101 replies to this topic

#81 Ineedacatscan

Ineedacatscan

Comptroller of BAW!!!1!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6134 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:47 PM

Ok all cooking is done. At least the construction part. Asparagus and rolls need to go in the oven. That’s all that’s left. Waiting on the in-laws to arrive

#82 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 21137 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:53 PM

I finished eating about 2 hours ago. Drinking and waiting on dessert.

#83 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31920 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:54 PM

I had that very thought earlier today.

Turned out very well.  Nice smoky flavor.

break out a round of Alice's restaurant

Over 50 years ago (Nov. 29, 1965), the Berkshire Eagle printed a little article about two young men being fined $25 bucks for dumping trash. Little did we know at the time that the incident, which ran on page 25, would become the basis for Arlo Guthrie's Alice's Restaurant. Here's our original story from 1965:

12309985_917302134990863_521747236343370

Edited by toonces, 24 November 2022 - 03:54 PM.

#84 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105018 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 08:39 PM

BIL and SIL just left. Successful meal overall but I'm glad it's only once a year.

#85 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45199 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:07 PM

I'm still a little bitter. I asked my oldest to bring mashed potatoes.

She said, "Ok, but I'm going to make them my way."

I said, "Do whatever you want, as long as you peel them." She made a face and made it clear that was what she hadn't planned to do. I told her I don't like them with peel, and that if she wouldn't peel them just tell me and she could bring something else instead. "No, no" she'll do them my way.

She shows up today with mashed potatoes with fucking peels in them. She forgot.

I was legitimately pissed. This woman is 35 years old. She should be able to follow simple instructions. I made a turkey, two casserole sides, two pies, and gravy. I asked her to make the potatoes specifically to delegate the work of peeling.

I used my skills. I stood in the kitchen by myself and told myself to let it go. I chose to move on with the day. Everything was great, even though I had to pick around leather bits in my potatoes.

But she's certainly off potato duty going forward. If that was her goal, she succeeded.

#86 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105018 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:34 PM

Lol

I will eat literally anything so your story amuses me

#87 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81907 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:50 PM

But more importantly what’s on the drink menu??

#88 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 81907 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:52 PM

Lol

I will eat literally anything so your story amuses me

bob evans potatoes are fucking good enough to not be worth the effort

#89 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27398 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:46 AM

I'm still a little bitter. I asked my oldest to bring mashed potatoes.

She said, "Ok, but I'm going to make them my way."

I said, "Do whatever you want, as long as you peel them." She made a face and made it clear that was what she hadn't planned to do. I told her I don't like them with peel, and that if she wouldn't peel them just tell me and she could bring something else instead. "No, no" she'll do them my way.

She shows up today with mashed potatoes with fucking peels in them. She forgot.

I was legitimately pissed. This woman is 35 years old. She should be able to follow simple instructions. I made a turkey, two casserole sides, two pies, and gravy. I asked her to make the potatoes specifically to delegate the work of peeling.

I used my skills. I stood in the kitchen by myself and told myself to let it go. I chose to move on with the day. Everything was great, even though I had to pick around leather bits in my potatoes.

But she's certainly off potato duty going forward. If that was her goal, she succeeded.

unless there is food allergies involved I would not let it bother me. You come across as a micro manager. There is normally enough variety of food I don't expect to need to eat everything. Although I agree with you, they should be pealed, some people like them this way.

Now I would be annoyed if you asked for mashed potatoes and she brought stuffing. My mom would do this.

Even more annoying is people that show up late and disrupt the meal by having a critical item missing. Or if they are responsible for the pre meal food (veggies, cheese etc) and they are late missing that window

Other annoying things people that prep their dish at home but decide they will cook it here without asking us ahead of time. This throws off all of our planning of oven temp.

#90 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48311 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 November 2022 - 06:35 AM

I like the skins. They’re good for you too

But I didn’t get any mashed potatoes yesterday

My SIL made twice baked potatoes in a Pyrex dish. I took it out of the oven and placed it on their stovetop. Turned around to do something else and the whole thing exploded. Tiny shards of glass blew out to every side of the kitchen. To make matters worse, the turkey was sitting right next to it.

Huge mess. I’ve never seen anything like that

#91 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27398 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 25 November 2022 - 07:40 AM

I like the skins. They’re good for you too

But I didn’t get any mashed potatoes yesterday

My SIL made twice baked potatoes in a Pyrex dish. I took it out of the oven and placed it on their stovetop. Turned around to do something else and the whole thing exploded. Tiny shards of glass blew out to every side of the kitchen. To make matters worse, the turkey was sitting right next to it.

Huge mess. I’ve never seen anything like that

cookware vs bakeware. Bakeware should not be used on a stovetop. https://kitchenseer....ed-on-stovetop/

#92 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105018 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 07:46 AM

I think he just set it there, not cooking on the stovetop

#93 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48311 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:02 AM

I think he just set it there, not cooking on the stovetop

Yeah the burners weren’t on at all

#94 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105018 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:06 AM

Was there any water on it? This can happen if you set it down on a wet spot. But it can also just happen due to sudden temperature changes

#95 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:17 AM

We had our 8th annual Franks-giving yesterday and we were thrilled that it was our biggest one to date. Everything else has been a challenge this year so it was nice to have a win for a change. 

#96 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 48311 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:33 AM

Was there any water on it? This can happen if you set it down on a wet spot. But it can also just happen due to sudden temperature changes

No water. I’m sure it had something to do with the grates being cold and the dish being hot, but I’ve put hot Pyrex on cold stove grates thousands of times. The glass all just blew apart like how a windshield breaks.

We had our 8th annual Franks-giving yesterday and we were thrilled that it was our biggest one to date. Everything else has been a challenge this year so it was nice to have a win for a change.

What is this event?

#97 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7646 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:44 AM

No water. I’m sure it had something to do with the grates being cold and the dish being hot, but I’ve put hot Pyrex on cold stove grates thousands of times. The glass all just blew apart like how a windshield breaks.
What is this event?

We started doing it as a way to give service industry folks a place to go. Most people in our line of work have to work the day before and the day after thanksgiving so we wanted to provide a nice meal with like minded folks on the day of. We didn't expect to see as many families make it their annual thing, but there are people that come every year, it's cool.

Edited by siouxbrewer, 25 November 2022 - 08:44 AM.

#98 toonces

toonces

Methuselah

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31920 posts
  • Locationthe atomic city

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:28 AM

We started doing it as a way to give service industry folks a place to go. Most people in our line of work have to work the day before and the day after thanksgiving so we wanted to provide a nice meal with like minded folks on the day of. We didn't expect to see as many families make it their annual thing, but there are people that come every year, it's cool.

Good on you.

#99 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45199 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:34 AM

unless there is food allergies involved I would not let it bother me. You come across as a micro manager.

I don't make a big deal about it during the meal, I'm just bitching here.

#100 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 27398 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 25 November 2022 - 09:42 AM

I don't make a big deal about it during the meal, I'm just bitching here.

ok that' makes more sense. When you said you were legitimately pissed I incorrectly assumed you made a scene.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users