#1 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:10 PM

I just bought my first 6er of SN Torpedo. (Kind of hard to find here...)Wow! It tastes like chewing on hops.Nice job, Molbasser. :rolf:

#2 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 32138 posts
  • Locationout the backdoor

Posted 09 December 2009 - 06:13 PM

It's around here most of the time I'm out shopping at the local store. We have a few around right now......... May not tomorrow.

#3 ncbeerbrewer

ncbeerbrewer

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2210 posts
  • LocationRaleigh NC

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:13 PM

This is a nice beer. I thought it had a nice long lingering hop flavor as well. I bought a sixer awhile back and really enjoyed it, have a few bottles around still too. It was tough around here finding it also a few months ago but worth the wait for sure. Another quality beer from SN of course too.

#4 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 09 December 2009 - 07:20 PM

Sometimes the Chinook (I think it's Chinook, anyway) really bothers my palate, and sometimes it tastes awesome. It's a weird thing.

#5 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9174 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 09 December 2009 - 08:13 PM

Brewbuddy and I made an all chinook IPA with hops I grew. 7 oz in 10 G spread over 60 min. it's a good assault on your taste buds.

#6 gumballhead

gumballhead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Locationsw michigan

Posted 10 December 2009 - 05:11 AM

I just bought my first 6er of SN Torpedo. (Kind of hard to find here...)Wow! It tastes like chewing on hops.Nice job, Molbasser. :rolf:

yes thank you. and now that Citra is available we too can give it a go. to bad you can't buy it in the Cornie keg.

#7 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14745 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:03 AM

I just bought my first 6er of SN Torpedo. (Kind of hard to find here...)Wow! It tastes like chewing on hops.Nice job, Molbasser. :angry:

Maybe it's just not doing well on the trip to the East Coast, but I've yet to see exactly what is so wonderful about this beer. I don't find it to have a huge hop presence. It's still a very nice beer, but it's certainly not at the top of my list of favorite IPAs.

#8 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48003 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:20 AM

Maybe it's just not doing well on the trip to the East Coast, but I've yet to see exactly what is so wonderful about this beer. I don't find it to have a huge hop presence. It's still a very nice beer, but it's certainly not at the top of my list of favorite IPAs.

While I do find it to have a HUGE hop presence, I wouldn't say it was my favorite, either. It's a great beer, no question, but my tastes run more toward Amarillo for my favorites. Strictly personal preference, though.

#9 MakeMeHoppy

MakeMeHoppy

Redundancy Comptroller of Redundancy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10742 posts
  • LocationSlower Lower Delaware

Posted 10 December 2009 - 07:27 AM

I like Torpedo a lot. I think the main reason is the new taste of Citra hops. Like any pale ale / IPA I like to keep switching off because I quickly get tired of the same hops.I make an all columbus hop with is the hop I get the least tired of.Slightly off topic but what torpedo (and it's marketing) did was get my local distributor to get more of the SNBC varieties. I love the stout and kellerweisen.

#10 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14745 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 10 December 2009 - 08:20 AM

I like Torpedo a lot. I think the main reason is the new taste of Citra hops. Like any pale ale / IPA I like to keep switching off because I quickly get tired of the same hops.I make an all columbus hop with is the hop I get the least tired of.Slightly off topic but what torpedo (and it's marketing) did was get my local distributor to get more of the SNBC varieties. I love the stout and kellerweisen.

Keller is awesome. Though I can easily find most of their lineup, I haven't even seen their stout in years.

#11 jayb151

jayb151

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1137 posts
  • LocationBatavia

Posted 10 December 2009 - 09:46 AM

Their other "flavors" just made it to my local "giant Beer Store." Before then I had to get then from the Convienient store. They would heve one at a time and i guess I'm the only guy who bought from them. :angry: I've had Torpedo twice I think. I remember being disappointed when I first had it because It was SUPER built up. In reality I had unreal expectations. Second time around I remember really enjoying it. I will say though that I thought it was a tough sweeter than the PA, but had a huge hop nose. Really is a great beer...I might have to go get some today.

#12 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 11 December 2009 - 10:33 AM

I'm gonna have to give it another try. My reaction the first time around was kinda underwhelming...I just didn't get the hops like I expected. Of course, it's possible my expectations were off base....

#13 harryfrog

harryfrog

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • LocationAtascadero, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 11:19 AM

If you can find it out there, try and get a 6-pack of Lagunitas Imperial Red. It's a wonderful beer. Nice hop aroma, nice and bitter, still with a good malty backbone.

#14 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 December 2009 - 12:35 PM

I don't think Torpedo is some hop monster, I just think it has a nice hop presence.

#15 tag

tag

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1209 posts
  • LocationDenver

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:09 PM

too bad you can't buy it in the Cornie keg.

Are you sure? We just got a 5 gallon Sanke of Celebration. Well actually we just killed a 5 gallon Sanke of Celebration. Time to call the store.

#16 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:13 PM

No chinook.MolBasser

#17 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 64122 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:52 PM

No chinook.MolBasser

I thought I read it used chinook in the bittering. Whatever it uses, sometimes it gives me a weird harshness, and sometimes it doesn't. I've never experienced that before with any other beer.

#18 MolBasser

MolBasser

Comptrolled by Seahawks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15351 posts
  • LocationChico, CA

Posted 11 December 2009 - 01:57 PM

I thought I read it used chinook in the bittering. Whatever it uses, sometimes it gives me a weird harshness, and sometimes it doesn't. I've never experienced that before with any other beer.

https://www.sierrane...rs/torpedo.htmlMolBasser

#19 boo boo

boo boo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts
  • LocationHeart's Delight, Newfoundland

Posted 11 December 2009 - 03:36 PM

My brother-in-law is going to be in San Diego again next week and this time he has a list complete with pictures of the SN brews I want brought back to me.Last trip was a few months ago, and the son-of-a only brought back a SN summer lager anda few other beers from New Belgium.So if the stars align and he don't shag up, I'll finally get to taste a SNPA as well as the rest of the lineup.Sucks to live in such a beer wasteland, but there's no place I'd rather be.

#20 beach

beach

Frequent Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1160 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 12 December 2009 - 05:01 PM

IMO Torpedo is a fine IPA, not my fav, Two Hearted gets that, but right up there for sure.Beach

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users