#1 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 November 2021 - 08:55 AM

What are you guys using? I’ve used Bru’nWater in the past, but it doesn’t work with Mac I guess and that’s all I have anymore

#2 HVB

HVB

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 18047 posts

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:04 AM

I have used Bru'n Water and Mash Made easy.  Both are excel based so I assume that is the Mac issue?

#3 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:35 AM

I use open office to open the bru'n water sheet and it works fine.  It looks like you can get open office for mac so I'd try that.

#4 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 10 November 2021 - 09:42 AM

Alright; I’ll do that

#5 neddles

neddles

No Life

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16520 posts

Posted 11 November 2021 - 08:02 PM

There's nothing about a Mac that precludes using excel files. Unless you don't have excel or other compatible spreadsheet software installed.  

#6 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:23 PM

There's nothing about a Mac that precludes using excel files. Unless you don't have excel or other compatible spreadsheet software installed.

Yeah the second part. We use google sheets at work.

I actually did find a windows computer that we had around. The only thing it gets used for is the he seam inspector so now it gets another duty.

I’m having some trouble with BNW tho. I keep getting #NAME errors on my grain bill input page. It’s been a little while since I set up a brewery with it and I’m feeling a little rusty. The name error is weird and I can’t seem to find a way to fix it. I’ll have to email Martin.

The water input page is also having me scratch my head a bit. I got my report from Ward but I’m trying to remember how to enter the data. The cation/anion thing is confusing as is the Ion Concentration Calculator

#7 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 12 November 2021 - 01:32 PM

so on the water input you only need to fill out the light blue stuff on the top half of that tab.

Ca, Mg, Na, K (I put zero b/c I don't know), Fe (again zero), Bicarb, Carobnate, Sulfate, Chloride, Nitrate, Nitrite, Fluoride

and then total Alkalinity and pH

which ones are  you unsure of?  I've never used ward so I don't know how they report.

what's going on with your mash acidification tab?  which cells are you seeing that error on?  can you tell me which column it is (grain type, quantity (lb), etc.)?

Edited by Mando, 12 November 2021 - 01:33 PM.

#8 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25473 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:02 PM

Brewer's Friend has two water calculators available. basic and advanced

https://www.brewersf...ater-chemistry/

https://www.brewersf...ter-calculator/

John Palmer has a phone app for download

#9 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 13 November 2021 - 08:16 PM

If I remember correctly John palmer's old spread sheet did not seem to agree with bru'n water and bru'n water has been mostly spot on now that I actually measure pH.

#10 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25473 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:16 AM

If I remember correctly John palmer's old spread sheet did not seem to agree with bru'n water and bru'n water has been mostly spot on now that I actually measure pH.

Palmer now has a phone app. It works on target water profile for the style of beer you selected and allows you to see what you need to add to hit the style target numbers. It does not calculate pH, where the Brun' water does.

Some day, I will sit down and get my head wrapped around Brun' water. I am sure the math and science is solid, bit the presentation is annoying. I know, I know, others find it a breeze.

#11 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2021 - 08:34 AM

Palmer now has a phone app. It works on target water profile for the style of beer you selected and allows you to see what you need to add to hit the style target numbers. It does not calculate pH, where the Brun' water does.

Some day, I will sit down and get my head wrapped around Brun' water. I am sure the math and science is solid, bit the presentation is annoying. I know, I know, others find it a breeze.

naw I agree they need some serious work on the "user interface" (it's a spreadsheet yes but they could do a lot better).  it's basically just one of those things where once you use it a couple of times you remember exactly what you need to do and you straight up just ignore 80% of what's there.

if I remember correctly the biggest thing is just getting your water report in there the right way.  once that's done I would be glad to show anyone how to use it (I might struggle a little bit with the water report part depending on what your source information is like but I'm sure we could figure it out and that's a one time thing that you can then pretty much forget about unless your source water varies a lot).  I don't think it would take longer than 10-15 minutes for me to show someone who already knows at least the basics of brewing how to use bru'n water for the day to day stuff.

eta:  if there is interest in doing a zoom meeting or something I'd be happy show you guys how I use bru'n water and you could ask questions interactively.  as I said, it's way easier than you think.

Edited by Mando, 14 November 2021 - 08:40 AM.

#12 zymot

zymot

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25473 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 14 November 2021 - 10:50 AM

I use RO water, so it should be even easier. Once I get some free time, I am going to dig around and experiment and get it sorted out.

#13 denny

denny

Living Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9090 posts
  • LocationEugene OR

Posted 14 November 2021 - 12:06 PM

Yeah the second part. We use google sheets at work.

I actually did find a windows computer that we had around. The only thing it gets used for is the he seam inspector so now it gets another duty.

I’m having some trouble with BNW tho. I keep getting #NAME errors on my grain bill input page. It’s been a little while since I set up a brewery with it and I’m feeling a little rusty. The name error is weird and I can’t seem to find a way to fix it. I’ll have to email Martin.

The water input page is also having me scratch my head a bit. I got my report from Ward but I’m trying to remember how to enter the data. The cation/anion thing is confusing as is the Ion Concentration Calculator

Martin is very responsive if you want to ask him.

naw I agree they need some serious work on the "user interface" (it's a spreadsheet yes but they could do a lot better).  it's basically just one of those things where once you use it a couple of times you remember exactly what you need to do and you straight up just ignore 80% of what's there.

if I remember correctly the biggest thing is just getting your water report in there the right way.  once that's done I would be glad to show anyone how to use it (I might struggle a little bit with the water report part depending on what your source information is like but I'm sure we could figure it out and that's a one time thing that you can then pretty much forget about unless your source water varies a lot).  I don't think it would take longer than 10-15 minutes for me to show someone who already knows at least the basics of brewing how to use bru'n water for the day to day stuff.

eta:  if there is interest in doing a zoom meeting or something I'd be happy show you guys how I use bru'n water and you could ask questions interactively.  as I said, it's way easier than you think.

FWIW, Bru'nwater is not "they".  It's just Martin.

#14 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 14 November 2021 - 12:23 PM

Martin is very responsive if you want to ask him.

FWIW, Bru'nwater is not "they".  It's just Martin.

that makes sense.  my own personal spreadsheet would be no better :D

eta:  actually his is way better but since I made mine it's not an issue for me.

Edited by Mando, 14 November 2021 - 12:24 PM.

#15 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 November 2021 - 07:42 AM

Yeah I emailed him. After my brews today I’m gonna sit down with it and figure it out. He said to email him the file and he will check my work

#16 positiveContact

positiveContact

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68886 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 17 November 2021 - 09:17 AM

sorted?

#17 Gusso

Gusso

Secretary of In and Out

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 22070 posts
  • LocationThe Holy City

Posted 17 November 2021 - 04:06 PM

I had some issues when I started playing around with BrunWater. I think I got it down now.

#18 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49850 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 19 November 2021 - 10:17 AM

Sent him an email, just waiting to hear back

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users