#1 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:56 AM

I was interested in getting an analysis of my tap water to tell me everything a brewer would want to know about his water profile. The municipal report I have is basically useless for brewing. It mostly just tells you maximum amounts of contaminants. Can someone recommend a lab that will give the kind of analysis I need of a sample of my tap water?

#2 TAPPER

TAPPER

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationStratford, WI

Posted 15 April 2009 - 09:58 AM

https://www.wardlab.com/

#3 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:00 AM

https://www.wardlab.com/

Thanks! That's the one I had heard of before, but I couldn't remember the name.

#4 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:12 AM

It looks like the difference between the $26.50 and $16.50 household tests are Fluoride and Iron. Would these matter for this purpose?

#5 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:20 AM

It looks like the difference between the $26.50 and $16.50 household tests are Fluoride and Iron. Would these matter for this purpose?

Fluoride doesn't matter but iron might. However, you should know if you have iron in your water just by tasting it. If your water doesn't have a metallic taste then the cheaper test is perfectly fine.

#6 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 April 2009 - 04:16 PM

I can give you the numbers for Gwinnett county (dont have them right at the moment). Because we use pretty much the same or similar water sources, I would think the numbers would be pretty close to Cobb county.

#7 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 15 April 2009 - 05:42 PM

I can give you the numbers for Gwinnett county (dont have them right at the moment). Because we use pretty much the same or similar water sources, I would think the numbers would be pretty close to Cobb county.

Yes, thanks. I would appreciate being able to see the Gwinnett county numbers. I have found my tap water to serendipitously give me very good results through the range of beers I've brewed AG with it. I was thinking about trying some beers with very particular water requirements, like a Pilsner and a Burton ale. I figured I'd better find out what my water profile actually is, so I know what I need to do to it for those beers. Do you find you water in Gwinnett to be generally good for the middle styles without doing much to it?

#8 ChefLamont

ChefLamont

Comptroller of Fear

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9736 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 16 April 2009 - 04:49 AM

Yes, thanks. I would appreciate being able to see the Gwinnett county numbers. I have found my tap water to serendipitously give me very good results through the range of beers I've brewed AG with it. I was thinking about trying some beers with very particular water requirements, like a Pilsner and a Burton ale. I figured I'd better find out what my water profile actually is, so I know what I need to do to it for those beers. Do you find you water in Gwinnett to be generally good for the middle styles without doing much to it?

Here are the numbers Gwinnett gave me a few years ago (in ppm):Calcium: 3.0Magnesium: 6.0Sodium: 7.0Sulfate: 0.0Chlorine: 1.5Bicarbonate: 21.3pH: 7.3I have found our water in the metro area to be outstanding for brewing just about all styles. I have thought about tinkering with the water for a few styles like stouts and some of the brittish beers from places with much harder water, but in the end, I just leave it and they come out really well. I dont know of many people in our are that mess with the brewing water much.

#9 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:27 AM

Here are the numbers Gwinnett gave me a few years ago (in ppm):Calcium: 3.0Magnesium: 6.0Sodium: 7.0Sulfate: 0.0Chlorine: 1.5Bicarbonate: 21.3pH: 7.3I have found our water in the metro area to be outstanding for brewing just about all styles. I have thought about tinkering with the water for a few styles like stouts and some of the brittish beers from places with much harder water, but in the end, I just leave it and they come out really well. I dont know of many people in our are that mess with the brewing water much.

Thanks, Chef. When I get my test report from Ward next week, I'll give you the numbers for comparison.

#10 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:42 AM

Thanks, Chef. When I get my test report from Ward next week, I'll give you the numbers for comparison.

I'd be interested in seeing the comparison too. Like Chef, I rarely muck about with my water much more than running it through a carbon filter, sometimes I don't even do that. And I've always made pretty good beer.

#11 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 07:50 AM

I'd be interested in seeing the comparison too. Like Chef, I rarely muck about with my water much more than running it through a carbon filter, sometimes I don't even do that. And I've always made pretty good beer.

Yeah, it seems like someone told me that the A-B brewery in Cartersville was built there because the local water is so perfect for their brewing.When I get my water test results, I'll post them on this thread in case anyone in the Atlanta area may be interested.

#12 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:17 AM

Anybody already have a SE Portland report?

#13 DuncanDad

DuncanDad

Comptroller of Complaints and Unruly Clients

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21386 posts
  • LocationLaGrange, GA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:23 AM

I wonder if the difference between North Atlanta and here south of Atlanta would be much different.

#14 Lagerdemain

Lagerdemain

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 08:42 AM

One thing to consider is that many municipal water supplies use multiple water sources - and don't necessarily use them consistently. For example, where I lived in Phoenix there were two distinct water sources and the water company switched between them more or less randomly throughout the year.I would recommend calling your water company and try to find out specifically the source(s) of the water entering your home to make sure you don't have a similar situation. If there are multiple sources, then you may not be able to rely upon a single water report - in fact, if your water company switches sources arbitrarily from time to time, and the sources aren't very close in composition, you may not be able to rely upon a water report at all.

#15 UGALawDawg

UGALawDawg

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 16 April 2009 - 10:02 AM

I wonder if the difference between North Atlanta and here south of Atlanta would be much different.

I wouldn't think that it would be that different since all of the water comes from the Chattahooche River. I could be wrong though.

#16 stellarbrew

stellarbrew

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 682 posts
  • LocationAcworth, GA

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:01 AM

My county water utility reports on its website that our water can originate from two sources, either Allatoona lake or the Chattahoochee River, each through a separate water treatment system. I don't know how much the two sources would vary on mineral content. I'm thinking about calling up the water engineer and asking him how much the two may vary, and whether the two sources are alternated indiscriminately, or if one source serves its areas, and the other source serves its areas.Of course if your water comes from Lake Lanier, that's the same as coming from the Chattahoochee.

#17 japh

japh

Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14977 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:41 AM

Anybody already have a SE Portland report?

Softer then you can imagine :)

#18 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 11:57 AM

Softer then you can imagine :)

I take it that's a yes?If so, do you have any recommendations for water treatment?

#19 MtnBrewer

MtnBrewer

Skynet Architect

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6695 posts
  • LocationThe Springs

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:08 PM

I take it that's a yes?If so, do you have any recommendations for water treatment?

You can almost treat it like distilled or reverse osmosis water. In other words, the base water has no minerals in it. Add whatever you need.

#20 ColdAssHonky

ColdAssHonky

Comptroller of Fashion

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 579 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR

Posted 16 April 2009 - 12:14 PM

You can almost treat it like distilled or reverse osmosis water. In other words, the base water has no minerals in it. Add whatever you need.

Water is an area of my brewing that up until now I have put on the back burner (heh heh). I guess I'll have to go back and read those chapters I skipped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users