#1 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 18 December 2009 - 03:46 PM

and want to drink it when youre friends come over and they want some too.It kinda aggravates me, I paid 15 bucks for this brew DFH Theobroma and I dont want to share it to be honest. But then I come off as a douche beer snob. Ill give a sample maybe a few oz, but I really dont wanna split it. These are good friends too, GOD DAMN YOU DILEMMAS!

#2 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 18 December 2009 - 04:18 PM

I completely understand your feelings and I know the way that I am that I would feel the same way if I were in your shoes but I know its not like that here either. I am sure I would be hesitant to wanna share unless I knew I was ready and it was all good. My only idea or thought would be to tell your friends that you just bought the bottle and wanna age it a bit and say you will call them when you are ready perhaps too. Hopefully you enjoyed the portion you drank, never had that one here myself. Cheers.

#3 DaBearSox

DaBearSox

Comptroller of Some Stuff

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1709 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:34 PM

Yea...I had a 4pk of Skullsplitter last weekend that cost me 10.99..someone asked me for one and i squeezed out a sighish "fine"

#4 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18076 posts

Posted 18 December 2009 - 05:40 PM

I was just given a 2003 Westvleteren 12 .. you can bet your ass that I will not be sharing that with just anyone!

#5 Fatman

Fatman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationWest Chester, PA

Posted 18 December 2009 - 08:28 PM

Share the Theobroma. It's not really that good.

#6 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29315 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 19 December 2009 - 04:31 AM

I assume your friends are willing to share what ever they have? Personally if it is something that I want to drink myself I am not going to have it out when they are there, if I have it out I would offer them some. I feel sharing is part of the enjoyment.

#7 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 05:42 AM

and want to drink it when youre friends come over and they want some too.It kinda aggravates me, I paid 15 bucks for this brew DFH Theobroma and I dont want to share it to be honest. But then I come off as a douche beer snob. Ill give a sample maybe a few oz, but I really dont wanna split it. These are good friends too, GOD DAMN YOU DILEMMAS!

I save expensive beers for very small crowds (sometimes just myself). Most people can't appreciate a beer that expensive and I'm too cheap to waste it.

#8 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

I would agree to that, somewhat disappointing.We are having a DFH dinner wed night, and it says on the site that Sam is busting out some vintage stuff- I am psyched!!My circle of friends is pretty good, because although I am always buying good beers, I am buying them to share. Usually a get together will have them buying a bottle or 2 as well. And all 3 of our houses have either HB on tap flowing or a commercial sanke of SN or something equal. In my eyes it all balances out. It is kind of an unwritten rule that the owner of the bottle gets the most generous pour in a snifter. FWIW my budies and I split a rare 6 pack off of ebay last year (actually got a bonus- 7 for the price of 6) and we got some Pannepot, Fat Albert, Oerbier, Stille Nacht, tsjeesus xmas, a Westy 12, and a Westy 8. You can bet your ass it was hard for all of us to share that Westy 12.

#9 realbeerguy

realbeerguy

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1974 posts
  • LocationBluffton, SC

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

I would agree to that, somewhat disappointing.We are having a DFH dinner wed night, and it says on the site that Sam is busting out some vintage stuff- I am psyched!!My circle of friends is pretty good, because although I am always buying good beers, I am buying them to share. Usually a get together will have them buying a bottle or 2 as well. And all 3 of our houses have either HB on tap flowing or a commercial sanke of SN or something equal. In my eyes it all balances out. It is kind of an unwritten rule that the owner of the bottle gets the most generous pour in a snifter. FWIW my budies and I split a rare 6 pack off of ebay last year (actually got a bonus- 7 for the price of 6) and we got some Pannepot, Fat Albert, Oerbier, Stille Nacht, tsjeesus xmas, a Westy 12, and a Westy 8. You can bet your ass it was hard for all of us to share that Westy 12.

