Photo
- - - - -

who would be on board doing the Memory Lapse Pale Ale?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:25 AM

Big Nake, i actually used WLP002 since it should help with a more malty flavor.

Either way will be tasty beer. Personal preference.

#22 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:44 AM

Big Nake, i actually used WLP002 since it should help with a more malty flavor.

I assume it will be good but is WLP002 the one that is a combination of US and English yeast?  The concern would be that the attenuation was lower and that additional maltiness throws off the balance of a beer that is built on balance.  I think I made MLPA with something like S-04 one time and the beer's balance suffered a little.  It's a beer where you have to look at each piece carefully... the IBUs, the grain bill, the water (specifically that it doesn't lean too far towards chloride) and the yeast and its attenuation.  If you see any issues that might all push in the same direction, you want to try to adjust elsewhere (add more hops, adjust the water to include more sulfate, etc).  A number of people have mentioned trying to make this beer and whiffing because of one of the above issues.  It's a recipe I put together on my own system and with my own variables and it worked mainly because my water leans towards sulfate and because I used WLP001.  Keep us posted on how it comes out.  

#23 Hines

Hines

Comptroller of Emus

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9744 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:56 AM

I'm certain i'll brew again with S-04 and maybe again with WLP001.   Plan is to keep a couple bottles of each for a taste test.     It's all good.

Their description:

This is a classic ESB strain from one of England’s largest independent breweries. While it is traditionally used for English-style ales including milds, bitters, porters, and stouts, it is also ideal for American-style pale ales and IPAs. Residual sweetness accentuates malt character along with mild fruity esters, adding complexity to the flavor and aroma of finished beers.

#24 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:57 AM

002 is English ale.

#25 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18067 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 06:58 AM

I assume it will be good but is WLP002 the one that is a combination of US and English yeast?  The concern would be that the attenuation was lower and that additional maltiness throws off the balance of a beer that is built on balance.  I think I made MLPA with something like S-04 one time and the beer's balance suffered a little.  It's a beer where you have to look at each piece carefully... the IBUs, the grain bill, the water (specifically that it doesn't lean too far towards chloride) and the yeast and its attenuation.  If you see any issues that might all push in the same direction, you want to try to adjust elsewhere (add more hops, adjust the water to include more sulfate, etc).  A number of people have mentioned trying to make this beer and whiffing because of one of the above issues.  It's a recipe I put together on my own system and with my own variables and it worked mainly because my water leans towards sulfate and because I used WLP001.  Keep us posted on how it comes out.  

No, that was WLP200.  WLP002 is just English Ale.  WLP200 was a combo of WLP001 and WPL002.

#26 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:04 AM

No, that was WLP200. WLP002 is just English Ale. WLP200 was a combo of WLP001 and WPL002.

I had to read that a few times lol! My brain read all of those as 002!

#27 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53962 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:35 AM

No, that was WLP200.  WLP002 is just English Ale.  WLP200 was a combo of WLP001 and WPL002.

Oh yeah, thanks Drez.  I never used it but I had heard of it.

Somewhere in there I had made a "mild ale" that I put together and the concept wasn't far off of MLPA... some color, balanced, refreshing, etc. and leaning malty.  I think I used British crystal in the beer and also Northern Brewer hops just at the start of the boil for about 24-25 IBUs and I used an English ale yeast like 1028 or 1099, maybe 1469, etc.  I balanced the chloride and sulfate so the water was balanced.  I think the yeast I used was a lower attenuater (1968?) and I also think the hops may have been on the older side and didn't have the same punch as they would if they were fresher.  As a result the beer was out of balance and too malty.  I believe I dropped a bag of hops into the keg and I saved it but the point is that I tend to pinpoint a perfect balance without the beer being too hoppy and there are drawbacks to that.  When I make a batch of MLPA or one of the other offshoots and it comes out right, it's the perfect beer for me.  I can drink it all day.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users