#61 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63274 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:52 PM

That seems so strange to me. Like couldn't the outcome of the game be influenced by how much time the referee actually decides to add or not add?

ETA: it makes sense to add like 5 minutes if there was 5 minutes of downtime for an injury but the way that article presents it seems like they can also just add time for no real reason

It's an estimate but it's not arbitrary.

#62 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27145 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:12 PM

Double post

Edited by Sidney Porter, 24 November 2022 - 03:16 PM.

#63 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27145 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:17 PM

What levels are you referring to? I've never played in or seen a soccer game where the clock is stopped except during half time.

NCAA and ohio high school are the 2 where I have seen it

#64 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63274 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:46 PM

NCAA and ohio high school are the 2 where I have seen it

weird.  to the best of my knowledge when I was in HS the clock was always running.  in the rec league I was just coaching it definitely was because I kept time on my own and often the half would end right on schedule.

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 24 November 2022 - 04:47 PM.

#65 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31605 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 27 November 2022 - 11:12 PM

The number of people with Notre Dame tattoos who never set foot on the campus is stupefying.

Same for Texas A&M.  There are people who call themselves Aggies, have never been to College Station, never been to one of the games.  Just watch on TV.  I'm embarrassed to admit I'm related to some of them.  Distantly, but still.

Mrs. Toon's brother has a thin blue line tattoo.  Was never a cop.  Was a dispatcher, then a crime scene tech(he took pictures). 

People are stupid.  Go figure.

#66 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81112 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:24 AM

WC is definitely on my radar. Love it but the whole Qatar part of this one has left a very bad taste for me and am not watching

pretty much this, I follow it loosely cuz I played for so long in my life.  having it in some backward ass country that doesn't even have beer and kills people for being gay?  pretty easy to argue that it should never return to the middle east until they grow the fuck up a bit and move out of the 14th century.

#67 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63274 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:29 AM

pretty much this, I follow it loosely cuz I played for so long in my life.  having it in some backward ass country that doesn't even have beer and kills people for being gay?  pretty easy to argue that it should never return to the middle east until they grow the fuck up a bit and move out of the 14th century.

def some mixed feelings there.  I also blame FIFA in a big way for putting it on there.

#68 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81112 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:33 AM

def some mixed feelings there.  I also blame FIFA in a big way for putting it on there.

most definitely FIFA's fault.

#69 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63274 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:43 AM

If the right people were running fifa and/or the Olympics things like this could encourage progress. A missed opportunity I think.

#70 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81112 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 November 2022 - 08:49 AM

If the right people were running fifa and/or the Olympics things like this could encourage progress. A missed opportunity I think.

I agree in theory, but I find it impossible (at this point in history) in most of those fundie countries.

#71 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9258 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:35 AM

I agree in theory, but I find it impossible (at this point in history) in most of those fundie countries.

Yeah, but Russia held it last time and all those things are true there with the exception of beer availability. 

#72 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81112 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 November 2022 - 09:54 AM

Yeah, but Russia held it last time and all those things are true there with the exception of beer availability. 

i dont believe russia actually executes people for being gay (i could be wrong - tho i know it is not widely accepted as a society).  while i'm far from being a 'fan' of russia, it is (as a society) far more progressive than most M.E. countries from what i can tell.

#73 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9258 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:23 AM

i dont believe russia actually executes people for being gay (i could be wrong - tho i know it is not widely accepted as a society).  while i'm far from being a 'fan' of russia, it is (as a society) far more progressive than most M.E. countries from what i can tell.

In some parts of Russia - Chechnya for example - there have indeed been kidnaps and executions. Also, last time I looked Qatar hasn't actually invaded anywhere recently, nor annexed any parts of its neighbors, and indeed they have been noticeably not blowing up adjacent countries power grids and water supplies ..... 

I'm pretty confident that if you can ignore Russian aggression to its neighbors then a lack of Budweiser and rainbow badges seems pretty much normal :)

#74 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81112 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 28 November 2022 - 10:34 AM

In some parts of Russia - Chechnya for example - there have indeed been kidnaps and executions. Also, last time I looked Qatar hasn't actually invaded anywhere recently, nor annexed any parts of its neighbors, and indeed they have been noticeably not blowing up adjacent countries power grids and water supplies ..... 

I'm pretty confident that if you can ignore Russian aggression to its neighbors then a lack of Budweiser and rainbow badges seems pretty much normal :)

I would not ignore russian invasion of another country, but they hadn't really gone to ukraine yet when the WC was there (2018).  today is a different story.

and while there may have been kidnapping/executions, I dont think that being gay is illegal by law.  and even here in the states (which is arguably the most progressive country in the world for LGBTQ rights) there are still hate crimes against those.  I'm not trying to excuse russia, but comparing russia to most of the ME is and apple/oranges comparison.

#75 Enid Puceflange

Enid Puceflange

Old Squinty

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9258 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 11:05 AM

I would not ignore russian invasion of another country, but they hadn't really gone to ukraine yet when the WC was there (2018).  today is a different story.

and while there may have been kidnapping/executions, I dont think that being gay is illegal by law.  and even here in the states (which is arguably the most progressive country in the world for LGBTQ rights) there are still hate crimes against those.  I'm not trying to excuse russia, but comparing russia to most of the ME is and apple/oranges comparison.

You will recall Russia annexed Crimea in 2014, as well as South Ossetia in Georgia in 2008. They were under widespread sanctions from 2014 not least for shooting down MH-17 - a civilian airliner with a Buk missile.

You are indeed correct that Russia and Qatar are apples and oranges - Russia should never have hosted in 2018 since it was under UN sanctions, and Qatar should be encouraged :)

#76 orudis

orudis

Deputy Comptroller of Rarts

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22095 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:28 AM

Yeah, both Russia in 2018 and Qatar today are blatant examples of FIFA’s absolute corruption.

Having said that, USMNT has a must-win game today against Iran. USA! USA! USA!

Edited by orudis, 29 November 2022 - 09:32 AM.

#77 postSingularityHumanoid

postSingularityHumanoid

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 63274 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 29 November 2022 - 09:44 AM

Yeah, both Russia in 2018 and Qatar today are blatant examples of FIFA’s absolute corruption.

Having said that, USMNT has a must-win game today against Iran. USA! USA! USA!

yeah, I'll have to be monitoring that one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users