirs picked up too much oak and way too much whiskey flavor in only a few months. The other group rinsed 2 or 3 times and then gave it a prolonged soak in sodium metabisulfite. In this case the whiskey is much less pronounced but still present and at the same time the more subtle flavors from the oak are coming out. Each rinse cycle is: fill with water, let sit for a few days, drain and do it over again. Then add the metabisulfite to the last fill. Just one data point but I don't think I'd ever skip that step.

#3 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2009 - 10:15 PM

We do rinsing in between beers, then fill with Starsan and watch the PH. Sometimes our barrels have sat with Starsan for 2mths or more before getting to the next batch. The important thing is barrel integrity, which includes bacteria control and keeping the stave's wet so they don't dry and start to leak. If you use soduim metasulfite, then you will need to rinse very well before adding your next batch. You don't want that carrying over into the beer whatsoever. Starsan wont need a rinse, just empty and fill with your favorite flavor. Both work well in the bacteria control dept. Both will subdue the whiskey notes. I prefer Starsan for the simple ease of use and it has never failed us as long as the barrel is topped up and the PH is noted.We have been doing barrels for years with tons of luck. Barrel selection is key from the get go. Our current barrel we are now enjoying is a Century Impy Stout from a 23yr old Pappy Van Winkle Buffalo Trace barrel conditioned for 9mths. It is now full of batch #2, a Impy Red which is getting close at 3mths in barrel. Tasting notes will determine what style goes in next. Anything else just post up. We always have a full barrel of something.Cheers....

#4 Kansan

Kansan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 115 posts
  • LocationLawrence, KS

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:20 AM

We do rinsing in between beers, then fill with Starsan and watch the PH. We have been doing barrels for years with tons of luck. Barrel selection is key from the get go. Our current barrel we are now enjoying is a Century Impy Stout from a 23yr old Pappy Van Winkle Buffalo Trace barrel conditioned for 9mths.

A few of those stout bottles were circulating at out brew club's xmas party last weekend, and they were quite tasty! The oak levels were in check with a perfect kiss of bourbon flavor hiding in there. Look forward to trying some more at next year's party!

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 20 December 2009 - 10:03 AM

You don't want that carrying over into the beer whatsoever.

Why is that?

#6 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2009 - 03:40 PM

Why is that?

Flavor mainly. If used in smaller amounts, it may not be an issue. I'm not sure how much to use where it would be effective in combating bacteria in a stored barrel. In wine sure, beer, not so sure. Since you used it, maybe you can add something in more detail.

#7 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 December 2009 - 11:32 AM

Flavor mainly. If used in smaller amounts, it may not be an issue. I'm not sure how much to use where it would be effective in combating bacteria in a stored barrel. In wine sure, beer, not so sure. Since you used it, maybe you can add something in more detail.

I'm asking you for the detail since you made the claim.

#8 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 02:50 PM

I'm asking you for the detail since you made the claim.

I thought i gave a reason and then left it open to opinion from you or anyone else.

#9 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 21 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

Ok, well as long as you think you answered my question, that's good enough for me. :stabby:

#10 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:11 PM

I'm not sure how much to use where it would be effective in combating bacteria in a stored barrel. In wine sure, beer, not so sure.

I've never barrel aged a beer before, but...The amount of metabisulfite to use to effectively combat bacteria in a stored barrel will be the same regardless of the beverage being aged in the barrel. Whether it's wine or beer, doesn't matter.

#11 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:14 PM

I've never barrel aged a beer before, but...The amount of k-meta to use to effectively combat bacteria in a stored barrel will be the same regardless of the beverage being aged in the barrel. Whether it's wine or beer, doesn't matter.

I dont think i was very clear. In wine, larger amounts have been reported to carry a off flavor over into wine, i was just curious what amount it would take to do the same thing in beer.

#12 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25442 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:15 PM

This is a timely thread, our club just got another barrel last week, this one is from Four Roses.

