21 replies to this topic

#1 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15746 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:02 AM

I'm thinking of getting one of those tire inflator things. I'm lazy and I like the idea of a machines that auto stop at preset PSI. The air compressor is a production.

I'm looking for one big enough to do SUV/truck tires. The auto-stop function. And preferably one that works both on AC and DC. 

Any suggestions of something they like? Bonus if it's on Amazon.

#2 japh

japh

Winner!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 11818 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:11 AM

My mom has one that's a simply Black and Decker, seems to work just fine. 

#3 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

Comptroller of C-Blocking and Wet Streak Marks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:23 AM

i really like the idea of a hose setup like this, all 4 tires at once.

diy-4-tire-inflator-and-deflator-off-roa

#4 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68159 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:31 AM

watching thread closely, need something to keep in the Subie

#5 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10408 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:06 PM

This is the one I use:  https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Runs off cig lighter adapter; works great.

Once nice thing I like about it is, you program the pressure (say, 35 psi) and the pump shuts off once the target pressure is reached.

#6 Mando

Mando

Anti-Brag Queen

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 54609 posts
  • LocationLimbo

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:11 PM

It's crazy to me how cheap that is.

#7 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 September 2021 - 12:18 PM

This is the one I use:  https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Once nice thing I like about it is, you program the pressure (say, 35 psi) and the pump shuts off once the target pressure is reached.

I think my folks have that exact same one.

#8 Sidney Porter

Sidney Porter

Comptroller of the Banninated

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25704 posts
  • LocationColumbus OH

Posted 24 September 2021 - 02:49 PM

I'm thinking of getting one of those tire inflator things. I'm lazy and I like the idea of a machines that auto stop at preset PSI. The air compressor is a production.

I'm looking for one big enough to do SUV/truck tires. The auto-stop function. And preferably one that works both on AC and DC.

Any suggestions of something they like? Bonus if it's on Amazon.

I have had some of the cigarette lighter ones. The are great for an emergency or to top a tire but they are slow to actually fill. We have one (different bands) in each of the cars but at home I am using a compressor.

#9 3rd party JKor

3rd party JKor

Puller of Meats

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 57000 posts
  • LocationNW of Boston

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:07 PM

I have a cheap little one i bought ages ago, must be at least 10 years. It keeps on working and i’ve used it a lot. It’s slow as hell when it comes to pumping up a tire that’s a few psi down. I wonder if the newer ones are faster?

#10 Dave McG

Dave McG

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 7119 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 24 September 2021 - 03:19 PM

Some boast crazy high pressures. That's a sign of garbage. Car tires are around 32 to 40 psi, bikes might hit 110. It's cheaper for them to up the pressure than it is to up the volume/time.
I have one by Slime that runs off the lighter and it's somewhat quick. It advertised fill speed instead of max psi.

#11 brewguy

brewguy

Frequent Member

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3882 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 05:03 PM

This is the one I use: https://smile.amazon...e?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This place scares me sometimes.

One of the tires on the car dropped a few psi, and it triggered a warning light that pops up every time I start the car. I have not looked into it, but I think it limits some of the features until you re-inflate and recalibrate the system. So you need to inflate all of the tires to the recommended psi, go in to the car settings, and do the reset.

I tried a gas station, but with the heat, and the drive over, the psi on all of he tires was over the recommended setting. On Wednesday, I was about to break down and pick up a tire inflator. Specifically, a tire inflator with a programmable pressure setting.

One of the complaints with the one you linked is the screw on connector. Is that a PITA or no big deal? Some of the others have a quick connect like you see on a bike pump.

#12 Genesee Ted

Genesee Ted

yabba dabba doob

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 44593 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY

Posted 24 September 2021 - 07:42 PM

i really like the idea of a hose setup like this, all 4 tires at once.

diy-4-tire-inflator-and-deflator-off-roa

Seems extra. I’m not a nascar moonshine smuggler. I’ve got time to do one tar at a tom

#13 porter

porter

Comptroller of Affairs with Potatoes

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15369 posts
  • LocationColorado Springs, CO

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:05 PM

This seems profoundly lazy. Not that I'm not profoundly lazy with respect to certain things, but it takes just a minute or two to top off tires  and confirm pressures to be close enough, not particularly arduous, maybe somewhat enjoyable, in comparison to some tasks of modernity. I mean, it makes sense if you don't already own a portable air compressor, I guess.

#14 TonyBrown

TonyBrown

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76105 posts
  • LocationRedneckistan

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:30 PM

This seems profoundly lazy. Not that I'm not profoundly lazy with respect to certain things, but it takes just a minute or two to top off tires  and confirm pressures to be close enough, not particularly arduous, maybe somewhat enjoyable, in comparison to some tasks of modernity. I mean, it makes sense if you don't already own a portable air compressor, I guess.

it makes sense if you want all your tires at the exact same pressure across the board.  this is more of an ORV thing when people drop pressure for crawling and stuff and do it frequently for a day out wheelin or somethin.

#15 dagomike

dagomike

Comptroller of CrapPapples

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15746 posts

Posted 24 September 2021 - 11:57 PM

My air compressor can’t run off of a cigarette adapter. Nor fit in my CRV. Nor does my hose and reel reach across the garage to all tires where they’re parked.

#16 zymot

zymot

Comptroller of Small Amounts of Money

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 23408 posts
  • LocationMortville

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:18 AM

I have had three of the cigarette lighter powered air pumps. All three stopped working on me.

I would buy a fourth pump if I had confidence in it's durability.

#17 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10408 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:49 AM

One of the tires on the car dropped a few psi, and it triggered a warning light that pops up every time I start the car. I have not looked into it, but I think it limits some of the features until you re-inflate and recalibrate the system. So you need to inflate all of the tires to the recommended psi, go in to the car settings, and do the reset.

I tried a gas station, but with the heat, and the drive over, the psi on all of he tires was over the recommended setting. On Wednesday, I was about to break down and pick up a tire inflator. Specifically, a tire inflator with a programmable pressure setting.

One of the complaints with the one you linked is the screw on connector. Is that a PITA or no big deal? Some of the others have a quick connect like you see on a bike pump.

I've had no issues with this inflator, including the connector.  Threads on to the valve stem pretty easily, and as far as I can tell, any air lost during connecting/disconnecting the inflator is minimal.

All said, it's solid.

#18 VolFan

VolFan

Comptroller of teh spr0ts

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10866 posts
  • LocationEast TN

Posted 25 September 2021 - 04:55 AM

Certain vehicles monitor the spare tire and will trigger the warning light.

#19 Bklmt2000

Bklmt2000

Five Way Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10408 posts
  • LocationCincinnati, OH

Posted 25 September 2021 - 05:45 AM

Certain vehicles monitor the spare tire and will trigger the warning light.

I have a Toyota Matrix, and every fall when the temp starts dropping, i get this warning on my dashboard.  A quick tire topup with air and the warning light goes away.

#20 miccullen

miccullen

Cheap Blue Meanie

• Patron
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 68159 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 25 September 2021 - 08:36 AM

Seems extra. I’m not a nascar moonshine smuggler. I’ve got time to do one tar at a tom

if you got 4 flats at once  an inflator isn't doing shit for you

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: PHBT, Florida, zombies

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users