#1 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

Grand Duke of Inappropriate Announcements

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts
  • LocationKnee deep in business plans

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

What do you guys recommend as the best cooler for doing a mash/ adding the ball valve drainage converter kit for up to a 10 gallon brew?I'm gonna put one on my Christmas Wish list so I can hopefully go All Grain next year.Thanks,Rich

#2 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9092 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:42 AM

70 qt. Extreme

#3 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

Open Letter (and similar documents) Comptroller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

70 qt. Extreme

That's what I have - it makes a great tun.

#4 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:47 AM

Is that a coleman?

#5 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 10:52 AM

Is that a coleman?

yeup(mine is blue but otherwise looks the same)

#6 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 11:46 AM

38Qt Igloo Ice Cube. The geometry is perfect for sparging. Fitted with a manifold is a 85-90% efficient machine.

#7 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14754 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:02 PM

70 qt. Extreme

Yeah, the Extreme coolers are great for holding mash temps. I have a small one and the 70qt Marine version. They are tough to get a seal on with a bulkhead/ball valve setup, though.

#8 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 12:55 PM

38Qt Igloo Ice Cube. The geometry is perfect for sparging. Fitted with a manifold is a 85-90% efficient machine.

Can you fit enough grain and water in that for a 10 gallon brew - 38qt is 9.5 gallons, is that gonna be enough? I will do both 5 and 10 sessions once I start AG.I have 2, 60 quart ice cubes, regular not max cold or whatever, its not very well insulated and is pretty cheap and the damn bottom leaks. They are great as swamp coolers, but I don't think they would be very good as a mash tun.

Edited by rcemech, 30 November 2009 - 12:57 PM.

#9 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 01:35 PM

Can you fit enough grain and water in that for a 10 gallon brew - 38qt is 9.5 gallons, is that gonna be enough? I will do both 5 and 10 sessions once I start AG.I have 2, 60 quart ice cubes, regular not max cold or whatever, its not very well insulated and is pretty cheap and the damn bottom leaks. They are great as swamp coolers, but I don't think they would be very good as a mash tun.

I think it would be kind of close - check out the "can I mash it" calculator found here: linklooks like anything over 25lbs at 1.25qt/lb would be trouble.

#10 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:03 PM

I can get 30# of grain at 1.20qts/# in the 36qt. and 41# in my flat bottom 60qt. Ice Cube.Ive been using the 36qt now for at least 3yrs with Zero leaking issues, or heat loss. Same with the 60qt. So im not sure what you are doing different than I am but my Cubes are not even anywhere close to being used up. I usually brew 10-24g batches and brew 2-3x/month. So sure they work great for a swamp cooler, but work even better as MT's. If your leaks out the bottom, guessing around the drain, then it wont matter what cooler you use it will leak with your current design. (Making a assumption there).Edit: My cubes are not the Marine or extra insulated.

#11 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 29317 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:11 PM

i use to have a igloo ice cube 48 qts. The biggest beer I ever made 10 gallons of was a 1.075. It was probably 27lbs or so, and I probably went with 1qt per pound. It was filled up to the top.As far as what cooler is the best. The round 10 gallon rubber maids and the ice cubes were /are popular with people who fly sparge it is a grain bed depth issue. Too shallow of a depth can cause problems (5 gallon batches on a small beer could be an issue in a large rectangle cooler) The depth is not as critical if batch sparging.I am sure thatthe extremes hold temps better, but I never had much temp drop in the ice cube. Currently I use a converted keg I throw a wool blanket over it and only lose a few degrees over an hour mash.

#12 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:14 PM

I am sure thatthe extremes hold temps better, but I never had much temp drop in the ice cube. Currently I use a converted keg I throw a wool blanket over it and only lose a few degrees over an hour mash.

I have no doubt that you are correct. I only bought the extreme b/c I knew I could easily set it up with no problems b/c others had done it before me.

#13 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:20 PM

I can get 30# of grain at 1.20qts/# in the 36qt. and 41# in my flat bottom 60qt. Ice Cube.Ive been using the 36qt now for at least 3yrs with Zero leaking issues, or heat loss. Same with the 60qt. So im not sure what you are doing different than I am but my Cubes are not even anywhere close to being used up. I usually brew 10-24g batches and brew 2-3x/month. So sure they work great for a swamp cooler, but work even better as MT's. If your leaks out the bottom, guessing around the drain, then it wont matter what cooler you use it will leak with your current design. (Making a assumption there).Edit: My cubes are not the Marine or extra insulated.

Ooops. Sorry. I meant 48qt, not 36qt....

#14 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:39 PM

Ooops. Sorry. I meant 48qt, not 36qt....

ah - that might work :stabby:

#15 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 14754 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 30 November 2009 - 02:58 PM

I am sure thatthe extremes hold temps better, but I never had much temp drop in the ice cube.

I've not used the Ice Cube as a MT, but I've used various coolers over the years, including several marine models. They just don't hold temps in cold weather like the Xtreme does.I have a Cube, and it just seems like a kind of mediocre cooler. Plus, no insulation in the lid.

#16 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9180 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 30 November 2009 - 03:04 PM

I did this except I used a manifold since I am fly sparging. I'm too new to say if it's better worse than any other type, but it's pretty easy to set up. Plus, it's pretty easy to covert back to just a regular cooler for gamedays as long as you keep the plastic drain stuff.

#17 Kremer

Kremer

Comptroller of MS Paint Diagrams and other vague unspecified stu

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9175 posts
  • Location38.360502, -85.311022 (Louisville, KY area)

Posted 30 November 2009 - 06:00 PM

i use to have a igloo ice cube 48 qts. The biggest beer I ever made 10 gallons of was a 1.075. It was probably 27lbs or so, and I probably went with 1qt per pound. It was filled up to the top.

I've had #34 and change in mine, a little thick, but no problems.

#18 SchwanzBrewer

SchwanzBrewer

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 34299 posts

Posted 30 November 2009 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I don't want to use the cubes, they are cheap mediocre coolers at best. This is going to be a dedicated Mash Tun. I will likely batch sparge at first and then figure out some way to fly sparge later. I haven't done any AG yet, and since this is a possible gift for me I might as well set the bar high.So... so far the Coleman Extreme 70 qt for batch seems to be the consensus.Anything else?Thanks for the replies!Cheers,Rich

#19 *_Guest_MW2_*

*_Guest_MW2_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 November 2009 - 09:07 PM

Yeah, I don't want to use the cubes, they are cheap mediocre coolers at best. Cheers,Rich

Thats just not true at all. Everybody has an opinion sure, but i have to whole heatedly disagree. But going by your thoughts, you can say that about any cooler to mash in. You say your wanting a dedicated MT, a cooler can be one, but if you want something to last and last, you need to find something in SS. Then i could agree with your statement as a comparative.

#20 ThroatwobblerMangrove

ThroatwobblerMangrove

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4491 posts

Posted 01 December 2009 - 04:22 AM

Thats just not true at all. Everybody has an opinion sure, but i have to whole heatedly disagree. But going by your thoughts, you can say that about any cooler to mash in. You say your wanting a dedicated MT, a cooler can be one, but if you want something to last and last, you need to find something in SS. Then i could agree with your statement as a comparative.

I hope they don't stop making the xtreme by the time I need to replace it :stabby:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users