ThisIt all balances out. When traveling, a lot of times I 'm looking for some unusual or hard to get beers. Our small circle of friends do the same, so we all get to try different things. One went to Belgium, and brought back an array of hard to finds. That was one hellova tasting party!

#10 Slainte

Slainte

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:39 AM

I love sharing my rare/expensive beer and scotch, but only with people I know will appreciate it. If I don't want to share with the company I have over, I just don't bring out the bottle...simple.

Yep, it was offensive. I couldn't give enough of it away to my friends when I opened the bottle. Still ended up pouring out over half of it.

#11 Given2fly

Given2fly

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:48 AM

I'm all about sharing beers, because I'm not one to drink an entire 22 ounce or 750ml and not want to talk about and break the beer down. And I second the DFH Theombroma, an OK beer but not one that I would consider hoarding because you can find it quite easily again if you enjoy it! With that said, when I get a rare/harder to find beer, I generally get two, one to share and one to age.

#12 Mashman

Mashman

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 553 posts
  • LocationGunnison CO

Posted 19 December 2009 - 07:52 AM

Some of the rarest beers I have had were when friends shared with me. I'm am more then happy and actually prefer to share my rare finds with friends.Mashman

#13 drewseslu

drewseslu

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 573 posts
  • LocationDallas, TX

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:05 AM

Some of the rarest beers I have had were when friends shared with me. I'm am more then happy and actually prefer to share my rare finds with friends.Mashman

Yea! Gimme some more Dissident!

#14 Salsgebom

Salsgebom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 131 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:26 AM

Same here. When I'm going to hang out with beer nerds, I make a point to check out the bottle shop and drop $50 on a seemingly small amount of beer. I like to talk about the rare beers while I'm drinking them and ratebeer.com doesn't cut it for me, I prefer friends.Although, my dad gets fussy if I pour a nice beer for myself and dont share- but he never likes it! He usually says something bad about it and then leaves it somewhere. So I understand the feeling of not wanting to share sometimes.

#15 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2009 - 08:28 AM

I usually don't share beers if I don't want to. I will either hide them in the back or just not talk about it. My friends respect that. On the other hand, I will share rare beers with certain friends. It would depend on how much I have on hand and if that person really would appreciate the style. I certainly wont pour for someone that either just wants beer to get drunk or does not appreciate the style. Also, these people are good friends too, and not just your typical drinking buddy.

#16 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:40 AM

So the Theobroma is drank. To me it was good, its obviously not a beer "beer". For one it has no hops and its what to me it was sorely lacking. But the half bottle I did have did get me good and sauced for the night. After that we went on a beer run and got some steam beer and ed. fitzgerald porter.I liked Theobroma.

#17 CarlosM

CarlosM

Señor Joykill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12344 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:43 AM

I usually don't share beers if I don't want to. I will either hide them in the back or just not talk about it. My friends respect that. On the other hand, I will share rare beers with certain friends. It would depend on how much I have on hand and if that person really would appreciate the style. I certainly wont pour for someone that either just wants beer to get drunk or does not appreciate the style. Also, these people are good friends too, and not just your typical drinking buddy.

yea it ended up just being me and my friend, so i decided to share.

#18 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 19 December 2009 - 09:56 AM

I hide the good bottles in a special place in the beer fridge, you have to be worthy before I allow you to see that section.

#19 Thirsty

Thirsty

Atomic Chef!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2157 posts
  • LocationPhippsburg Maine

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:32 AM

I hide the good bottles in a special place in the beer fridge

Is it right behind the Sunny D?

#20 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 19 December 2009 - 10:48 AM

I would share the attitude most have expressed here - that it's fun to share a special beer with special friends who will appreciate the beer, and would take their turn in sharing a special beer with you. But if it's your Budweiser-drinking friends who want to sample some of your good beer because they are nosey mooches, and they don't want to miss out on something expensive....well, then I would say, "don't cast pearls before swine".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users