#41 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 22 November 2022 - 04:24 PM

It actually got down to 1.010. It's cold crashing now.

#42 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 November 2022 - 10:12 AM

I dropped the dry hops yesterday. I'm kegging tomorrow.

#43 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:27 PM

I dropped the dry hops yesterday. I'm kegging tomorrow.

Btw, not a big charge. Just did 2 oz of Cryo Pop. I really want to see what the Phantasm adds to the process.

#44 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:51 PM

Btw, not a big charge. Just did 2 oz of Cryo Pop. I really want to see what the Phantasm adds to the process.

My understanding is that the less dry hops you use, the more the white wine flavor of the Phantasm comes through.  I'll be curious to hear what you find.

#45 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:22 PM

My understanding is that the less dry hops you use, the more the white wine flavor of the Phantasm comes through. I'll be curious to hear what you find.

I kegged it earlier today. My sample size was very small, just a few small sips from the transfer hose. Surprisingly, I didn't get the white wine flavor I was expecting. But it was bursting with tropical fruit - namely pineapple and passion fruit. I'll get a better take next week after carbonation.

#46 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 01 December 2022 - 04:13 PM

Got a good taste today. It's a good beer, not great. I didn't use a ton of hops but I think the Phantasm definitely upped their game. I'm not quite sure what I'm getting - lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, something else. I may use the yeast cake this weekend for another experiment.

#47 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 02 December 2022 - 01:54 PM

Got a good taste today. It's a good beer, not great. I didn't use a ton of hops but I think the Phantasm definitely upped their game. I'm not quite sure what I'm getting - lots of grapefruit, some pineapple, something else. I may use the yeast cake this weekend for another experiment.

It would be interesting to do a split batch with and without Phantasm.  BTW, I hear there's a liquid version on the way.

#48 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 04 December 2022 - 10:07 AM

I brought a growler to a party Friday night. One of the people who sampled it claimed they could taste Muscadine grape. It was well received as was my Lithuanian farmhouse ale.

#49 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 04 December 2022 - 07:08 PM

I brought a growler to a party Friday night. One of the people who sampled it claimed they could taste Muscadine grape. It was well received as was my Lithuanian farmhouse ale.

I have no doubt. Your beers always look great.

#50 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22160 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 05 December 2022 - 01:09 PM

That deserves a +1!

#51 BlKtRe

BlKtRe

Comptroller of le Shartes

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16518 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Oz

Posted 16 January 2023 - 09:45 AM

Trying to find this podcast. I get a dead end. Can the link be restored Denny? 

#52 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 17 January 2023 - 01:23 PM

Trying to find this podcast. I get a dead end. Can the link be restored Denny? 

Hopefully soon.  We're migrating to a new host and things are taking more time than we expected.

try this

https://www.experime...61-a-thiologue/

#53 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49860 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 06 February 2023 - 11:36 AM

It would be interesting to do a split batch with and without Phantasm. BTW, I hear there's a liquid version on the way.

I assume you’re talking about Thiol Boost from Berkeley. I got a 5 gal just last week and brewed using it ASAP. The stuff is pretty incredible.

You had mentioned reducing the dry hop when using the Phantasm. These is definitely true for mash hopping with these thiolized yeasts. The excessive amounts of DH that people had been using to get the hop derived thiol precursors turn out to be detrimental to the purpose of getting this sort of expression with these yeasts. I’ve been getting better character with half or less the amount of dry hops

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users