#13 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 21 December 2009 - 04:26 PM

I dont think i was very clear. In wine, larger amounts have been reported to carry a off flavor over into wine, i was just curious what amount it would take to do the same thing in beer.

Hmm, it would probably be largely dependent on the beer. I'm not too sure because I don't have barrel aging experience, but I would think that drained barrel wouldn't contain enough metabisulfite to adversely affect the beer.One thing for sure, you don't want to light a sulfur strip to kill the bacteria in this case! :stabby:

#14 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25442 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2009 - 05:03 PM

We do rinsing in between beers, then fill with Starsan and watch the PH. Sometimes our barrels have sat with Starsan for 2mths or more before getting to the next batch. The important thing is barrel integrity, which includes bacteria control and keeping the stave's wet so they don't dry and start to leak. If you use soduim metasulfite, then you will need to rinse very well before adding your next batch. You don't want that carrying over into the beer whatsoever. Starsan wont need a rinse, just empty and fill with your favorite flavor. Both work well in the bacteria control dept. Both will subdue the whiskey notes. I prefer Starsan for the simple ease of use and it has never failed us as long as the barrel is topped up and the PH is noted.We have been doing barrels for years with tons of luck. Barrel selection is key from the get go. Our current barrel we are now enjoying is a Century Impy Stout from a 23yr old Pappy Van Winkle Buffalo Trace barrel conditioned for 9mths. It is now full of batch #2, a Impy Red which is getting close at 3mths in barrel. Tasting notes will determine what style goes in next. Anything else just post up. We always have a full barrel of something.Cheers....

Do you rinse prior to first use? Also, Mtn, I was wondering if the non-rinsers in your area emptied out any dregs? We did an imp. stout in a fresh whiskey barrel a few years ago and it was not overly oaked or whisked after a good 9 months.

#15 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:06 PM

Do you rinse prior to first use? Also, Mtn, I was wondering if the non-rinsers in your area emptied out any dregs? We did an imp. stout in a fresh whiskey barrel a few years ago and it was not overly oaked or whisked after a good 9 months.

Nope. We get freshly dumped barrels. We do dump out the left over whiskey. There usually is alot sitting at the bottom that wasn't racked out from the distiller. Im surprised you didnt get much oak and whiskey after 9thms. What kind of barrel was it?

#16 orudis

orudis

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25442 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 21 December 2009 - 08:49 PM

Nope. We get freshly dumped barrels. We do dump out the left over whiskey. There usually is alot sitting at the bottom that wasn't racked out from the distiller. Im surprised you didnt get much oak and whiskey after 9thms. What kind of barrel was it?

I don't know what it was, may have been a 4 roses, or a jack daniels. Don't get me wrong, the beer had a lot of oak, vanilla, and whiskey flavor, but it was not drastically out of balance. At least, I don't remember it being out of whack, hence I wondered if maybe they didn't drain out the dregs by accident.

#17 ChicagoWaterGuy

ChicagoWaterGuy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3234 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:13 AM

Could you guide me in the right dirrection for obtainining a freshly dumped barrel?

#18 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:42 AM

I'm not sure exactly what their process was. I was involved with the second one but not the first. We went by the book wrt rinsing & sanitizing but the first group didn't.

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:45 AM

Could you guide me in the right dirrection for obtainining a freshly dumped barrel?

Find a winery or distillery that resells their used barrels and go from there. We used Stranahan's in Denver. They sell their used barrels for (I think) $75. One of these days I want to get a wine barrel from Grand Junction so that I don't have to deal with the whiskey flavor in the first batch or two.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 22 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Find a winery or distillery that resells their used barrels and go from there. We used Stranahan's in Denver. They sell their used barrels for (I think) $75. One of these days I want to get a wine barrel from Grand Junction so that I don't have to deal with the whiskey flavor in the first batch or two.

you can't clean them to some degree to reduce this flavor from the start?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users