#101 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 31 July 2024 - 01:25 PM

I'm brewing sometime this week. I have a pack of Vosso Nova (high thiol Kveik) to try out.

Finally got around to brewing today. I did use the Vossa Nova for the first time. I also used Phantasm powder.

#102 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 31 July 2024 - 02:46 PM

With my OG, I should call this my Battle of Hastings beer

#103 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12568 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 02 August 2024 - 06:33 AM

Finally got around to brewing today. I did use the Vossa Nova for the first time. I also used Phantasm powder.

I was out of the game for a while, what the hell is phantasm powder?  You coking up your beer?  :P

#104 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18189 posts

Posted 02 August 2024 - 07:31 AM

I was out of the game for a while, what the hell is phantasm powder?  You coking up your beer?  :P

It is a powder that is made up from ground up grape skins that have more thiols than most hops.  It helps to use certain yeasts when using it. 

#105 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 03 August 2024 - 05:20 AM

It is a powder that is made up from ground up grape skins that have more thiols than most hops. It helps to use certain yeasts when using it.

Unfortunately, I think the shipping killed the Vossa Nova yeast. There was no signs of fermentation after 24 hours. I then added a pack of dry Voss and it took off. I'm not expecting much from the Phantasm now.

#106 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 14 August 2024 - 04:35 PM

Finally had a chance to keg my recent brew. It was under pressure, so it's already about 75% carbonated. Should be good to go by Friday.

#107 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 25 August 2024 - 10:19 AM

Milled grain today to make a lager tomorrow. First time trying Novalager. It wasn't Ken's cup of tea but I just might like the fruitiness.

#108 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 26 August 2024 - 02:25 PM

Finished up a couple of hours ago. Chilling the wort in the fridge to 65-ish because my chiller only gets it to mid 80's this time of year. Tomorrow, I might brew again but I'll use kveik and ferment around 100.

#109 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 28 August 2024 - 01:58 PM

Finished up a couple of hours ago. Chilling the wort in the fridge to 65-ish because my chiller only gets it to mid 80's this time of year. Tomorrow, I might brew again but I'll use kveik and ferment around 100.

I used kveik yesterday. Geez, I've brewed with it many times but it still blows my mind. Pitched 26 hours ago with the wort around 90. Put on a heat belt and it's going nuts. OG was 1.065. It's currently at 100 degrees and the gravity is 1.018.

#110 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12568 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 28 August 2024 - 04:31 PM

Damn, I really am out of touch these days!  :)  Never heard of kveik yeast, and you ferment with it at 100F?!  What kind of flavor profile?  That'd be banana-flavored diesel fuel with a lot of yeasts.

#111 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 29 August 2024 - 04:01 AM

It's Norwegian yeast, there are many varieties. Voss kveik throws off a citrus (mostly orange) profile at super high temps. Not unpleasant at all. It works well for me in fruity IPA's.

#112 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 29 August 2024 - 04:06 AM

The orange esters are not as prominent when fermented at room temp. Another kveik, lutra, is very neutral. But you don't want to ferment that at as high a temp. Very clean in the mid 60's, low 70's.

#113 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22641 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 30 August 2024 - 11:12 AM

The kveik IPA is now cold crashing (finished at 1.009). I'll start dry hopping tomorrow. It will be ready for some guests who will be arriving on Wednesday. Grain to glass in less than a week.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users