2 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 17617 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:09 AM

We have copper sewer pipes and they're wearing out. Likely, we'll be redoing the whole deal out to the street, which is all kinds of fun. I'm waiting until it's necessary though, either because of roots or the main starts to leak/fail. (previous owner JB weld a sink pipe into the main. That sink is clogged and and snake isn't doing it. Plumber wouldn't touch it since they think anything more aggressive is likely to blow out the hack job and require a full sewer redo.)

The situation is the pipes are getting thin on the bottom and will develop drip leaks. I've replaced sections over the years, but the current spot involves a complex junction within floor joists and is more than I want to bite off with my PVC skills. I thought about having a plumber come in, but wondering if a patch solution would work? There's no water pressure so I just need to reinforce the very bottom of the pipe.

I probed and the pipe is soft in about a six inch section then seems solid going down. So really looking to not spend a bunch with a plumber on something that eventually will be ripped out in a few years.

I thought about JB weld... I mean... it's held in the other spot for 25+ years!

https://www.amazon.c...product_details

Also, there's some flex tape stuff Billie Mays (RIP) probably sold that might be easier for this situation.

Thoughts?

#2 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 105019 posts

Posted 23 June 2022 - 08:16 AM

I think I would consider one of the brush-on Flex Seal products over tape but it probably comes down to the same thing either way... Flex Seal was my first thought for sure.

#3 strangebrewer

strangebrewer

Frequent Member

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1419 posts
  • LocationDenver, CO

Posted 24 June 2022 - 04:59 AM

I have no experience with patch materials but when needing to ghetto-fab plumbing I usually go PVC and fernco fittings. Not as easy as slapping some flex seal on but it should hold up better.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users