#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 August 2022 - 04:45 AM

So right around the time I was intending to transfer from primary to kegs I got COVID so I then didn't feel like doing, well, anything.

So this beer stayed in primary on the yeast cake. I've just left the beer in there and I've been drinking it right out of the primary. At this point it's crystal clear. Tastes fine and doesn't seem to be taking a turn for the worse. I think it's been between 1 and 2 months now.

Now with co2 shortages in thinking I'll just finish it this way and save all of the co2 I'd use to do the transfer. So at some point I'm wondering if this is going to be a problem. I'm doing my best to finish it before this happens.

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 13 August 2022 - 11:52 AM

I haven't seen CO2 shortages.  Have you?  I've read about them, but I don 't think it's much of a problem at our scale.

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 August 2022 - 01:43 PM

I haven't seen CO2 shortages.  Have you?  I've read about them, but I don 't think it's much of a problem at our scale.

I haven't tried yet but I can tell I'll need to refill my 20# tank soon.  this is mostly b/c I got lazy.

my brother was just here and liked this voss kveik beer so much he took some with him.  I'll be monitoring for quality degradation for sure.  it would be nice if I could use these kegs for my next beer though.  they are all sanitized and purged.

Edited by postSingularityHumanoid, 13 August 2022 - 01:44 PM.

#4 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22131 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 13 August 2022 - 02:40 PM

I did it once and others apparently do it all the time. The lone time I did it, I just fermented in a corny under pressure and just moved it directly to my kegerator. Seemed perfectly fine. The downside is I only put about 4.5 gallons of wort in the keg.

I haven't tried yet but I can tell I'll need to refill my 20# tank soon. this is mostly b/c I got lazy.

my brother was just here and liked this voss kveik beer so much he took some with him. I'll be monitoring for quality degradation for sure. it would be nice if I could use these kegs for my next beer though. they are all sanitized and purged.

How did you like the Kveik?

#5 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 14 August 2022 - 07:04 AM

I haven't seen CO2 shortages. Have you? I've read about them, but I don 't think it's much of a problem at our scale.

The rep was in on Friday talking about it, we aren’t going to go without, but it’s going up in price. We will probably be around 8-10k bbl this year for a reference

It definitely shouldn’t be a problem to get a personal tank filled. Maybe a couple bucks more but there is gas

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 August 2022 - 01:55 PM

The rep was in on Friday talking about it, we aren’t going to go without, but it’s going up in price. We will probably be around 8-10k bbl this year for a reference

It definitely shouldn’t be a problem to get a personal tank filled. Maybe a couple bucks more but there is gas

That was only a small part. I also like keeping those two corny kegs sanitized and ready to go.

#7 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 15 August 2022 - 08:54 AM

I think it's more of an issue for you than a homebrewer.

#8 Stout_fan

Stout_fan

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3115 posts
  • LocationKnoxville, TN

Posted 16 August 2022 - 04:52 AM

So this beer stayed in primary on the yeast cake. I've just left the beer in there and I've been drinking it right out of the primary. At this point it's crystal clear. Tastes fine and doesn't seem to be taking a turn for the worse. I think it's been between 1 and 2 months now.

That was OldFarts MO. His beers tasted fine.... for extract. (Had to throw that in there).

Seriously his regular plato IPAs were excellent. He just had problems with higher gravity beers and mouthfeel.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 August 2022 - 05:16 AM

If I'm not planning on brewing in the near future this is a nice time savings. Like the last brew before it gets really hot outside. I am probably a few weeks away from making anything else and I might be able to kick this thing by then.

#10 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:23 PM

So no issues. I drank it all.

#11 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18066 posts

Posted 18 August 2022 - 06:54 PM

Any yeast towards the bottom?

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 19 August 2022 - 03:03 AM

Not in this case because I used my cut off dip tube. It must have compacted pretty well.

#13 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22131 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:06 PM

Not in this case because I used my cut off dip tube. It must have compacted pretty well.

. I just assumed you would automatically use a floating dip tube for this.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 20 August 2022 - 06:45 PM

. I just assumed you would automatically use a floating dip tube for this.

I'm not 100% convinced it's worth using for non-dryhopped beers. The issue is that the dip tube hangs below the float level so there is guaranteed loss. My dip tube tends to pull some junk from the bottom initially but after that it's good to go. So I suspect I might get a little more beer out with it.

If I dry hopped though the fishing dip tube gives that stuff s chance to settle before I get there.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49855 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 01 September 2022 - 02:38 AM

I think it's more of an issue for you than a homebrewer.

Absolutely.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users