#1 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49646 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:39 AM

Take a second to try and understand what you're working with here. I don't know shit about anything beyond drinking, male lactation, and copacetic-emetic, diabetic horse antiseptics. Talk to me like i'm a baby, and change my diaper while you're at it.

Let's start with the pot. 20 pound turkey. How big?

#2 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:51 AM

Generally recommended not to fry one that big?

Fryer pots are usually 32qt, but you might want bigger for that fat boy.

#3 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40260 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 16 October 2021 - 07:57 AM

Why do you want to do this? It takes a lot of uni-tasker equipment that is a pain in the ass. Just spatch that fecker and roast it.

#4 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97670 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

IMO not worth it. It's still turkey in the end.

#5 djinkc

djinkc

Comptroller of Non-Defending Defenders of Inarticulate Twats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 31976 posts
  • LocationKC - Kansas side

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:07 AM

It depends.  Do you really want to cook it or is burning down the neighborhood the plan?

#6 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:37 AM

Why do you want to do this? It takes a lot of uni-tasker equipment that is a pain in the ass. Just spatch that fecker and roast it.

No, it’s definitely a unique preparation

and given Vagus’ affection for “skin,” this is the way to go

#7 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68158 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 16 October 2021 - 08:51 AM

or spatch and hot smoke

#8 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49646 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 October 2021 - 09:10 AM

Me? Bro, there's like five things in the world i want to do: fight, write, science, drink, and THO. Everything else is servitude to others' wants. Agreed on the unnecessary specialized equipment. Also, i think some local FDs will fry a turkey if you bring it to them. I'm just pricing out the build. It's saturday and the family is out of town. Got nothing but time to shampoo the carpets and think about extraneous stuff.

And before you ask, im cleaning the carpets because it'll pisss off the wife. Gotta balance out the turkey thing.

I threw up 20 pound bird cuz that's what we usually bake, if there's an ideal size, im in. 10-15 lbs?  

#9 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4836 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:21 AM

Me? Bro, there's like five things in the world i want to do: fight, write, science, drink, and THO. Everything else is servitude to others' wants. Agreed on the unnecessary specialized equipment. Also, i think some local FDs will fry a turkey if you bring it to them. I'm just pricing out the build. It's saturday and the family is out of town. Got nothing but time to shampoo the carpets and think about extraneous stuff.

And before you ask, im cleaning the carpets because it'll pisss off the wife. Gotta balance out the turkey thing.

I threw up 20 pound bird cuz that's what we usually bake, if there's an ideal size, im in. 10-15 lbs?

Stick to a bird around 12 lbs, a 20 lb bird is gonna over cook on the outside before it’s done inside.
I inject the bird with cheap Italian dressing, filter the chunks out with cheese cloth and add in 1/4 cup or so of Cajun seasoning using an immersion blender. Inject the bird moving the needle around liberally the night before but not much longer or the meat will breakdown a bit.
Propane burner and the pot and stand/lift to pull the bird out can be found as a kit, or you can find the kit without the burner as well.
Take your bird and set it on the stand and put it in the pot, add water to a couple inches above the bird, pull the bird and measure the water to determine how much oil you’ll need.
When you’re ready to cook the bird set the bird out, pat it dry and let it air dry while you heat the oil to 325-350, I start at 350 and the temp will drop as soon as you add the bird. I don’t rub the bird with seasoning since it just burns in the oil and ruins it. Lower the bird into the oil and then pay attention to oil temp, keep it between 300-325.
Give it 3.5-4 minutes a pound, lift it out and check the temp in the breast and thigh, pull it out at 160 internal deep temp and foil it for 30-45 minutes or longer.
Slice and enjoy.

#10 idajack

idajack

Werecomptroller

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4836 posts

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:28 AM

https://www.walmart....pigot/580231229

Pretty good price on a setup, you can usually find them at Lowe’s or Home Depot as well.

#11 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49646 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:37 AM

Awesome. So 12 pound bird = 30ish quart pot?

#12 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54608 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:43 AM

isn't all of the equipment double as homebrewing equipment?  I guess maybe you don't want to use the giant pot for both?

#13 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44593 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

When you fill the oil into the pot, have the bird already in there so you account for the displacement. Then remove the bird before you heat it up of course.

#14 KSUwildcatFAN

KSUwildcatFAN

Comptroller of ChopSticks & Ghey Bach Chow

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7911 posts
  • LocationKC Area

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:01 AM

I personally feel fried turkey is far superior to roasted, but know others disagree. Never done it myself so I'm worthless in this thread, but support the adding of fat to the bird.

#15 Vagus

Vagus

Just had an organism

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 49646 posts
  • LocationThere

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:10 AM

isn't all of the equipment double as homebrewing equipment? I guess maybe you don't want to use the giant pot for both?

I was trying to start out slow. Got a 15 gal pot, should be fine to fry in ... right?

Really I think I just need the poultry platform and hook which is like $20

#16 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44593 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:30 AM

Personally, I’d use a different pot than for brewing. It’s hard to clean that all out

#17 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54608 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 16 October 2021 - 11:51 AM

Personally, I’d use a different pot than for brewing. It’s hard to clean that all out

yeah, I figured that might be the case.  you can at least use the burner though.  I use my sq-14 for stir fry sometimes.

#18 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25704 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:01 PM

The actual cooking is pretty fast. Cook 2 or 3 to make setup, clean up and oil worth it. 3 x12 lbs

Edited by Sidney Porter, 16 October 2021 - 01:02 PM.

#19 jammer

jammer

Atomic Chef Runner-Up

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3048 posts
  • LocationPDX

Posted 16 October 2021 - 01:50 PM

My oldest son did this a few years ago on Thanksgiving in the parking lot of our apartment building.  LOL.   I remember it went from almost ready to burnt in no time.  He redeemed himself on Christmas Day.  It was incredible.  

#20 jimdkc

jimdkc

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2900 posts
  • LocationIndependence, MO

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:47 PM

I've done it a few times. 14 lb. or so turkey in a 28 Quart pot. 

The step idajack mentioned about putting the bird on the stand, put it in the pot, add water to a couple inches above, then pull the turkey and measure the water to determine how much oil to use is *very* important! This is how you avoid burning down your house!

A couple of times, the next day I fried 2 or 3 chickens stacked on the stand in the same oil, and then fried a basket or 2 of frozen French fries AFTER all the poultry has been done. Makes great fries!

Note: Chickens take a couple minutes longer per pound. (I know... it's counterintuitive!)

Edited by jimdkc, 16 October 2021 - 10:49 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users