#41 BrewerGeorge

BrewerGeorge

His Royal Misinformed

• Administrator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 43480 posts
  • LocationIndianapolis

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:20 PM

Makes sense considering that the major force behind the movement to ban "Saturday Night Specials" back then was intended to get cheap guns out of the hands of the poor and people of color.

#42 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45003 posts

Posted 03 November 2021 - 08:38 PM

I just watched it.  Again, they weren't (aren't?) my thing but I'm glad I watched it.  RVZ didn't actually seem like a bad guy at all except that he was a mean drunk.  I don't think the documentary was about to trash his image so maybe they left the worst of it out.  Wild that they got really big but still played small venues of 100 or 150 people.  I like that RVZ also said that the point of The Who tour was to upstage The Who and I also liked where they walked on "the tongue" of the Rolling Stones stage and peeved them.  :lol:  

#43 Thag

Thag

Comptroller of Nothing

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 47523 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 04:25 AM

The documentaries are usually made by fans of the bands. It is not shocking that they leave out the parts that are not flattering to their idols. It does make you question if it really is a documentary or just purely entraining when facts are omitted.

#44 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13461 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:42 AM

I just watched it. Again, they weren't (aren't?) my thing but I'm glad I watched it. RVZ didn't actually seem like a bad guy at all except that he was a mean drunk. I don't think the documentary was about to trash his image so maybe they left the worst of it out. Wild that they got really big but still played small venues of 100 or 150 people. I like that RVZ also said that the point of The Who tour was to upstage The Who and I also liked where they walked on "the tongue" of the Rolling Stones stage and peeved them. :lol:

Someone who cuts up the hands of a person who makes a living with their hands doesn’t seem like a nice person

#45 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45003 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:43 AM

The documentaries are usually made by fans of the bands. It is not shocking that they leave out the parts that are not flattering to their idols. It does make you question if it really is a documentary or just purely entraining when facts are omitted.

Agreed.  Was there talk about racial/racist language onstage?  A few band members mentioned "loving everyone" so not sure if that needs to be squared or not.  Another thing:  I forget all about "That Smell".  Haven't heard it in forever but it actually sounded really good.  The other thing that stood out (unless I blacked out) was that they never mentioned or played "Gimme Three Steps" during the documentary.  I assumed that was among their biggest hits and I feel like they swept it under the rug.  Sweet Home Alabama and Freebird are boring to me.  Saturday Night Special, That Smell and Gimme Three Steps are better, IMO.  

#46 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45003 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 06:46 AM

Someone who cuts up the hands of a person who makes a living with their hands doesn’t seem like a nice person

I agree.  No question at all.  But it was put in the context that he was a mean drunk.  Again, the people who put the documentary together may have found the softest, fluffiest and nicest things that RVZ ever said and put that audio into the show.  None of the remaining people seemed to have a bad word about him other than that he was a mean drunk.  Even Gary Rossington didn't seem peeved about what RVZ did to him.  For those who are more plugged into the complete story, you probably know much more about what went on.  But for someone who is getting most of the information from the documentary, I'm sure I'm operating without all the facts.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 04 November 2021 - 07:08 AM.

#47 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 26636 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 04 November 2021 - 08:02 AM

My wife and I walked out of their concert when their singer went on a long rant about all the porch monkeys in Jacksonville taking all our hard earned tax dollars. 15 years ago at Wild Adventures in Valdosta. We were not the only to leave, but it was a small trickle.

I had friends that lived in Jacksonville beach and there next door neighbor was a member of the band. They never had much to say positive about the guy. I don't think he was an original member.

I moved in 2012 so that would have also been in the 15 years ago window. I doubt they have improved since then.

When I lived there I knew one van zant who was a cousin. She was down around green cove. She never really wanted to discuss the family and said she had very little interaction but kept the name when she got married because it was good for business

#48 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 45003 posts

Posted 04 November 2021 - 09:06 AM

So those comments were made by the younger brother Johnny VZ, right?

The documentary made it clear that there were A LOT of people to come and go in that band.  I don't know the actual number of humans who have played in the various forms of the band but it's a lot.  Somewhere in there the drummer Artimus Pyle made a point of saying that he loves Black people, Asian people, Hispanic people, gay people, etc.  There was no prompting and there was no context so I wonder what made him go to that topic.  I wondered if an interviewer asked him about comments made by JVZ and he felt like he had to spread on some butter or something.  It's an interesting story.  They also didn't really cover the Neil Young thing very much.  It was briefly mentioned but not in much depth.  

#49 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7964 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:12 PM

Probably my favorite of theirs, at least right now.  Not their song but they fucking kill it.  It is a little funny to hear about Ronnie being such a perfectionist and then he misses the first fecking line of the song.  Chris Gaines 'singing' along/answering is awesome.

#50 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7964 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 05 November 2021 - 11:41 PM

After seeing another live version, maybe he always came in late?  Timing for the vocals to come in was definitely different from the album version.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youre welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users