#1 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 04:28 AM

Still need to work this out but hoping if I post this I'll actually follow through :P

• Verdant IPA yeast
  • Golden Promise for the base and probably some light crystal but nothing too crazy
  • Hops will be a combo of chinook, citra, bravo, and azacca
  • OG of about 1.060-1.065
  • minimal IBUs
  • dry hopped

#2 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22054 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:09 AM

Looks good. I just made a tasty one with Hornindal yeast and a Citra/Vic Secret hop combo. I'll be making another shortly for some family who are coming in mid June. I'm going to try out the Cryp Pop hops in that.

#3 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18036 posts

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:14 AM

I would add some wheat in the base grain bill but that is because I have a metric ton to use up.  Looks delicious to me.  I would most likely keep the water about 100/100 and enjoy the hell out of it.

#4 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:15 AM

I would add some wheat in the base grain bill but that is because I have a metric ton to use up. Looks delicious to me. I would most likely keep the water about 100/100 and enjoy the hell out of it.

I think I have some I should probably use up. Probably just 5lb or so. Might toss some in.

#5 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:17 AM

Looks good. I just made a tasty one with Hornindal yeast and a Citra/Vic Secret hop combo. I'll be making another shortly for some family who are coming in mid June. I'm going to try out the Cryp Pop hops in that.

Don't flounce or anything because I'm going to need your tips this summer when I use the Voss kviek dry yeast I've got in the fridge.

#6 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:35 AM

just measured grain:

22lb GP

2.5 lb white wheat

0.5 lb C15

0.5 lb C20

I could have used all C15 but I was trying to use up the C20 after finishing a bag of C15.

OG should be 1.065-1.070 :P

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 07:45 AM

hops:

0.5oz Bravo @ 30

2oz chinook, 1oz citra, 1oz bravo @ flameout

2oz chinook, 2oz citra, 0.5oz bravo, 3oz azacca hop stand

dry hop I'm not sure yet.  I think I'm going to maybe just do this one in the serving kegs.  probabably a similar amount as the hop stand per keg.

#8 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18981 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:48 PM

I have I think 10 lbs of golden promise I need to use (bought after you all want its praises). Maybe in my next IPA.

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 11 May 2022 - 05:53 PM

I have I think 10 lbs of golden promise I need to use (bought after you all want its praises). Maybe in my next IPA.

It is good stuff. One of my favorite pro Brewers uses it almost exclusively for his ales apparently.

#10 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22054 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 11 May 2022 - 06:35 PM

Don't flounce or anything because I'm going to need your tips this summer when I use the Voss kviek dry yeast I've got in the fridge.

Voss is ok but for a hoppy, fruity, IPA, I prefer Hornindal yeast. Hornindal has made some of my best tropical IPAs. Regardless of what you use, ferment it hot - real hot. 90's is good.

Just in case I flounce or go underground for awhile. :)

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:44 AM

you aren't going anywhere!  what is voss good for?  I like not super hoppy beers too.

#12 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2022 - 05:48 AM

I would add some wheat in the base grain bill but that is because I have a metric ton to use up.  Looks delicious to me.  I would most likely keep the water about 100/100 and enjoy the hell out of it.

I got them both to about 90.

What mash pH would you shoot for on a beer like this?  my default is 5.3 for pretty much everything except occasionally on a darker/roasty beer I'll let it creep up to 5.4 or 5.5.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:25 AM

It is good stuff. One of my favorite pro Brewers uses it almost exclusively for his ales apparently.

Golden Promise is simply a malt variety.  What the maltsters do with is what makes the difference.  For instance, I find Simpson's GP is very different from Fawcett GP..  Saying "I'm using Golden Promise" is kinda like saying "I'm eating food".

Edited by denny, 12 May 2022 - 11:28 AM.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2022 - 11:40 AM

Golden Promise is simply a malt variety. What the maltsters do with is what makes the difference. For instance, I find Simpson's GP is very different from Fawcett GP.. Saying "I'm using Golden Promise" is kinda like saying "I'm eating food".

I agree different malters have variation but it should be less of a difference versus some other general malt type. I'll admit I haven't tried a variety of GP (just TF as far as I can remember) but I have tried a variety of other types of malt (pilsner, Munich, Marris otter) and in general they have more in common across brands then not.

#15 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 12 May 2022 - 12:39 PM

I agree different malters have variation but it should be less of a difference versus some other general malt type. I'll admit I haven't tried a variety of GP (just TF as far as I can remember) but I have tried a variety of other types of malt (pilsner, Munich, Marris otter) and in general they have more in common across brands then not.

Wow, I have not found that.

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

Wow, I have not found that.

so you think that best malz munich is more different than some other brand of munich compared to best malz pilsner?  they are all kind of shooting for the same ballpark with these types of malt.

#17 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 May 2022 - 04:49 PM

5.4g of gypsum, 5.4g of CaCl, 5.4mL of lactic acid....

#18 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:49 AM

huh, mash pH was much higher than predicted at 5.5+.  added an additional 3.2mL of lactic to see what this will do.  I'm assuming lactic effects things pretty much immediately upon mixing it in.  if this doesn't drop it a lot I'm just going to say f it and leave it alone.

#19 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2022 - 04:58 AM

ugh, wtf.  pH didn't drop after that additional lactic???  whatever.  I'm still in an acceptable range here.

#20 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 May 2022 - 09:04 AM

damn, I wouldn't think 2.5lb of wheat would make for a slow drain of the mash tun but this one took a llllooooonnnnggg time.  finally chilling now even though I started heating my water at 5:30AM :-/

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users