#21 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:06 AM

Any King fan's might be interested to know where his famous '59 Burst "Red Eye" ended up. If you have a GP sub you can probably skip.

Interesting. I knew he had it, but I’d not heard that he had to make special arrangements to be able to afford it

#22 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:09 AM

Was it Ed that Ronnie attacked with broken glass and cut his hands all up, while saying something to the effect of "you'll never play guitar again"?  That's way past some bar-brawlin' shit.  That dude was nuts.  I grew up on and love Skynyrd's music, but it kinda soured my image of them (or at least Ronnie).  I'd GTFO of a dysfunctional group like too, even being on top of the world at the time.

well, i guess Ronnie got out in his own way....  :P

#23 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

Comptroller of Teh Beefs and other beeflike animals that are tas

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6644 posts
  • LocationGreat Plains, KS

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:22 AM

'59 burst in good shape worth about 500k without any provenance. Being that it's such a famous one, like gary moore's, I'm guessing it was pushing the 2 mill mark, overwise JI wouldn't have blinked.

#24 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6644 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:25 AM

Kirk Hammett owns gary moore's '59 burst btw, the one that originally belonged to peter green.

#25 Big Nake

Big Nake

Comptroller of Forum Content

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 09:34 AM

They were never my thing but they were huge when I was younger so I heard plenty of it.  I knew about the plane crash and some of the rowdy behavior but not the part that Zaph mentioned about racist language while onstage.  I can't really think of a time or place during their run when that would have been considered reasonable or appropriate.  Was it Eric Clapton's onstage comments that were recently brought to light or was that someone else?  That's some backwards shit.    

#26 Patrick C.

Patrick C.

Comproller of Toilet Tank Vodka

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7485 posts
  • LocationAcworth GA

Posted 07 October 2021 - 10:16 AM

Was it Ed that Ronnie attacked with broken glass and cut his hands all up, while saying something to the effect of "you'll never play guitar again"?  That's way past some bar-brawlin' shit.  That dude was nuts.  I grew up on and love Skynyrd's music, but it kinda soured my image of them (or at least Ronnie).  I'd GTFO of a dysfunctional group like too, even being on top of the world at the time.

It was Gary.  I didn't know the story, but just watched this last night.  

lyn.jpg?w=532&h=535

Pic is from the show the night after.

#27 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11738 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

Ah, I couldn't quite remember the details. Ronnie was a POS really.

#28 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:08 AM

'59 burst in good shape worth about 500k without any provenance. Being that it's such a famous one, like gary moore's, I'm guessing it was pushing the 2 mill mark, overwise JI wouldn't have blinked.

The Google says it went for $650k

#29 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6644 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:18 AM

The Google says it went for $650k

Damn, he shoulda bought two at that price!

#30 Beejus McReejus

Beejus McReejus

Comptroller of Flying Ducks

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11738 posts
  • LocationTopeka, KS

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:34 AM

I couldn't imagine paying that much money for a guitar.  Especially if I have to jump through a bunch of fundraising hoops to get the cash for it.  That guitar didn't sound any more special in the video than a $2K guitar.  To each their own man, but that's a lot of money for a guitfiddle.

#31 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6644 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:43 AM

Real bursts are the pinnacle of stupid guitar pricing, real korina explorers are basically the same. I've heard guys who have played bursts that were dogs too, so they aren't all created equal. Back in the 90's you could snag a burst for about 20-25k, then they jumped to over 100k in just a few years, then the pandemic made prices about double on some stuff. Hard to tell what some of those things are worth anymore other than "a lot". 

#32 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:48 AM

54 strats pack a punch to the wallet as well, even with no provenance.  but still pale compared to the bursts and vintage martin acoustics.

#33 siouxbrewer

siouxbrewer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6644 posts

Posted 07 October 2021 - 11:54 AM

A burst and a goldtop are the same guitar so they should sound the same, and a gold top with humbuckers is even rarer, but it isn't worth nearly as much. Shit, a matched set of real PAF's alone are worth 10k

#34 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:04 AM

I watched the documentary last night. I didn’t think it was particularly great. Did learn some things.

I didn’t realize so many people were on the plane. I thought it was a smaller plane and didn’t know they all were on it. I also didn’t realize that they knew the plane had mechanical issues ahead of time

Definitely seems like Ronnie was not a great person.

A burst and a goldtop are the same guitar so they should sound the same, and a gold top with humbuckers is even rarer, but it isn't worth nearly as much. Shit, a matched set of real PAF's alone are worth 10k

I’ve always kinda wanted a gold top because Dickey Betts was so influential to me. I love the Les Paul sound, but they just don’t seem to fit well in my hands

Edited by Howie, 08 October 2021 - 06:17 AM.

#35 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:28 AM

I watched the documentary last night. I didn’t think it was particularly great. Did learn some things.

I didn’t realize so many people were on the plane. I thought it was a smaller plane and didn’t know they all were on it. I also didn’t realize that they knew the plane had mechanical issues ahead of time

I read a wiki page about the crash... Greenville, SC to Baton Rouge where they were supposed to play at LSU the next night. The plane ran out of fuel which is insane. The band concluded that for such a high profile band, they needed a better plane and that flight was supposed to be the last one on that plane because it was 30 years old which puts it back to 1947.   :blink:  Plane crashed in Gillsburg, MS.  Ronnie was tired and laying on the floor so he didn't have a seatbelt on.  They tried putting it down in a field but couldn't make it.  They started to hit treetops and some survivors said it sounded like BBs were hitting the bottom of the plane.  Then apparently the plane directly hit a GIANT tree and the plane opened up at that point.   

#36 Big Nake

Big Nake

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 40707 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 07:25 AM

This thread also made me go look up the feud between Neill Young and Lynyrd Skynyrd.  I kind of knew about it but wasn't sure how it all came out.  Neill Young being a liberal Canadian thought the American South was backwards but RVZ was a Neil Young fan and often wore a Neill Young t-shirt onstage.  Neill Young released "Southern Man" and "Alabama" and offended many southerners so Sweet Home Alabama took a shot at Neil Young... and then they all kissed and made up and Neil Young supposedly performed Sweet Home Alabama live and also wrote a song for LS that was never recorded because of the plane crash.  Young also held some type of benefit/tribute show where he played a number of LS songs.  

Edited by ER Pemberton, 08 October 2021 - 07:26 AM.

#37 Car ChuckRam

Car ChuckRam

Rami!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 9523 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:47 PM

Another thing I learned recently, is RVZ was fervently anti gun. Like confiscate no place at all in society, anti. 

#38 Dave in Indiana

Dave in Indiana

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 5705 posts
  • Locationa bustle in your hedgerow

Posted 08 October 2021 - 05:59 PM

Another thing I learned recently, is RVZ was fervently anti gun. Like confiscate no place at all in society, anti. 

yep.

Mr. Saturday night special
Got a barrel that's blue and cold
Ain't good for nothin
But put a man six feet in a hole

Hand guns are made for killin'
They ain't no good for nothin' else.
And if you like to drink your whiskey
You might even shoot yourself.
So why don't we dump 'em people
To the bottom of the sea
Before some ol' fool come around here
Wanna shoot either you or me.

#39 Stains_not_here_man

Stains_not_here_man

Phat O'Mic Chef Winner!

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 97670 posts

Posted 08 October 2021 - 06:36 PM

Powerful

#40 Howie

Howie

Feltersnatch

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12895 posts
  • LocationRaleigh, NC

Posted 08 October 2021 - 09:06 PM

Yeah. They talked about that in the doc

Can’t say I’ve ever paid much attention to Saturday Night Special’s lyrics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: youre welcome

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users